Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Garda corruption being investigated.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

The Rathkeale Rovers or the Guards?

Shure they're all the one now, aren't they.

Seriously I did a few runs for a lad that did a bit of business for them though. I can't say a bad word about them.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont think the Gardai are corrupt on a grand scale.

Just to clarify- it wasn't that there was a "grand scale" thing going on- more that it was more of a much more serious crime from a sentencing perspective than something like cancelling penalty points.
    I don't believe Gardai, in general are "corrupt"- just to clarify- thanks. But will be interesting to see there is a general investigation underway across units around "unofficial practices" or more "purer" corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

For decades they dealt with things internally and secretively. Them days is - going on this - gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The best thing FG and the MoJ ever did was step aside and get in an outsider.

We have the likes of McCabe to thank for opening the door. The country will be better for it.

Wasn’t it Sinn Féin who criticized his appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭xlogo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just to clarify- it wasn't that there was a "grand scale" thing going on- more that it was more of a much more serious crime from a sentencing perspective than something like cancelling penalty points.
    I don't believe Gardai, in general are "corrupt"- just to clarify- thanks. But will be interesting to see there is a general investigation underway across units around "unofficial practices" or more "purer" corruption.

I hear ya but the thing that isnt widely known or appreciated about the penalty points saga is that some people lost their lives or ended up with serious life changing injuries as a result of it. So while the nation shrugged its shoulders and said "so what?" you had families in mourning because a loved one was killed by a driver who should have been off the road but wasnt becuase he had mates in the Gardai.

I think it was The Irish Times who did a good article on the human cost of the penalty points sage- iirc the worst instance was a driver who was caught speeding four times in the space of just six weeks. One of the speeding offences was circa 150kph in an 80kph zone. But each and every time he got the points cancelled. At this point he should have been off the road but he wasn't because of this Garda corruption. This individual basically felt like he had been given a license to speed by the Gardai, the very organisation tasked with preventing speeding. The same driver shortly afterwards went on to kill a man in an road traffic accident, again he was speeding. It was a completely unnecessary and preventable death and it happened because en masse superintendents were allowing friends of the Gardai to speed carte blanche.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wasn’t it Sinn F who criticized his appointment?

I don't think so.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-garda-commissioner-must-address-concerns-over-loyalist-attacks-says-mcdonald-866461.html
    Ms McDonald said her party had confidence in Drew Harris but he needed to take into account the feelings of victims and survivors.

The party president made the comments on Mr Harris’s first day in his new role. He was attested as the new commissioner in Dublin on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Never an internal anti-corruption unit in the Guards. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I hear ya but the thing that isnt widely known or appreciated about the penalty points saga is that some people lost their lives or ended up with serious life changing injuries as a result of it. So while the nation shrugged its shoulders and said "so what?" you had families in mourning because a loved one was killed by a driver who should have been off the road but wasnt becuase he had mates in the Gardai.

I think it was The Irish Times who did a good article on the human cost of the penalty points sage- iirc the worst instance was a driver who was caught speeding four times in the space of just six weeks. One of the speeding offences was circa 150kph in an 80kph zone. But each and every time he got the points cancelled. At this point he should have been off the road but he wasn't because of this Garda corruption. This individual basically felt like he had been given a license to speed by the Gardai, the very organisation tasked with preventing speeding. The same driver shortly afterwards went on to kill a man in an road traffic accident, again he was speeding. It was a completely unnecessary and preventable death and it happened because en masse superintendents were allowing friends of the Gardai to speed carte blanche.

The gaurds who let this guy off feel somewhat responsible for this I hope.

• Advertisement

The Inspector has been released from custody and was immediately suspended from duty.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Turns out the Garda was a detective Garda who was already suspended.

More juicy bits here.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/garda-corruption-probe-arrests-after-phone-taps-38119736.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Never an internal anti-corruption unit in the Guards. Jesus wept.

There is an Internal Affairs section though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wasn’t it Sinn Féin who criticized his appointment?

Yes, their acolytes were all over these boards criticising it.

MrFresh wrote: »
    There is an Internal Affairs section though.

And there will be an anti-corruption unit by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Sounds like PR. It'll probably be staffed from Internal Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Will the D.A. put it before a Grand Jury though?

Not PR but instructions from the head honcho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Turns out the Garda was a detective Garda who was already suspended.

More juicy bits here.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/garda-corruption-probe-arrests-after-phone-taps-38119736.html

Juicy indeed
    More arrests are expected to be made, with a number of civilians likely to be detained shortly. The next round-up of suspects may also include further garda arrests. Senior sources told Independent.ie that the arrests would open up a new phase in their investigation.“This is not over by a long way. There is a lot more work to do and a lot more detail to emerge and be examined.” Investigators believe the arrests will be result in fresh lines of inquiry being pursued.

In the follow-up phase, gardai “will be looking down different avenues”, one officer said.The payment of cash is believed to be central to many of the allegations of corruption.

Its beginning to look like the Rathkeale Rovers have more than a few Gardai in their pockets. Travellers colluding with Gardai, who'd have thunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wasn't can fan of drew Harris appointment, but obviously he is going to clear the decks and root out corruption.
    It's amazing to think a high ranking Garda would be guilty of the crimes these men are accused of.

Is it amazing?

Given past trends it would be amazing if each division didn't have supers and above like this

• Advertisement

A police force will generally attract two types of people: those who genuinely want to help make a better society / those who like to find an opportunity to gain power and bully. And many somewhere in between who get sucked into aiding “small scale” corruption but ting their own blind eye to their actions. A whole crosscut of human society & ambition. Bound to have major black spots of corruption. Same as church clergy abuse where many were attracted into the church by their own genuine faith and the longing to share it; but many others attracted by the opportunities to gain trust and be able to feed their paedophile fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

A police force will generally attract two types of people: those who genuinely want to help make a better society / those who like to find an opportunity to gain power and bully. And many somewhere in between who get sucked into aiding “small scale” corruption but ting their own blind eye to their actions. A whole crosscut of human society & ambition. Bound to have major black spots of corruption. Same as church clergy abuse where many were attracted into the church by their own genuine faith and the longing to share it; but many others attracted by the opportunities to gain trust and be able to feed their paedophile fantasies.

Yes at the start of the week you have a Garda risking his life trying to stop a drink driver and lucky to be a live and done it because he say children in the car and was only outside limerick city, and then this blows up today, just goes to show there is bad eggs in every way of life, it says the superintendent had a 'turbulent' thing in his life which the criminals knew about so it is interesting, kind of like line of duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Nice bit of an aul corrupt gardai.

Go on the chickaloonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

These guys better start saying their prayers.

If they end up in the clink (which I doubt somehow) they'll be one step lower than the beasties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Red Rock makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That's the exact same as politics in my opinion. You can very obviously see the people that are in it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

More garda arrests coming according to the indo.

The gardas phones were tapped.

Hopefully this will come as a reality check to other corrupt gardai not caught up in this particular swoop.

Drew Harris doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

blanch152 wrote:
    As a country, we are among the least corrupt in the world, and have been ranked as that for quite some years.

Links to
    Back up you statement please.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

These gardai were arrested on Wednesday morning, but no names have been made public.
    Clare Daly on the other hand was arrested one evening and it was leaked for publication the following morning.
    Without doubt plenty of corruption in the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

TCM wrote: »
    These gardai were arrested on Wednesday morning, but no names have been made public.
    Clare Daly on the other hand was arrested one evening and it was leaked for publication the following morning.
    Without doubt plenty of corruption in the Gardai.

From what I can remember, Claire Daly contacted the media herself with the info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement