Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare costs when starting primary

• 14-05-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I know queries 're childcare costs are hard to answer as so much variability between areas and individual agreements. However, I'll ask my question nonetheless!

I've a child who is minded full time by a child minder in the minders own home. Set weekly rate for the last number of years. Child will be starting primary in September. Curious whether childminder rates tend to reduce once school starts? Or stay the same in the infant years as the school day won't be all that much longer than the ECCE hours.

Obviously will talk to minder 're her policy but love to hear some others experience.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Memory101 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know queries 're childcare costs are hard to answer as so much variability between areas and individual agreements. However, I'll ask my question nonetheless!

I've a child who is minded full time by a child minder in the minders own home. Set weekly rate for the last number of years. Child will be starting primary in September. Curious whether childminder rates tend to reduce once school starts? Or stay the same in the infant years as the school day won't be all that much longer than the ECCE hours.

Obviously will talk to minder 're her policy but love to hear some others experience.

Thanks

After school rates where ours goes are 6 euro per hour capped at three hours I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Memory101

meeeeh wrote: »
    After school rates where ours goes are 6 euro per hour capped at three hours I think.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify it's not just after school I'll need, it's the same full day as now minus the junior infant school hours. So about an hour in the morning and 5 hours in afternoon, plus school drop and collection.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify it's not just after school I'll need, it's the same full day as now minus the junior infant school hours. So about an hour in the morning and 5 hours in afternoon, plus school drop and collection.

Our childcare provider is next door to school. They drop kids to school and from. As far as I know the after school payment is capped at 3 hours per day (18 Euro) but I don't know if there is an extra charge for morning service. It's rural catchment area and they seem to be cheaper than some other creches but they have very good routine and complete monopoly on minding local school kids. .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Memory101

meeeeh wrote: »
    Our childcare provider is next door to school. They drop kids to school and from. As far as I know the after school payment is capped at 3 hours per day (18 Euro) but I don't know if there is an extra charge for morning service. It's rural catchment area and they seem to be cheaper than some other creches but they have very good routine and complete monopoly on minding local school kids. .

At that price no wonder they have a monopoly! It seems excellent value. I have a childminder so no set prices as such.

At that price no wonder they have a monopoly! It seems excellent value. I have a childminder so no set prices as such.

You might want to call creches around your area and see if they do after school and the cost of it. Or ask your school if anyone is collecting kids from the school. Then at least you could compare prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My childcare costs did reduce when my oldest started school. I can’t say how much by, as I started my second child with her at the same time as he started school, but definitely it reduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Where I am, before and after care including drop off/collection for primary children is about €50 a month cheaper than the ecce year. This based on a 5 day week.

Advertisement