Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of flying

Options
  • 14-05-2019 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I have an insane fear of flying which is more prominent now given all the latest crashes. I know the 2 planes that crashed were the same plane (airbus 777 max is it?)
    I am thinking to book a holiday to Spain or somewhere in the summer and I want to MAKE SURE I'm not flying on one of these planes... is it possible to? Do I avoid Ryanair cos they have some? Is aer lingus safer? Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Chances are if youre only going to Europe you'll likely be on a Boeing 737 or Airbus A320. And there are hundreds of these flying through Europe each hour without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The last two highly publicized crashes were a Russian aircraft you won't get anywhere near out of Dublin and a new model of Boeing 737 that is currently grounded worldwide. As GBX said, you'll likely be flying an A320 or a more mature model of Boeing 737 that have impeccable safety records. Potentially you'll be flying an A330 with Aer Lingus on some routes at some times, again another impeccable safety record. Also worth noting that both Ryanair and Aer Lingus are incredibly safe airlines. Aer Lingus hasn't had a crash fatality in 50 years and as far as I know Ryanair has never, ever had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither Ryanair or Aer Lingus has had a fatal incident in decades - ever for Ryanair, over 50 for Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The last two highly publicized crashes were a Russian aircraft you won't get anywhere near out of Dublin and a new model of Boeing 737 that is currently grounded worldwide. As GBX said, you'll likely be flying an A320 or a more mature model of Boeing 737 that have impeccable safety records. Potentially you'll be flying an A330 with Aer Lingus on some routes at some times, again another impeccable safety record. Also worth noting that both Ryanair and Aer Lingus are incredibly safe airlines. Aer Lingus hasn't had a crash fatality in 50 years and as far as I know Ryanair has never, ever had one.

Q

Thanks a lot. I know that both airlines have a great safety record but was only worried would this change with the new airplane I don't know what it's called (the max one?) is ryanair using this plane at all? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Q
    is ryanair using this plane at all? Thanks

No there not. (Yet) Nobody is for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thebond

The new ones are called 737 - MAX, Ryanair had some on order, however due to the previous accidents, all 737 MAX are grounded, and none are flying worldwide at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I too have a fear of flying, but just back from Portugal on a aer lingus a330, great plane, its so much better at take off and landing compared to the a320 and 737, also lots of room and not claustrophobic.

Advertisement