Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television bought in February 2017

Options
  • 13-05-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,

Probably dont't have a leg to stand on. In February 2017 bought a televison from Argos (still have receipt)

Over the last couple of months since I have had a change in career which involved last travelling and more time at home. There seems to be a couple of issues with the tv I purchased. There is no physical damaged done to the tv.

But here are issues.

1. randomly turns off every second day for no reason.

2. When I press the button to turn on the tv. All I get is a flashing infared light for about 10 seconds then diseappers and nothing appears on screen unless the tv is unplugged from the mains and then plugged back in again this is a regular occurrence.

The tv in question. is HITACHI 48 OLED UHD 2D

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Buy a new TV from richer sounds (check their forum) with 6 year guarantee and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would check to see if there's a software update - if its a smart TV and not connected to the internet it'll usually come down automatically when connected or there may be a method to force it.

If nothing improved you could try arguing that it's a manufacturing fault and that it's still within its reasonable lifespan but its almost inevitable you'd have to take a small claims case to get that and likely get partial value for it if anything. There's 49" UHD TVs for €370 now so its whether you think its worth it or not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oconnor.mike81

tv is connected to the internet . no software updates found yet. may try their website .
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got a replacement for a 6 year old Samsung TV as I found that the fault was a known one from research online. Samsung replaced it with only a little argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The TV is only 2 years old, so I would definitely consider it to be within its useful lifetime, and I wouldn’t expect faults like these to be appearing.

Try the software update approach, but failing that I suggest contacting Argos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Buy a new TV from richer sounds (check their forum) with 6 year guarantee and move on with your life.

No way, why give up on a new TV when you have full statutory rights to fall back on.
    It's nice for RS to state 6 year guarantee but you are well protected with your statutory rights without the retailer stating it or not
    dudara wrote: »
    The TV is only 2 years old, so I would definitely consider it to be within its useful lifetime, and I wouldn’t expect faults like these to be appearing.

Try the software update approach, but failing that I suggest contacting Argos

This, you have a contract with Argos and your TV should be perfect after two years, go into Argos and describe your issue, don't let them tell you it's out of their 1/2 year guarantee as your statutory rights way exceed this store policy, don't let them fob you onto the manufacturer either.
    Argos need to sort the issue, repair, replace or refund and you need to agree to the remedy also.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Statutory rights do not guarantee that it has to be "perfect" after two years (or any time point), they cover manufacturing defects. The described issue sounds liable to be a manufacturing issue but could also have happened for an external factor that has nothing to do with that.

Hi All,

was the argos website. The issue I described are known issues for the television.
    https://www.argos-support.co.uk/5487673-hitachi-48-inch-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv

Regards,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Assuming it’s a cheap UMC/Vestel built tv? Sharp, Bush(vestel I think)

The problem here is your capacitors and thru need to be replaced. Always happens with these cheap TVs. Cheap enough job to fix yourself if the TV was 4-5yo. Bring it back to Argos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think the OP may have thrown everyone with his original description of the TV. I did internally question "Hitachi" and "OLED" in the same sentence but guessed it was the manufacturer that may have been incorrect.

It's a low end LCD, not an OLED. This is important as after 2 years you won't even get much back from the SCC for such a device. That gives you very little leverage to push the retailer to do anything, unfortunately. Were it an actual OLED (still very hard to find one for less that €1000) everyone here would be pushing you to the SCC as it's not reasonable for such a costly device to only last 2 years and even after 2 years of use you'd easily get at least 2/3 of the value back from a SCC judge.

I wouldn't even waste the money/time on an attempt at repair tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

theteal wrote: »
    This is important as after 2 years you won't even get much back from the SCC for such a device.

I disagree .

There is a reasonable expectation that a TV set will last more than 2 years regardless of its underlying technology.

....... wrote: »
    I disagree .

There is a reasonable expectation that a TV set will last more than 2 years regardless of its underlying technology.

It's the price that's the key. The underlying tech was just an indicator of the amount of money paid for the item. I agree that a TV should last over 2 years but I'd guess that this telly cost about £300 (current price from google search) so I'd be of the opinion that the OP isn't going to get much return from the SCC after 2 years of use.

The tv is a HITACHI, contacted HITACHI they give me the proverbial two fingers and to contact the seller in this case Argos.

But about cheap television comment. We had a Samsung after 4 years, the screen went blank but the sound was still working.

Got it fixed for €120 by a guy in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

theteal wrote: »
    It's the price that's the key. The underlying tech was just an indicator of the amount of money paid for the item. I agree that a TV should last over 2 years but I'd guess that this telly cost about £300 (current price from google search) so I'd be of the opinion that the OP isn't going to get much return from the SCC after 2 years of use.

No matter how much it cost I think its reasonable to expect a tv to last more than 2 years.

....... wrote: »
    No matter how much it cost I think its reasonable to expect a tv to last more than 2 years.

Very reasonable. What have Argos actually said?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Hi All,

was the argos website. The issue I described are known issues for the television.
    https://www.argos-support.co.uk/5487673-hitachi-48-inch-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv

Regards,

Mike
    Did their solution fix your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

The screen on our LG smart went black 6 days after our 12mth warranty, I brought it back to Argos. They said that they had to send it LG who took a month to repair and return it. I collected it today and they told me LG will guarantee it for 3 months. I asked if I should have had a new set but was told with it being 6 days outside of warranty I was lucky to have it repaired free.

FMG wrote: »
    The screen on our LG smart went black 6 days after our 12mth warranty, I brought it back to Argos. They said that they had to send it LG who took a month to repair and return it. I collected it today and they told me LG will guarantee it for 3 months. I asked if I should have had a new set but was told with it being 6 days outside of warranty I was lucky to have it repaired free.

Don't worry about what they say, the warranty means nothing in Irish consumer law. As long as you didn't damage it you're protected by consumer rights for a much longer period than that. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're entitled to a new set but the do ave to offer one of the 3 "R"s i.e. repair, replace, refund. Now if your repair was not successful* I would be pushing for one of the other "R"s

*timeframe matters obviously e.g. if it went again within say 6 months I'd be looking a swap, beyond that another repair may be seen as reasonable but that would be the last repair I'd be accepting.

Advertisement