Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon Dublin 2019

Options
  • 15-05-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Has anyone ever done any of these runs before? Sounds like good craic and a bit more entertaining than your standard half marathon. Love the idea of live music on the route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Has anyone ever done any of these runs before? Sounds like good craic and a bit more entertaining than your standard half marathon. Love the idea of live music on the route.

Did the first two, great event and the bling was impressive but the route was a bit boring and there were a few issues with a lack of water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Did it last year and the route went up Knockmarrroon Hill, which wasn't great! Think that was due to the Pope's visit though, so shouldn't be the same this year.

Live music was ok but not a reason to do the race IMO.

Bag drop was a farce, tshirt was nice though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Never again after last year. The course was terrible, the bag drop was a mess (20 mins/30 mins to drop the bag) and no redeeming features really. Early start and point to point course makes logistics difficult.

The course is changed again this year but is not looking much better really.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Thanks for the feedback, from the sounds of it it’s not worth it. Pricey enough to enter too. The Streets of Galway 8k is on the day before and I love that event so think that’ll be done instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for the feedback, from the sounds of it it’s not worth it. Pricey enough to enter too. The Streets of Galway 8k is on the day before and I love that event so think that’ll be done instead.

I'm actually thinking the same thing myself actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've done it the for the last 3 years but last year was ridiculous so this year I'm doing the Monaghan 10 mile which is on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Just signed up for this (10k). It will be my first 10k in a long while.
    Im really looking forward to it, sounds like a lively day out in the park.
    Im wondering do many people hang around for the entertainment afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Just signed up for this (10k). It will be my first 10k in a long while.
    Im really looking forward to it, sounds like a lively day out in the park.
    Im wondering do many people hang around for the entertainment afterwards?
    Yeah ;lots of people stay after the race. The music is always good and then there is the fun run so there's always loads of families around and a good atmosphere. Jerry Fish is playing and he always puts on a lively show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Thanks for the reply. I'll make a day out of it so. Can't wait now, hope the weather's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Just a bump to say this is going up - again - to 55 euro from midnight tonight. Looked at it but going to do the Tullamore Half instead on the 31st of August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Blindly signed up for this a while back as an early warm-up for the Dublin marathon, any idea how the course plays out? Seems like a few minor hills towards the latter stages of the route which look fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Blindly signed up for this a while back as an early warm-up for the Dublin marathon, any idea how the course plays out? Seems like a few minor hills towards the latter stages of the route which look fun.

Fitzwilliam square start I think. Then Stephens green, Christchurch, kilmainham, inchicore and then Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

This race really irked locals last year. Between lots of noise disruption from as early as 6am to the state that was left behind until the Monday or Tuesday after the race (quite literally a sea of plastic) I just couldn't support it this year.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/residents-left-outraged-after-hundreds-15028603

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Daylight robbery the race entry fee for this event.

Plenty of other local half marathons around to support athletics clubs/charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

andrew1977 wrote: »

Plenty of other local half marathons around to support athletics clubs/charities.

I'm not here to defend R&R races, however, I don't think you can compare them and the entry fees to smaller local races.

Yes, if you want to run a half marathon, you can do it for free any time you like, for €20 at a small charity local event OR for €50 odd euro through Dublin on closed roads. There will also be bands playing along the way, a finish line party and a medal the size of a dinner plate!

I think they both serve a purpose. Someone training for their first or with a group may want the big event, and other won't.

Same with Ironman v Challenge v Hardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Course description from someone who is pacing:
    First 3 miles flat, just a short drag then into royal hospital kilmainham then flat to downhill all the way to chapelizod, then long flat stretch along outside of phoenix park, as we enter park short hill at 7 miles then slight drag from about 7.5 to 8.5 up main avenue of park. Miles 9 to 10 downhill. Again drag up towards the s bends then. 11 to 12 long drag which includes short hill in furey glen. Once you get tru that bit of a chance to recover for final stretch as last mile and a bit flat. In summary most of hills from 7 miles onwards so try and conservative pace wise as you will need to work harder from 10 miles onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

andrew1977 wrote: »

Yep the great thing is you don't have to enter if you don't want to. I picked it for my first half as I think there will be a great atmosphere and the dates suited my long time plan plus it's local. It's a lot of money but I haven't done a handful of races this year. If it goes well then I will do KBC half in September and if I don't feel it was worth the money then I won't enter next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

If I remember correctly there is a decent discount if you are a member of an AI club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there is a decent discount if you are a member of an AI club.

2016-11-08_bus_26135831_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Also the early bird prices weren't as bad - I paid €34 when I registered in November

• Advertisement

I'm not here to defend R&R races, however, I don't think you can compare them and the entry fees to smaller local races.

Yes, if you want to run a half marathon, you can do it for free any time you like, for €20 at a small charity local event OR for €50 odd euro through Dublin on closed roads. There will also be bands playing along the way, a finish line party and a medal the size of a dinner plate!

I think they both serve a purpose. Someone training for their first or with a group may want the big event, and other won't.

Same with Ironman v Challenge v Hardman.

I think it's easily the worst race in the calendar from organisation, price, course,clean up etc. No redeeming features. It's purely profit driven. It's actually a disgrace that it is the national half marathon.

Compare the Dublin half Marathon to the Rock n Roll:

Both fairly large events, both closed roads, one very well organised one not. One €55 the other is €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Has anyone seen any competitions to win free entry this year? There are usually a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Gonna do the 5/10k again as it's nearly routine at this stage,,despite the flaws!

Guessed promo codes if any of ye want to save €2/3 on the 5k/10k!

BRPDUB5K19
    BRPDUB10K19

(could try replace the 10 with HALF as well if you're goin for it, just guessed it based on other ones I found online..)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also the early bird prices weren't as bad - I paid €34 when I registered in November

34 euro is alot dearer than most half marathons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Shlippery wrote: »
    Gonna do the 5/10k again as it's nearly routine at this stage,,despite the flaws!

Guessed promo codes if any of ye want to save €2/3 on the 5k/10k!

BRPDUB5K19
    BRPDUB10K19

(could try replace the 10 with HALF as well if you're goin for it, just guessed it based on other ones I found online..)

That worked! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

I've injured my hip and can't race in the rock n roll HM next week. I got the ticket in November myself at €30, if anyone would like to race let me know?

Race pack is to be picked up, so anyone can go pick it up in Dublin.

Anyone keen?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

What's the story with transport? No info yet it seems on their website on shuttles.
    Trying to figure out how I get in for the 8am start 🀔

Doesn't look like Luas starts till 7am on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

eposhea wrote: »
    I've injured my hip and can't race in the rock n roll HM next week. I got the ticket in November myself at €30, if anyone would like to race let me know?

Race pack is to be picked up, so anyone can go pick it up in Dublin.

Anyone keen?

Is that entry still available? sent you a pm

looking for a 10K entry as well if anyone has one...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    What's the story with transport? No info yet it seems on their website on shuttles.
    Trying to figure out how I get in for the 8am start ��

Doesn't look like Luas starts till 7am on Sundays.

From memory it was a very close call and the bag check was a nightmare for the start last year using the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Centralrunner1

Where is the bag drop? In town or Phoenix park?

Advertisement