Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What steps are not necessary for setting up as a sole trader?

Options
  • 15-05-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

This summer I will be working as a freelance audio engineer and I'm wondering which of these steps are absolutely necessary? I will not be earning more than €10,000 and will not have any employees working for me I should add.

1. Register for Income Tax

2. Register for VAT

3. Register for Employers PAYE

4. Register for ROS

5. Register Your Business Name

Number one is necessary but are the others in my circumstance? For instance, must I have a company name or does my own name on the invoice suffice?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This summer I will be working as a freelance audio engineer and I'm wondering which of these steps are absolutely necessary? I will not be earning more than €10,000 and will not have any employees working for me I should add.

1. Register for Income Tax

2. Register for VAT

3. Register for Employers PAYE

4. Register for ROS

5. Register Your Business Name

Number one is necessary but are the others in my circumstance? For instance, must I have a company name or does my own name on the invoice suffice?
    Thanks.

You can do all of the above, except VAT, via ROS.

For €10k you’re under the threshold for VAT so don’t bother.

You’ll then get your registration letter from Revenue that lets you open a bank account as a sole trader for Your Name trading as xxxxxxxxxx. You can then receive payment in either.

Are you going to be employing anyone?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/self_employment_as_an_individual.html

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

You can do all of the above, except VAT, via ROS.

For €10k you’re under the threshold for VAT so don’t bother.

You’ll then get your registration letter from Revenue that lets you open a bank account as a sole trader for Your Name trading as xxxxxxxxxx. You can then receive payment in either.

Are you going to be employing anyone?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/self_employment_as_an_individual.html

Good luck to you!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

No, I won't have any employees. So, I just register through ROS and I will receive a letter from Revenue is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

No, I won't have any employees. So, I just register through ROS and I will receive a letter from Revenue is it?

That's pretty much it. Ancillary to this, get an accountant and a simple accounts package like sage one, it'll make your accounts/invoicing/etc much easier to handle

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Bullet hq worth a look too. Free for 5 invoices a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Bullet hq worth a look too. Free for 5 invoices a month.

Thanks guys, that's great help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement