Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas on how to avoid homelessness with 25 -30,000 euros in the bank?

Options
  • 14-05-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I'm in I'm in a flat for now but only for the next three years until the lease runs out and I can't predict whether they're going to keep me on or not or if they'll even give me a reference which I need an it's the first place I've ever rented. I could end up when somewhere between €25,000 to €30,000 in savings so I'm trying to just ask everyone and anyone if they can come up with any sort of idea where I can use this money to get me out of returning to hostels full of stressed out violent heroin addicts that means you'd rather sleep on the street on a sheet of cardboard. I've considered a campervan but I can't drive. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you'll have that much money why can't you rent? Are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You have a three year lease and 30 grand in the bank and you're worrying about homelessness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi I'm in I'm in a flat for now but only for the next three years until the lease runs out and I can't predict whether they're going to keep me on or not or if they'll even give me a reference which I need an it's the first place I've ever rented. I could end up when somewhere between €25,000 to €30,000 in savings so I'm trying to just ask everyone and anyone if they can come up with any sort of idea where I can use this money to get me out of returning to hostels full of stressed out violent heroin addicts that means you'd rather sleep on the street on a sheet of cardboard. I've considered a campervan but I can't drive. Thanks.

Buy a small apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Relax, you have nothing to worry about!

In 3 years' time there'll be a new government in power which will include Sinn Fein.

Sinn Fein's loathsome housing spokesperson Owen O'Brien (aka the brains behind MEP Lynn Boylan) appears to regard tenants as gods and landlords as vermin, so once they have their fat greasy fingers on the levers of power, you will immediately become unevictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Have you an education or training? Put it into your education, or see about social welfare providing you with training on something. Get yourself a job, and you're in a far better position to avoid homelessness in the future.

And you may still have a few bob in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Assuming you're earning money, I reckon you could pay rent with your income.
    If you're not earning money and don't expect to you should look for accommodation outside of Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's a lot of joke threads being made on this forum lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

A 3 year lease and 30k in the bank.

I blame McVerry for this sort of nonsense.

The word 'homeless' has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So like, buy an apartment? or move to the south of Spain and open your own bar and have an easy life. You're in a good position financially.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Everyone is assuming OP has €25-€30k in savings but I think he means he could have that saved by the end of the 3 years. He's in his first rental and has mentioned not wanting to go back to hostels so perhaps buying is not really in his sights right now if he's just starting out.

OP, you mentioned a campervan bu tyou can't drive - you have three years to learn. Also, anything could happen in those three years, you could move to another rental place yourself, you might get a promotion or new job that pays more than you currently earn meaning you can save more. Try to save regularly so that you could be in the position to buy a place in three years if that is what you would like. Otherwise you will just need to keep an eye on the rental market in the meantime - a lot could change in 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Learn to drive in the next 3 years and then buy a camper van!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

ashes2014 wrote:
    Learn to drive in the next 3 years and then buy a camper van!

Do not do this, it's not really suited for year round living in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Do not do this, it's not really suited for year round living in Ireland

To say nothing of the difficulty in finding somewhere to park it long term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Caranica wrote: »
    To say nothing of the difficulty in finding somewhere to park it long term

Join a travelling community

Advertisement