Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car finance

• 14-05-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Ive got a car on finance, but im not able to drive it so my mother will be driving it until i can get insured, i have not told my finance company of this, should i of told them? Will it affect anything.

My mother is on low income and wouldn't qualify due to social payments.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As long as they get paid by you they won't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

How is it insured? In your Mother's name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,109 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure she's covered fully comprehensive for driving your car or if she crashes through her own fault you will get zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 KazzieLou

My mother is insured on the car but car is financed in my name, i dont have any car insurance she does.

She has got fully comprehensive insurance

• Advertisement

Make sure she's covered fully comprehensive for driving your car or if she crashes through her own fault you will get zero.

She has got fully comprehensive insurance, i dont have any insurance or licence shes driving the car, but finance documents are in my name. Would the finance company be able to tell who is insured on the vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

KazzieLou wrote: »
    My mother is insured on the car but car is financed in my name, i dont have any car insurance she does.

Is it your name or her name on the log book?

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Is it your name or her name on the log book?

My name is on the logbook

My name is on the logbook

And do the insurers know that? Generally, you have to own the vehicle to insure it so her policy may not be valid.

I think Liberty used to have the option to not own the vehicle but I don't think they allow it anymore.

Regarding the finance, that probably depends on the conditions of the loan. When I got a loan for my car from AIB, they said they didn't care what I used the money for so long as I paid it back. But, that was the terms of my loan, it may vary.

And do the insurers know that? Generally, you have to own the vehicle to insure it so her policy may not be valid.

I think Liberty used to have the option to not own the vehicle but I don't think they allow it anymore.

Regarding the finance, that probably depends on the conditions of the loan. When I got a loan for my car from AIB, they said they didn't care what I used the money for so long as I paid it back. But, that was the terms of my loan, it may vary.

They were aware, the car finance is of the dealerships themselves not a bank loan?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She has got fully comprehensive insurance

if she doesnt own the car how can she? She has no insurable interest

godtabh wrote: »

Shes had to pay excess fees on top pf what shes paid for insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Why did you get a car and you cant get insured (you don't have a drivers licence).

Surely its wasting your money?

Your mam should check her insurance policy to make sure she can be fully ensured on a car she doesnt own. Other than that, it doesnt matter.

godtabh wrote: »

Becuase my mam had an old car and it was costing too much money for repairs every month something was going wrong with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah, not having a go but she's probably not insured correctly on the car. Usually you have to own the car to insure it in your own name. You won't find out until/if something happens and she tries to claim. That's when insurance companies will look at everything in much finer detail than they would when you're paying them money.

Maybe, you could transfer the car to your Mother? Not sure how that would work with the finance company though. As above, they might not care if they're still getting paid.

• Administrators Posts: 53,992 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Liberty still allow it in certain circumstances, like if it's owned by your spouse. Not sure if they allow parent/child.

awec wrote: »
    Liberty still allow it in certain circumstances, like if it's owned by your spouse. Not sure if they allow parent/child.

Most companies are fine with spouses. I've heard of Liberty allowing a child to insure a parent's car but I can't remember what else they allowed.

Advertisement