Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Garda corruption being investigated.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My understanding is that this is about the Kinnahans and the Gardai turning a blind eye to their drug routes and channels. The country is awash with cocaine so there has to be collision somewhere.

Not sure this specific case is about the Kinahans, it seems to be Limerick based and there was already a Garda questioned a few weeks back about collusion with the Rathkeale Rovers gang, aka a very wealthy traveller criminal gang who are involved in all sorts from dealing drugs to stealing rhino horns to order.

But get what you are saying about the Kinahan cartel. Reports say they their turnover from drugs now in Ireland is €1bn per year which is an astonishing amount. Its hard to believe that €1bn worth of drugs are imported without some sort of Garda collusion, I've heard rumours about 10 years back that there is dodgy goings on down in Dublin port where certain lorrys run through clear from inspections but nothing has ever come from it.

In any case Gardai being involved in the drugs trade is not without precedent in Ireland- we already know that some members of the Gardai in the Co.Louth division were facilitating the importation of heroin by a convicted drug trafficker called Kieran Boylan. The Gardai there even went as far as recommending to the Dept of Transport that his international hauliers license get renewed post his conviction for trafficking heroin. Civil servants in the DoT strongly recommended against giving him an international hauliers licence because you know, he had already been convicted of importing heroin. But Gardai insisted he did get one because you know, junkies need their heroin. His license was issued, you literally couldnt make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The best thing FG and the MoJ ever did was step aside and get in an outsider.

We have the likes of McCabe to thank for opening the door. The country will be better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0516/1049802-garda-arrests/

As with anything.............quite likely tip of the iceberg.

"Crime Correspondent Paul Reynolds said the arrests were made this morning in the southern part of the country.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, he said all the arrest are connected to an ongoing investigation into a criminal gang. There have been two previous arrests of members of An Garda Síochána in this investigation, he said"

Limerick related I wonder?

Spot on

A lot of very worried gardai across the country this morning I would imagine

Only the corrupt ones which in a large force I'd imagine is quite small

"What this place needs is a bit of Northern efficiency".

BOOM!
    Drew Harris's father was killed by an IRA carbomb.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-garda-chief-s-father-was-killed-in-an-ira-car-bombing-almost-30-years-ago-1.3544360

Says something about the man's sense of duty he would take this job..

Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never thought I'd see the day.

A small start but very welcome.

Apparently they were taking bribes from the fellas that were robbing the ATM's.

Stop making sh1t up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Apparently they were taking bribes from the fellas that were robbing the ATM's.

Nope, that's a different crew.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure this specific case is about the Kinahans, it seems to be Limerick based and there was already a Garda questioned a few weeks back about collusion with the Rathkeale Rovers gang, aka a very wealthy traveller criminal gang who are involved in all sorts from dealing drugs to stealing rhino horns to order.

But get what you are saying about the Kinahan cartel. Reports say they their turnover from drugs now in Ireland is €1bn per year which is an astonishing amount. Its hard to believe that €1bn worth of drugs are imported without some sort of Garda collusion, I've heard rumours about 10 years back that there is dodgy goings on down in Dublin port where certain lorrys run through clear from inspections but nothing has ever come from it.

In any case Gardai being involved in the drugs trade is not without precedent in Ireland- we already know that some members of the Gardai in the Co.Louth division were facilitating the importation of heroin by a convicted drug trafficker called Kieran Boylan. The Gardai there even went as far as recommending to the Dept of Transport that his international hauliers license get renewed post his conviction for trafficking heroin. Civil servants in the DoT strongly recommended against giving him an international hauliers licence because you know, he had already been convicted of importing heroin. But Gardai insisted he did get one because you know, junkies need their heroin. His license was issued, you literally couldnt make it up.

JUST WOW!!!!:eek::eek::eek: shocking stuff..good post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Drew Harris doing a fine job it seems. Will let the Phoenix Park incident with the PSNI slide as he targets bent coppers.

If only we could get individuals of the same calibre across other institutions we would be on the right track.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Do you know what I would like to see?
    Cops on the beat.

I've been to 2 large Irish cities recently (not Dublin), and the amount of unemployed, but obviously fit (because they were wearing tracksuits), young rat-like men having complete control of the city centres was mind boggling.
    They had complete autonomy of these areas; intimidating and harassing people who dare to be in the vicinity.
    And not a damn cop in sight.

