Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers benefit and registering as self employed

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am being made redundant from my job at a big company, I worked as a video editor there, it was my first real job out of college and I've been there 5 years.
    I'm finding myself very overwhelmed and realizing how mollycoddled I've been my such a cosy job.

I know I am going to be eligible for job seekers benefit once I finish working my notice.
    Thing is, with video editing, it's a job you can freelance, and many people are only ever contracted as freelancers. I want to get back to a company, but in the mean time I need to look for freelance job, for my portfolio as much as for money.

So I don't know how long I could be freelancing, I have one very small job lined up, I might find more, It might be the only thing I ever get.

If I do end up freelancing longer, I'm thinking I need to go register now as self employed and keep all my finances in order.

My question is, if I register as self employed now, with revenue, will I mess up my chance of receiving my job seekers benefit?

I might not get any jobs at all. And the small job I have now can be done as one or two days a week. I'll be finished it before I'm even officially out of work.

Advertisement