Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old Ram

Options
  • 14-05-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have a chance to buy a 5YO Stock Ram from a reputable breeder. Cracking big Ram, but he is 350e. Is a 5 year old ram to old, will I get 2 good years out of him ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭kk.man

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I have a chance to buy a 5YO Stock Ram from a reputable breeder. Cracking big Ram, but he is 350e. Is a 5 year old ram to old, will I get 2 good years out of him ?

Did you check his teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Too old for that price. They can go downhill very quick at that age over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Half that money id chance him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

If you mind him with a bit of extra feed and watch his feet, there should be no problem. The amount of rams lost after tipping due not being minded is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Could be a better buy than a young unproven ram, if he’s minded and not overworked he could do 2-3years no problem if his teeth aren’t worn. Only you know how rams normally do with you, if they don’t usually last then you need a fit young ram otherwise he could be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Like everything else, could be lucky or unlucky. I’d only pay what I wasn’t afraid to loose. Rams usually don’t last much longer then that around here though. Especially if their of a terminal breed.

Advertisement