Put cops back on Irish streets.
    At least pretend that there is a visual deterrent.
    You want these young rat-like men to become Gardai??:confused:

Why not? Might instill a bit of work ethic in the able bodied toe rags. Otherwise they are just a drain on the economy.

BTW I have known lads that were wild in their youth with assigned JLOs become good Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No prosecutions: 'See, we're not corrupt!'
    Corruption prosecutions: 'See, were' not corrupt!'

So you are unable to post comparative statistics to show that Ireland is more corrupt than anywhere else?

https://www.transparency.ie/news_events/corruption-perceptions-index-2018-ireland-cannot-be-complacent-about-corruption

We are 18th best out of 180.

"Recent initiatives such as the passing of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018 and the establishment of an anti-corruption unit within An Garda Síochána are to be welcomed. The measures should have a positive long-term impact on Ireland’s international reputation if they are resourced and implemented adequately’, said John Devitt, Chief Executive of Transparency International (TI) Ireland"

Not perfect, not even very good, but still good.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Drew Harris doing a fine job it seems. Will let the Phoenix Park incident with the PSNI slide as he targets bent coppers.

If only we could get individuals of the same calibre across other institutions we would be on the right track.

YEP!! but it turns out when you sleep on the job and fill your snout, like Philip lane former governor of the central bank, you don't get demoted.. you get promoted to Europe!! this lad is such a waste of space it's annoying. He actually resembles a 1980's cop show snitch too... as Kevin bridges would say..Just lewke at em!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A Good start halves the work.

I have often thought that prior to Harris taking up the role, a very generous exit package should have been offered to Senior Management. Clear them out just like in the transition from RUC to PSNI. Then it may have reduced the protection element amongst them. Few would shop their own.

I’d say there will be much more of this type of revelation to come.

Best move ever to have an outsider in the top job. Very evident so far.

Now if he can get cops on the beat and visible to law abiding citizens that would be great too. Supers in all the big cities need a kick here. Drew are you listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

A Good start
    Now if he can get cops on the beat and visible to law abiding citizens that would be great too. Supers in all the big cities need a kick here. Drew are you listening!

I hear ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The best thing FG and the MoJ ever did was step aside and get in an outsider.

We have the likes of McCabe to thank for opening the door. The country will be better for it.

Completely agree. I already have more faith in the organisation.

blanch152 wrote: »
    So you are unable to post comparative statistics to show that Ireland is more corrupt than anywhere else?
    Eh? I'm not making a claim about any trends in corruption, perceived or otherwise.

I'm simply saying that your post made no sense. It can be used by either 'side' to deny or affirm their fundamental beliefs, however valid in reality.

No prosecutions: We're not corrupt/ Of course they wouldn't prosecute, they're corrupt
    Prosecutions: see? We're not corrupt/ OMG proof of corruption.

I'm thinking here of dubious Garda "practices" in the past- i.e. cancelling penalty points for friends/relatives etc. Accepted by many Gardai as standard practice, right up to the top man/woman, but of course, grossly wrong-but not thought so obviously by those in charge- btw- thanks McCabe, hope you're enjoying your well deserved retirement ;)

So is this just on a grander and more serious scale from a crime perspective? And is this the start of a huge shakeup or is it simply a localised issue?

Time will tell. And of course, all concerned innocent until proven guilty.

I'm just wondering is this investigation rooted in accepted "bad practice" or something more sinister?

If it's about "bad practice" what areas of policing in Ireland are next to be disrupted?

I'm reminded of the news this week about Garda drivers potentially being allocated penalty points for driving through red lights, without good reason- seems like a lot of accepted norms and practices are being questioned now.

What Phoenix Park incident ;)

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some people don’t seem to know what they want.
    They complain about corruption in the Garda.
    When the Garda investigate and arrest people they complain more.
    Investigations take time and these three have not been convicted yet but fair play to those officers doing the investigating. Hope they’re successful in their efforts to find wrong doers.

I say fair play to them for doing the investigation. It would have been far easier for them to brush it under the carpet for PR, particularly as there was a Superintendent arrested.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I wasn't can fan of drew Harris appointment, but obviously he is going to clear the decks and root out corruption.
    It's amazing to think a high ranking Garda would be guilty of the crimes these men are accused of.

So, it's OK for one to be a bit dodgy but not others? What is your criteria for turning a blind eye?

I wasn't can fan of drew Harris appointment, but obviously he is going to clear the decks and root out corruption.
    It's amazing to think a high ranking Garda would be guilty of the crimes these men are accused of.

