Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel if Formula

Options
  • 14-05-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi can somebody advise please or provide a link to some instructions, thanks.

I would like to add a formula to a column where by if a given cells (product) code begins with 1 or 2 a corresponding cell will show a certain text depending on which.

i would also like to account for times where by the formulated column may be blank or contain a different value and so the corresponding cell should then remain to be manually filled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Have a look here: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/excel-functions-by-category-5f91f4e9-7b42-46d2-9bd1-63f26a86c0eb

For the first scenario, you probably need LEFT to extract the start of the product code.

e.g. IF( LEFT(A2, 1) = "1", "One", "Not One" )
    If the first character in the A2 cell is "1", then value of this cell will be "One", otherwise it will be "Not One".

To check if a cell is empty, use ISBLANK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This should cover other values in the cells, paste in top cell and drag it down.
    in B1: =IF(LEFT(A1,1)="1","Text1",(IF(LEFT(A1,1)="2","Text2","other or empty")))

return count of code "1????" in D13: =COUNTIF(B1:B10,"Text1")

return count of code "2????" in D14: =COUNTIF(B1:B10,"Text2")

return count of code "any other value" in D15: =COUNTIF(B1:B10,"other or empty")

480278.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Thanks for the above. I will experiment and be back with more questions surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Or, instead counting "text" values, you could count actual codes starting with "1", etc.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($A$1:$A$10,1)="1"))

Advertisement