Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon Dublin 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    What's the story with transport? No info yet it seems on their website on shuttles.
    Trying to figure out how I get in for the 8am start ��

Doesn't look like Luas starts till 7am on Sundays.

Shuttles start at 5.30 from The Phoenix Monument, there is also a pick up on Parkgate Street at Westbrook Motors. Last shuttle to the start leaves at 7.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Where is the bag drop? In town or Phoenix park?

Will be in Fitzwilliam and transported to the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Does anyone have an elevation chart of the 10k? There's one of the half on the website, but not the 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Best of luck to everyone doing this, I’ve decided to go with the Streets of Galway instead. Not fit enough for anything over 10km at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Still looking for an entry or two should any become available..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Does anyone have an elevation chart of the 10k? There's one of the half on the website, but not the 10k.

The big drop on the half map at about 13k is the middle roundabout in the park. That's where the 10k and half meet.
    The first half of 10k is largely flat. Once you get diwn the Khyber pass to the magazine fort it gets much tougher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Once you get diwn the Khyber pass to the magazine fort it gets much tougher

Aw jeez... I didn't need to hear this. I can just barely do the 10km at the moment on total flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

eposhea wrote: »
    I've injured my hip and can't race in the rock n roll HM next week. I got the ticket in November myself at €30, if anyone would like to race let me know?

Race pack is to be picked up, so anyone can go pick it up in Dublin.

Anyone keen?

This is now sold - good luck to all runners!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The big drop on the half map at about 13k is the middle roundabout in the park. That's where the 10k and half meet.
    The first half of 10k is largely flat. Once you get diwn the Khyber pass to the magazine fort it gets much tougher

Thanks, that's what I thought - down the Khyber, up the s bends, up the Furry Glen ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

G Shock wrote: »
    Aw jeez... I didn't need to hear this. I can just barely do the 10km at the moment on total flat.

Take it easy on first half. Especially down Khyber pass.

Along back of park is a mix and match. Little bit down, quite a bit up.

Last 1.2k is fairly flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

I signed up for it as part of the early bird and haven't paid attention.

A 8am start?

On a Sunday?

IN THE CITY CENTER!

Thats hilarious. The bag drop is going to be a nightmare again once that 1 and only Luas people can get to get there on time shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Tough enough conditions for the 5k this morning hopefully it improves tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Hi guys, does anyone know if there is parking in the Phoenix park tomorrow or nearby? (Or shuttles for the 10k?)
    Am coming from Fingal and no public transport will get us in for the time needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

nannerby wrote: »
    Tough enough conditions for the 5k this morning hopefully it improves tomorrow.

Did you - or anyone else participating- notice that the course seemed to be almost .5 km short? My watch measured 4.6 km. Granted my phone is acting the maggot and maybe it’s throwing an update on the watch off but that seemed a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Did you - or anyone else participating- notice that the course seemed to be almost .5 km short? My watch measured 4.6 km. Granted my phone is acting the maggot and maybe it’s throwing an update on the watch off but that seemed a lot.

Sorry I was just spectating..The winner did it in just under 16mins and he is a top racer so id be surprised if it was .5km short.

citygal93 wrote: »
    Hi guys, does anyone know if there is parking in the Phoenix park tomorrow or nearby? (Or shuttles for the 10k?)
    Am coming from Fingal and no public transport will get us in for the time needed.

Im coming from Fingal too. Going to get in early through the Castleknock gate and park along the road there.
    If there is no spaces there, i'll turn around, back out the gate, take a right and follow the road around to the Ashtown gate, in that way and park along the North road somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I ran the 5k today. I had it just under 5k by about 50m’s, which I put down to the tree coverage and the corners. It was trickier than I expected. The wind was a challenge on the Furze road and it was bit slippy underfoot. A guy ahead of me went down on the corner down to the Furry Glen. Worked hard on the long drag out of the Glen and then hung on for the last section. The finishing stretch on Chesterfield seemed very long. Got home under 20 so was happy with that.

I checked the results and they had 1,550 finishers which is a pretty good turnout. There was a good atmosphere at the start, a lot of them Americans I would think. For some reason they love this franchise. Plenty of goodies at the finish, a couple of different drinks, a bar, some nut thing and a packet of Lindt? Doing the 10k tomorrow, looking forward to my remix medal, but not the course so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

First time doing this. Too few toilets at the start line, waaaay too few. Got caught out and had to start two waves back due to time queueing for the toilet.

The route is OK but seems to take in every fkin hill it can. It also takes in too many ****ty paths. The paths in the park with tree sap and rain are like ice. For 40 quid I would expect good open roads.

Won't do it again as it's too early and too expensive for a route spent on small paths.