I'm taking the stance of "innocent until proven guilty"- (as I'm sure you are)- but I'll be watching closely as we all will be, as to whether this is about out and out "corruption" or bad and unofficial but accepted Garda practices and norms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I'm taking the stance of "innocent until proven guilty"- (as I'm sure you are)- but I'll be watching closely as we all will be, as to whether this is about out and out "corruption" or bad and unofficial but accepted Garda practices and norms.

To be honest I'll hoping it's not true.
    The Garda have had a bad run lately, its the rank and file I feel sorry for.
    The Garda are the foundation of the state

I'm thinking here of dubious Garda "practices" in the past- i.e. cancelling penalty points for friends/relatives etc. Accepted by many Gardai as standard practice, right up to the top man/woman, but of course, grossly wrong-but not thought so obviously by those in charge- btw- thanks McCabe, hope you're enjoying your well deserved retirement ;)

So is this just on a grander and more serious scale from a crime perspective? And is this the start of a huge shakeup or is it simply a localised issue?

Time will tell. And of course, all concerned innocent until proven guilty.

I'm just wondering is this investigation rooted in accepted "bad practice" or something more sinister?

If it's about "bad practice" what areas of policing in Ireland are next to be disrupted?

I'm reminded of the news this week about Garda drivers potentially being allocated penalty points for driving through red lights, without good reason- seems like a lot of accepted norms and practices are being questioned now.

If there is to be proper reform with the Gardai it needs to tie into the judicial system. I can see why many in the force are disillusioned when there are lads laughing at the courts as they stand on front of the judge with 158 convictions only to be given a slap on the wrist.

The revolving courtroom door must stop. So much work to do in fairness but hopefully its a start.

If there is to be proper reform with the Gardai it needs to tie into the judicial system. I can see why many in the force are disillusioned when there are lads laughing at the courts as they stand on front of the judge with 158 convictions only to be given a slap on the wrist.

The revolving courtroom door must stop. So much work to do in fairness but hopefully its a start.

I couldn't agree more. And let's say it: Dealing with these scumbags who disrupt society the way they do, is a terribly difficult job and Gardai should be supported on that front.

What I'd like to see instead of memos issued around Garda breaking traffic lights getting penalty points is a memo saying "look, some norms in the past are no longer acceptable- let's all move on and develop processes and systems that work well "- that could clear the air and diffuse the tension.

You'll be waiting a lifetime for judicial reform.

bubblypop wrote: »
    So, it's OK for one to be a bit dodgy but not others? What is your criteria for turning a blind eye?

Comparitively speaking one is far less dodgy than the other. These are Gardai who are allegedly involved in organised crime. Thats as serious as it gets. Making an error in judgement does not come remotely near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont think the Gardai are corrupt on a grand scale. Nonetheless the penalty points saga and the 2 million fake breath tests do show that a level of low level corruption did exist which has now been cleaned up thanks to the work of Maurice McCabe, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly and others.

I think though where senior Gardai and drug squad members converge with criminals from the cartels then you have serious potential for corruption. As I said up the thread the Kinahan cartel is now shifting €1bn of drugs in Ireland, per year, every year. With a turnover of €1bn allocating €20m or €30m for bribing members of the Gardai & Customs for safe passage of your shipments would be small change in the grander scheme of things. And if you look at any other major drugs cartel in the world one thing they always do is bribe the police.

If you're running an international drug cartel then bribing the police makes excellent business sense on two main grounds- firstly your shipments get through unhindered but also if they ever are caught now they've got a bunch of compromised coppers who they can use as leverage to get a lesser sentence or get off the charges entirely. Another advantage of bribing them is to use the cops for intel on your competitors.

So for me I would find it pretty unbelievable that the Kinahan cartel do not have some members of AGS in their pockets. Its either that or the Gardai are extremely incompetent and aren't able to lay a glove on them. Personally I think it is the former, human nature being what it is a detective on €70k a year is always going to be attracted by a six figure sum of a bribe just for keeping his eyes and ears shut.

I think this investigation of Gardai having contacts with the Rathkeale Rovers in Limerick is far more than just bad practice. We dont know the full details yet but it sounds to me like this is full on collusion between Gardai and members of a criminal gang. And it seems like it goes all the way up to Inspector level, this is some serious sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I often dealt with them lads in Limerick and I found them spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I often dealt with them lads in Limerick and I found them spot on.
    The Rathkeale Rovers or the Guards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement