Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilizing Bottles

Options
  • 15-05-2019 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not a high tech brewer and only do wet lit stuff, mostly with great success bar a few brews.

Just wondering what you knowledgeable creatures would make of this.

Before I start brewing I wash my bottles and my 23l fermenter along with the other bits and bobs.

I then fill the fermenter with water and Milton (in the recommended ratio). I then use this to sterilise my bottles, tap, bottling tube etc.

I pop all the bottles on a bottle tree and then leave them there for the week or whatever it takes for primary fermentation. When ready I bottle up, add sugar and leave for secondary fermentation.

Just wondering if its bad practice to leave the bottles on the tree for a week, or should I be sterilizing closer to bottling time?

The reason I do it is for convenience. The fermenter is a handy size for sterilizing everything and it means the bottles are ready to go when the SG settles.

As I said I've had the odd bad batch but I think was down to poor temperature control when mixing initially leading to phenols.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think with the bottles on the tree for that long you're liable to increase the potential for infection. The Milton won't keep them sterilized while exposed. I think if you had swing tops that could be sealed then they'd be OK to use after a week or so. I've switched to using Star San for my bottle sterilizing. Quick and easy before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

mordeith wrote:
    I think if you had swing tops that could be sealed then they'd be OK to use after a week or so.

Thanks for that.

I'm using PETs with screw caps. If I put the lids once they are dry would that work??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Coz wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I'm using PETs with screw caps. If I put the lids once they are dry would that work??

Some feedback here.
    https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54596

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Be aware that milton contains chlorine so you can get all kinds of yeast - chlorine - chlorophenols if you are unlucky.

As others have mentioned, milton will keep the bottles sanitary for a short duration only.

Consider investing in star san and either get a home brewing bottle rinser (like an inverted plunger) or a spray bottle. When you are bottling get the (pre-cleaned) bottles coated in star san, and that should take care of any problems. Its easy to apply just before you bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Coz

Star San arrived today and I bought myself a spray bottle.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement