Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NY Times article on possible future structure of Champions League

• 15-05-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html?fbclid=IwAR1ULIEO4CY1p-IGDgNi2y6Wzqp5XMvw0c3amauxiuj21XBeUyvJITJMx5E
    Discussions over the proposed changes have proved divisive, pitting national leagues — led by England’s Premier League, La Liga in Spain and competitions in Germany and France — against some of their own members. But the documents reviewed by The Times, the product of a project that appears to have been in the works for more than a year, present a more formidable threat to domestic leagues and most clubs than previously known.

If approved, they would result in a Champions League that could render national competitions nearly irrelevant, impose significant barriers to entry for teams outside the game’s current elite and deepen the divide between the two dozen richest clubs and the hundreds of others that make up the bulk of the European game.

Officials from the domestic leagues were shown the proposal for restructured European competitions this week. The new tournaments would, starting in 2024, allow the top 24 teams in a 32-team Champions League to qualify automatically for the next season’s event, effectively guaranteeing them annual participation and tens of millions of dollars more in broadcasting revenue than their domestic rivals would receive. Those rivals would most likely be unable to match the rich clubs’ spending power and would find it prohibitively difficult to play their way into the Champions League on the field.

Something like this has been coming a long time I suppose, and maybe it's the only way to stop the creation of a Superleague?

Would generate a massive gap between those initially chosen and those who weren't though, a gap that would be incredibly difficult to overcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

osarusan wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html?fbclid=IwAR1ULIEO4CY1p-IGDgNi2y6Wzqp5XMvw0c3amauxiuj21XBeUyvJITJMx5E

Something like this has been coming a long time I suppose, and maybe it's the only way to stop the creation of a Superleague?

Would generate a massive gap between those initially chosen and those who weren't though, a gap that would be incredibly difficult to overcome.

Stop the creation of a Superleague ?
    In effect it is a Superleague !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Big Ears wrote: »

Probably means a super league outside the control of Uefa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Big Ears wrote: »

It is basically yeah.

UEFA are terrified of a Superleague outside their jurisdiction, and will offer pretty much anything to avoid that.

I wonder is there any way to stop one eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This could be great for Ireland. A vast drop in standard in the PL could lead to more interest in the LOI and in turn the national team. I watch English soccer on tv anyway like most people so which is better on a Sat nite, Barca V Juventus or Burnley V Watford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This could be great for Ireland. A vast drop in standard in the PL could lead to more interest in the LOI and in turn the national team. I watch English soccer on tv anyway like most people so which is better on a Sat nite, Barca V Juventus or Burnley V Watford?

Even in a super league, there ultimately still has to be a Burnley vs Watford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Even in a super league, there ultimately still has to be a Burnley vs Watford.

Would you watch Burnley v Watford ahead of going to a LOI game?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember FIFA 2003 having a big league with all the big guns of Europe, never thought it would ever be realised but money talks I suppose.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I find it hard to believe that this will come to pass to this extent. It'd be a terrible shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The existing massive gap between the likes of Bayern Munich/Juventus/PSG and their domestic counterparts has already ruined their leagues. Under the new proposed structure you might aswell hand these teams their respective league trophies for the remainder of this century and see the same crapshow expand to any other remotely competitive league. The 24/32 proposal is a strategic intermediate stepping stone to the intended goal of the European Superleague and it must be shot down at all costs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

All 36 Bundesliga clubs (13 of whom are ECA members) have unanimously voted against the ECAs proposal at the DFL AGM.

In France 32 clubs voted against the proposal with 3 abstentions.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article230423254.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ozzy jr wrote: »

Yes absolutely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ohmeha wrote: »
    The existing massive gap between the likes of Bayern Munich/Juventus/PSG and their domestic counterparts has already ruined their leagues. Under the new proposed structure you might aswell hand these teams their respective league trophies for the remainder of this century and see the same crapshow expand to any other remotely competitive league.
    Yeah, agree with all that. The gap is already huge, this would just make it even worse.
    Ohmeha wrote: »
    The 24/32 proposal is a strategic intermediate stepping stone to the intended goal of the European Superleague and it must be shot down at all costs
    I wonder how though.

What cards do UEFA or FIFA have up their sleeves I wonder? What can they actually do?

