Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any stage where repair becomes replace?

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I bought a Miele bagless vacuum 18 months ago and I've had nothing but issues with it. Power City no longer deal with consumer issues for Miele, you deal directly with Miele.

This is the 3rd time it's been in for repair. I'm a fortnight without a vacuum cleaner now. I asked the customer service agent if they replace it at any stage and she said no but this is bordering on ridiculous at this point.

Is there any basis for insisting on a replacement as I have no faith in this particular appliance any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought the retailer is the person to deal with ?

Might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Power City cannot opt out of their contract with you although this is not the first time I have heard them fob someone off.

You have already attempted repair so I would go back to Power City and ask for a refund or a replacement.

Your contract IS with Power City.

If they keep fobbing you off and sending you back to Miele just tell them you are happy to take them to the Small Claims Court for the value of the item as it is not fit for purpose.

But expect resistance from Power City. I stopped buying from them years ago because they are so utterly useless at after sales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Contract of sale is with the retailer, they're shirking their responsibilities by sending you to the manufacturer. Sometimes this can lead to a quicker resolution but it can also lead to further problems i.e. when repairs don't work - does the retailer now even know it's been "repaired" multiple times?

Any repair must be permanent BUT this is not Meile's problem, you need to go through the retailer. As mentioned above, you may need to push this to the SCC. Keep records of all communications and any documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Power City no longer deal with consumer issues for Miele,

you can deal with miele, under their warranty.

But you have stronger consumer rights, if you deal with power city under the sale of goods and services act. As the item has already been repaired , ask they issue a full refund or a replacement.

do not let power city abdicate their responsibility, stand your ground, ask for a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Thanks that's really useful. I'll go to power city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Seems to be a standard fob off by electrical retailers. An earlier thread had a similar story about Curry’s sending customer to laptop manufacturer for solution.
    The more people object to this nonsense the easier it will become for consumers to get redress from the retailers under Sales of Goods and Services Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I still don't have the vacuum cleaner back from Miele. It's almost 3 weeks now. I called last Monday to be told I'd get a call "by the end of the week" And that the engineer had ordered a part and was working on it.
    I called again Friday as I'd heard nothing and was told basically the same story (I'll ring you before the end of the day)

I went in to power city and was told 1. I'd need the vacuum cleaner back first and 2. Even if I did bring it back, their head office would bascially only consider a repair, probably via Miele and that Miele would "have to sanction a replacement" (which they have said they won't do)

Really furious at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I still don't have the vacuum cleaner back from Miele. It's almost 3 weeks now. I called last Monday to be told I'd get a call "by the end of the week" And that the engineer had ordered a part and was working on it.
    I called again Friday as I'd heard nothing and was told basically the same story (I'll ring you before the end of the day)

I went in to power city and was told 1. I'd need the vacuum cleaner back first and 2. Even if I did bring it back, their head office would bascially only consider a repair, probably via Miele and that Miele would "have to sanction a replacement" (which they have said they won't do)

Really furious at this stage.

That's not how consumer law works. Print off or download the relevant sections from the consumer site, or even better the actual Act, and go back to Power City ask for a manger and cambly ask then what section of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act they think they are following?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's not how consumer law works. Print off or download the relevant sections from the consumer site, or even better the actual Act, and go back to Power City ask for a manger and cambly ask then what section of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act they think they are following?

I agree with this but the Op should wait until he gets the device back from the manufacturer before going to the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Del2005 wrote: »

I wouldn't waste the printer ink tbh. Retail staff/managers don't know, nor want to know the ins and out of consumer law. Company policy is law as far as they're concerned. The only printing I would do would be for the registered letter I'd be sending the retailers HO to give them a final attempt at resolution just before I start SCC proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It amazes me how stores get away with this stuff, and how many are actually unaware of what the law says.

As a retail manager myself, even my own Superior comes out with this rubbish. When i questioned him recently on why we are not complying with the law, he simply stated we have to follow what the company policy is.

Drives me nuts.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It amazes me how stores get away with this stuff, and how many are actually unaware of what the law says.

As a retail manager myself, even my own Superior comes out with this rubbish. When i questioned him recently on why we are not complying with the law, he simply stated we have to follow what the company policy is.

Drives me nuts.

Because too many people don't know what their rights are. It's bad enough UK retailers following UK law in Ireland but Irish retailers have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A repair has to be completed in a time frame that does not cause significant inconvenience to the consumer. Two weeks without a hoover is significant inconvenience in my view. You should be looking for them to refund it or replace it. However knowing Power City - who I would avoid if you possibly can, you'll have to use the Small Claims Procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Power City are beyond appalling for customer service! We had the same issue with them earlier in the year, expensive appliance died within days of delivery, same runaround, same lies about how these things work - we would never darken their door again for anything! Only thing that saved my sanity in the end was a manufacturer (Siemens) that actually gave a damn and sorted us out directly.

OP, we were getting set for the SCC route and I had a very helpful conversation with someone at https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/. They were great on advising how to put the argument together, legal phrases that applied, sample template documents to customize... Well worth visiting the site and giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Give you a heads up.

I sued power city by brining them to the small claims court and they no showed I won. They refused to pay the court said they will send the sheriff and they paid the next day.

TV broke after 14 months allready was repaired I refused a 2nd repair as it was the same issue again it was a failed main board and power board and the base cracked. The TV cost nearly 1100 euros new. They wonted me to ship it back to Dublin and me to pay for it and if Notting wrong I have to pay to ship it back.

It went in circles for weeks but I won and they are shocking to deal I do not wish them on anyone

Advertisement