Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So, it's a couple of years later and our eldest asked me about watching Game of Thrones. He'd grown up watching us being excited at each new season premiere and there being various bits of merch about the house and when he's finally old enough to watch it, I'm sorry to say I had to tell him not to bother that the last two seasons ruined what I'd considered to that point to be one of the greatest TV series ever. Might re-watch The Wire with him instead...

And I think that says it all about how badly Benioff & Weiss tanked their own show and destroyed it's legacy imo: even huge fans of the early seasons can't recommend it to the next generation. Delighted to see that neither appears to have had any real involvement in a major series or film since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I can't remember where I saw it (It may have been on Boards, maybe elsewhere) the post was basically about how it fell off the radar SO hard. We are still talking about The Wire, still talking about Breaking Bad, about The Sopranos. Hell, we are still talking about FRIENDS!!! Repeating catchphrases etc.

And yet within weeks of this finishing, nobody was talking about it. You'll get the rare "You know nothing, John Snow" but nobody is on about it anymore. The trailer for the new spinoff appeared last week and there isn't even a mention of it on any threads here. Amazing.

If you're interested, the trailer is here. I mean... it looks fine but I believe that most of the big names attached are already confirmed to only be in season one. There will be no "They killed my n*gger Ned" moments of surprise on this show.

NSFW:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Never seen a single episode but I remember people being hooked back in the day. Was going to ask the very question is it worth watching but you've answered that question. I don't need to invest in another tv show that will leave me feeling cheated (thanks a lot 'Lost'). 🤬 I'll never bloody forgive you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have almost no interest in House of the Dragon after the absolute disaster that was S8 of the main show. It was so bad I even get annoyed thinking about it now despite having not thought about it for a long time.

As someone correctly said above, it was so badly botched that the show, and the Game of Thrones brand, just dropped off the radar completely despite being one of the biggest media phenomenons in the world.

It doesn't even really get talked about, other than in the context of how bad the ending was.

It's even more unforgivable given the first four seasons were absolute TV perfection - some of the best ever made. Season 5 and 6 aren't perfect but they're still very good and continued the story in a compelling way, its paced and feels like 'classic' Game of Thrones with a few big issues.

It only started going downhill badly and blatantly obviously with Season 7 when it abruptly transformed into a different show with the same characters, but Season 8 is an absolute joke altogether.

Those last two seasons are more or less poor fan fiction, just a bad imitation of Game of Thrones, containing nothing whatsoever of what made the previous seasons so good at their best points. Rushed, awful pacing, appalling dialogue, characters completely not true to form, characters suddenly develop comical levels of plot armor, not to mention previous plot points ignored, etc.

I will never watch it again because I consider it unwatchable knowing the end point, and how the vast majority of everything so carefully and meticulously built over such a long period of time is just casually thrown aside because the writers stopped caring.

It also makes it impossible to recommend as a show worth watching. And finally, I hate when people say it's because people didn't get the ending they wanted. It is not the ending on paper, it's how they got to the ending.

From the very first season there are lots of things in Game of Thrones no-one "wanted" but it was so masterfully done people couldn't help but love it.

Advertisement