Water stops and music were great though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I did it and really enjoyed it. Didn't think the hills were all that bad. Plenty of water stations also was good.
    Only gripe would be small path going up through the park,it slowed me down a bit as it was so congested,but maybe no harm at that stage as it is up a slight incline for that section and it gave me a bit of a breather before the final push.
    Would definitely do it again. Didn't mind the early start myself.
    I've spent 40 quid on far worse things to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Toilets at the start were a joke. Got caught out too and had to join behind the 2 Pacers. Then basically slowed to a walk through royal hospital. Seemed to take in every hill it could in the park. 8 a.m start is also too early. Unfortunately I didnt enjoy this one at all. Still the bands were great and the water stations were very much appreciated. I also managed my run terribly so I'm probably just bitter ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Actually I do have another gripe. At the end there was several people filling their bags with the provided snacks. I seen people basically empty full boxes of stuff into their bags, with no thought about leaving stuff for people who haven't finished yet. I saw one guy when I was walking back to the car with a full box of the Lindor Chocolates. I hope he chokes on them.What gets into people that makes them so greedy they need to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

ewc78 wrote: »
    Actually I do have another gripe. At the end there was several people filling their bags with the provided snacks. I seen people basically empty full boxes of stuff into their bags, with no thought about leaving stuff for people who haven't finished yet. I saw one guy when I was walking back to the car with a full box of the Lindor Chocolates. I hope he chokes on them.What gets into people that makes them so greedy they need to do that?
    I also saw a girl grab 2 entire boxes of the nut bars and a full thing of magnesium water. On a side note I didnt even see the lindor chocolates. I love those things. Whyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Had great fun again this year. Lots of toilets at 10km start (which I appreciate is eff all use to anyone in the Fitz)

Parked handy in the park again today, 10km cadence seemed fine esp as I had done zero training - quite doable.

Good "loot" afterwards. Hate the scabs taking 10 of everything.

Kids and I enjoyed a picnic and then did the fun run. (At the end of the fun run one of the volunteers asked my son if he wanted a bag of drinks - I guess they didn't want to pack them up so that was nice)

Weather held, chilled atmosphere and lots of fun bling. It is expensive but I found it enjoyable (And I'm not there to pelt along )

Final observation: I thought the half and 10km merge was cleverly done.

I thought it was a great day out, perfect day for a 10k trot around the park. Jerry Fish put on a good show afterwards too. I'll defo sign up for the half next year, really enjoyed the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Have to have a rant...waited 30 mins for a shuttle bus in Phoenix Park to arrive. When it did arrive at 710am I got to the start for 740am, dropped bag off to find that there were about a total of 10 portaloos available. Meant queuing and missing the start or just getting in with it. Resulted in a pit stop in KJH and lost time. Course was tough but enjoyable. Really thinking of not entering next year as they continually have issues at the start which is a shame as the bands were great again this year along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

ewc78 wrote: »

That is incredibly ignorant

Did the 10k this morning. Kinda funny that as the leading half marathoners were finishing we were just heading off. The merging of the 10k and the half worked well but it must have been very annoying for the half marathoners ( the 2hr runners) to see all the fresher 10k people sailing past. However there was lot of weaving in and out round people.

Got my remix medal for doing the two races. It was quite a busy collection point so there must have been a lot of people doubling up. I had have two complaints;

1. The baggage pick for the 10k was chaos. There seemed to be no logic as to how bags were placed in sequence. You were left queuing for along time. They could look at that for next year. Staff were very friendly but were going to have a tough day.

2. Was people taking multiples of everything, as was said previously. I’m not sure what would be left for the back markers. I did a cool down and there was still a steady stream of finishers around the 3hr mark. I doubt there was many bars or Lindt left. Very selfish and ignorant behavior but I’ve seen that before at this race.

I took one Lindt. It was disappointing, not up to their usual standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

Caprica wrote: »
    Did the 10k this morning. Kinda funny that as the leading half marathoners were finishing we were just heading off. The merging of the 10k and the half worked well but it must have been very annoying for the half marathoners ( the 2hr runners) to see all the fresher 10k people sailing past. However there was lot of weaving in and out round people.

Completely agree. Only started running this year so don't have much experience in bigger races but found having 10km runners whizzing by quiet disheartening and also the added volume of people on narrow roads was rough at times aswell.

Very hilly course but taught was enjoyable aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Centralrunner1

I enjoyed the race but toilets at the start were ridiculous for the amount of people running. I missed my wave start due to queueing. Liked the water stations and bands. The queues for t shirts, beer and engraving were so long at the end. Shuttle buses seemed to be a nightmare before and after the race. A great atmosphere though and enjoyed it.

Advertisement