There are literally billions in TV money to be made, and is there any way to stop it. All I can think of is FIFA basically saying any players involved can no longer play in FIFA competitions (so no more international caps, basically) but I wonder is that a deterrent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Don't know anyone who enjoys watching Burnley, LOI is much more pleasurable to watch , as is the Championship , the playoffs have been cracking to watch , while Burnley are awful, no wonder Turf Moore is never sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Off topic but people say they don't watch LOI due to quality, yet they all sat down and watched unted v Cardiff the other day.

Its never been about the quality IMO

Sure they're planning stadium strikes in the United thread :) people who actually enjoy watching a ball being kicked around, football style, will pop down to the local LOI IMO. the other thing is a whole other something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Off topic but people say they don't watch LOI due to quality, yet they all say down and watched unted v Cardiff the other day.

Its never been about the quality IMO

Sure they're planning stadium strikes in the United thread :)

I doubt any neutral watched the United or Cardiff game.

Augme wrote: »
    I doubt any neutral watched the United or Cardiff game.

I bet at least one neutral watched it somewhere, with united mates :) whilst having a few beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yeah, agree with all that. The gap is already huge, this would just make it even worse.

I wonder how though.

What cards do UEFA or FIFA have up their sleeves I wonder? What can they actually do?

There are literally billions in TV money to be made, and is there any way to stop it. ?

Weren't FIFA mooting an expanded club world cup last year, UEFA were complaining about it at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Weren't FIFA mooting an expanded club world cup last year, UEFA were complaining about it at the time.

Those organisations are all run by twats who want money and publicity, rather than caring what fans, players, clubs or countries want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I bet at least one neutral watched it somewhere, with united mates :) whilst having a few beers.

Fairly sure they were watching the City game.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fairly sure they were watching the City game.

Ha maybe, my point still stands! I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I remember FIFA 2003 having a big league with all the big guns of Europe, never thought it would ever be realised but money talks I suppose.

There was this game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I remember playing the prequel to this UEFA Striker. I really enjoyed it and have fond memories of the game. Its one of the reasons why I like Johnathan Pierce as a commentator because he was the in game commentator.

Not a fan of the proposed changes. After 2 of the most successful CL in the last few years, why change a successful formula?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Comparing LOI and watching a premier League game on TV is pointless.

It takes far more effort and time to go to a LOI game than to stick a PL match on the TV for 90 minutes whilst you could multi task.

I would probably watch more LOI if it was on TV and I had nothing else to do.

As for a Super League. I'd love it, think it would be a great watch getting to see great matches week in week out.

if this happens, it will end up being similar to rugby, where no one really cares about the lPro14 league, so clubs often rest the big names for those matches, the only ones they care about are the European cup games.

The likes of Man City and Barca would have two teams. It would be farcical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Aegir wrote: »
    if this happens, it will end up being similar to rugby, where no one really cares about the lPro14 league, so clubs often rest the big names for those matches, the only ones they care about are the European cup games.

The likes of Man City and Barca would have two teams. It would be farcical.

Actually that only happens in Ireland. The English and French put more money (and effort) into their domestic leagues than into Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Eventually UEFA or FIFA will make a change that the fans will like. Up to now it hasn't happened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

That's supposedly happening in 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Comparing LOI and watching a premier League game on TV is pointless.

It takes far more effort and time to go to a LOI game than to stick a PL match on the TV for 90 minutes whilst you could multi task.

I would probably watch more LOI if it was on TV and I had nothing else to do.

As for a Super League. I'd love it, think it would be a great watch getting to see great matches week in week out.

It would become repetitive after a while. Domestic leagues need to be protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

major bill wrote: »
    It would become repetitive after a while. Domestic leagues need to be protected.

Doesn't everything become Repetitive after a while?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Doesn't everything become Repetitive after a while?

Football is around longer than most sports, its the most popular. Creating a super league to benefit a few teams would ruin it, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

major bill wrote: »
    Football is around longer than most sports, its the most popular. Creating a super league to benefit a few teams would ruin it, IMO.

Aye this would be a disaster, Liverpool and Spurs have got £100m+ from their run to the CL final, if this was enshrined in a new competition with little chance to qualify, excpet for those who were invited initially, the financial advantage would be insurmountable for the rest of the PL and that £100m would likely become £200-£300m or more on an annual basis that they would earn year on year and no other club would have a chance of joining the proposed new "elite".

Advertisement