Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this??

Options
  • 15-05-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭

Have had this plant establish itself over the last year or so in a sunny corner of the garden. It first appeared last year, and I left it to see would it survive winter.

It's still there, so curious what it is before I pull it out or leave it there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit difficult to gauge the size, I thought it might be hydrangea but the leave of hydrangea are opposite. I think it could be a lime tree? I suspect whatever it is it will get big, so be sure you want it there if you leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

well it's currently about 18 inches tall..for scale, you can just about make out the lines of the cement between the standard breeze blocks on the wall behind.

google suggested elm.

tbh, it is right at the end of the garden, in a corner dominated by ivy, so I would be open to a bit of diversity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a hazel, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Definetly some sort of tree...probably a sapling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

not a hazel, is it?

Looks like a hazel to me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah yes, and I was looking at hazels earlier, didn't even think of it, I reckon you are right.

Edit, hazel would be a better bet than elm or lime for that situation - in terms of size, and pretty catkins in spring.

Yeah, googling images of Hazel leaves and comparing makes Hazel look like a good fit.

Now, next step, have a look at what a hazel looks like in years to come and how intrusive it would be etc ! :-)

thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

There's an app for that :-). The app is called "Picture This". You take a photo of the plant and it tells you what it is.

I don't know how accurate it is.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yeah, googling images of Hazel leaves and comparing makes Hazel look like a good fit.

Now, next step, have a look at what a hazel looks like in years to come and how intrusive it would be etc ! :-)

thanks guys.

They can be up to 10 metres high, with quite a spread and prone to throwing up suckers. I have a couple in my woodland but would not consider them for a standard garden setting.

Slasher wrote: »
    There's an app for that :-). The app is called "Picture This". You take a photo of the plant and it tells you what it is.

I don't know how accurate it is.:D

Did try a few apps but no real success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Did try a few apps but no real success.

Picture this is the best one I’ve come across. Surprisingly accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks like a cherry tree sucker to me.
    Have you a cherry tree in the garden or nearby?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nah, the leaves are too crinkly and too round to be a cherry - I'd be for hazel, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

looks similar to knotweed also...make sure not to touch roots if it is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The leaves are all wrong for Japanese knotweed, too.

Here's what it looks like. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110145577&postcount=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The leaves are the perfect spear point hazel for my money.

Well there is a cherry tree about 10 feet away...so was my first thought also.

Putting leaves side by side they just aren't the same. The new one is hairy but cherry is more shiney.

Well there is a cherry tree about 10 feet away...so was my first thought also.

Putting leaves side by side they just aren't the same. The new one is hairy but cherry is more shiney.

They won't be the same, cherry trees are grafted so the sucker will be from the rootstock.
    There's a couple of suckers from a flagpole cherry in my own garden which are similar to yours.

Would you please post a picture? 'cause I'm still convinced it's a hazel.

• Advertisement

See attached.

The leaf I'm holding up is off the cherry tree. It doesn't really come up in the picture, but the colour and texture are somewhat different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

From a botanical point of view I can see at least 5 differences between the two leaves.

Edit> Just the serrations at the edge of the leaf is enough to make them from different species. Hazel has unequal serrations, the cherry has equal serrations. The cherry leaf has a much more waxy (looking) upper surface compared to the hazel. The base of the hazel leaf is subcondate (it goes in a bit where the leaf stem joins it) and base of the cherry is acuminate (pointed). Then there's the overall shape the hazel is much fatter (not a botanical term :)).

Turn them over and I bet that the hazel is hairy doubt the cherry is.

If anyone is looking for a book to identify trees then keep an eye out for Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe long out of print but acknowledged as one of the best works on the subject - page 394-5 has pictures of all the main differences in leaf shapes ;)

They can be up to 10 metres high, with quite a spread and prone to throwing up suckers. I have a couple in my woodland but would not consider them for a standard garden setting.

The twisted stem one and the one with extra large purple leaves are garden worthy. Only real reason to have the native one in the garden is as pea sticks or bean poles.

Sorry I might be misleading people, a bit of googling indicates that a better more current book on identifying trees is The Collins Tree Guide which I've just ordered as my "Mitchell" (the author of A Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe) is falling to bits after years of use.

Sorry Crisco, I meant for Standardg60 to post a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my3cents wrote: »
    The twisted stem one and the one with extra large purple leaves are garden worthy. Only real reason to have the native one in the garden is as pea sticks or bean poles.

Agreed, provided you cut the straight suckers out of the contorted hazel. That said I've a contorted Hazel 20ft by 10ft.

Agreed, provided you cut the straight suckers out of the contorted hazel. That said I've a contorted Hazel 20ft by 10ft.

They native one grows further upstream from us along the river bank and produces good nuts but the contorted one we have has never done well.

New Home wrote: »
    Sorry Crisco, I meant for Standardg60 to post a picture.

Here you go new home..just happened to be removing some stems from a contorted hazel today too so handy to have for comparison.

Cherry sucker

• Advertisement

Sorry that last post was supposed to include a pic..first one was hazel and this is the sucker

Advertisement