Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Garda corruption being investigated.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TCM wrote: »
    Links to
    Back up you statement please.

Much work to do vis a vis some other first world countries but still rank quite high.

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

These guys better start saying their prayers.

If they end up in the clink (which I doubt somehow) they'll be one step lower than the beasties

Prayers you say? Which God would be the best one to pray to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

If they end up in the clink (which I doubt somehow) they'll be one step lower than the beasties

Doubt that to be honest pal. You've been watching a few too many TV shows. Irish prisons are full of weedy scrotebags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Drug gangs in limerick city and county have been operating without a care in the world the past ten years destroying many young lives and communities in the process .
    Now we see why no one of them were ever caught .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think this investigation of Gardai having contacts with the Rathkeale Rovers in Limerick

It's not the Rathkeale Rovers, but it's not a million miles away either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Askeaton Anaconda's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Never an internal anti-corruption unit in the Guards. Jesus wept.
    Giving themselves a free pass to do as they liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Gerry G wrote:
    From what I can remember, Claire Daly contacted the media herself with the info.

GSOC said her arrest was leaked by Garda, but if course no was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

GSOC said her arrest was leaked by Garda, but if course no was taken.
    Embarrassing stories about Sinn Fein have had a way of getting out too, and remember Alan Shatter on TV, discussing Mick Wallace using a phone while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Embarrassing stories about Sinn Fein have had a way of getting out too, and remember Alan Shatter on TV, discussing Mick Wallace using a phone while driving.

That was real Gestapo stuff by Shatter.

That level of monitoring of a political opponent.

He was careless in revealing standard procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Around that time it started to become apparent that corruption was widespread and went to the top. Would have serious concerns about Drew Harris’ background, but no doubt an outsider was needed as commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Askeaton Anaconda's ?

Further West

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Links to
    Back up you statement please.

Already posted this in the thread, you should have read a bit further.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    So you are unable to post comparative statistics to show that Ireland is more corrupt than anywhere else?

https://www.transparency.ie/news_events/corruption-perceptions-index-2018-ireland-cannot-be-complacent-about-corruption

We are 18th best out of 180.

"Recent initiatives such as the passing of the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018 and the establishment of an anti-corruption unit within An Garda Síochána are to be welcomed. The measures should have a positive long-term impact on Ireland’s international reputation if they are resourced and implemented adequately’, said John Devitt, Chief Executive of Transparency International (TI) Ireland"

Not perfect, not even very good, but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Already posted this in the thread, you should have read a bit further.

So even with recent activities you think the Garda are a force to be happy with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Danzy wrote: »
    That was real Gestapo stuff by Shatter.

That level of monitoring of a political opponent.

He was careless in revealing standard procedure.

Both that and the Daly arrest were deliberate attempts by the government and police to discredit TDs who had raised issues of malpractice within the Gardaí. We should not forget the level of political policing that was happening only very recently. They would still be doing it today only that some brave people stood up and said enough is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Drew Harris for Taoiseach please!

Overnight, the Children's Hospital and Rural Broadband estimates would magically be cut in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Drug gangs in limerick city and county have been operating without a care in the world the past ten years destroying many young lives and communities in the process .
    Now we see why no one of them were ever caught .
    Funny but I cant remember Kieran Keane, the Dundons, Ryans and Collopy family members giving themselves up to serve long sentences. It must have been the Legion of Mary that hunted them down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Gerry G wrote: »

Prayers you say? Which God would be the best one to pray to?

The deity known as Callinan, God of shredding documents and disappearing mobile devices that might or might not contain incriminating evidence.

The deity known as Callinan, God of shredding documents and disappearing mobile devices that might or might not contain incriminating evidence.
    Lets start a Go fund me to cover his legal fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It wasn't me it was a one armed man, when I came home there was a man in my house, he had one arm, find that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Edgware wrote: »

He won't have to pay a bean -

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/05/17/his-legal-bill-is-being-paid-out-of-the-taxpayer-funded-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Kivaro wrote: »
    Drew Harris for Taoiseach please!

Overnight, the Children's Hospital and Rural Broadband estimates would magically be cut in half.
    Probably the one value for money appointment since the founding of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

One of the gaurds in the probe was promoted under investigation it seems. rewarding the right people.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-arrested-corruption-probe-promoted-16158000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gerry G wrote: »
    From what I can remember, Claire Daly contacted the media herself with the info.

Thats completely incorrect. Clare Dalys arrest was leaked to the tabloids almost immediately. They then later contacted her and she confirmed the arrest. It later came out that 50+ Gardai from numerous stations around the country had looked up her Pulse file to find out details of the arrest when it didnt even happen in their district, basically they were a bunch of peeping toms having a nosey.

An Garda Siochana is literally the most leaky institution in the State. The entire Sunday World is basically a mix of gossip and Garda leaks and would go out of business in the morning if they didn't have inside info coming from the Gardai on a weekly basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Funny but I cant remember Kieran Keane, the Dundons, Ryans and Collopy family members giving themselves up to serve long sentences. It must have been the Legion of Mary that hunted them down

That’s more than ten years ago . A lot of fresh drug dealers particularly in the county operating with impunity the past few years flooding the county with cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are we sure about this? Not questioning you but there was another Garda arrested last February and the media reported he was passing info to the Rathkeale Rovers that they were about to be raided by CAB so I thought these latest arrests are related to that one. That first investigation is ongoing too, we're up to four Gardai now arressted for dodgy goings on with a criminal gang in Limerick with more arrests of Gardai expected to follow.

Whatever is going on down there it seems like trust in the local force has gone out the window due to leaks. CAB and the National Crime Bureau did not share any information with local superintendents before the raids happened and all the officers who carried out the raids were not from the area. They don't seem to know what Gardai are fully trustworthy down in Limerick so they kept their mouths shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If there is to be proper reform with the Gardai it needs to tie into the judicial system. I can see why many in the force are disillusioned when there are lads laughing at the courts as they stand on front of the judge with 158 convictions only to be given a slap on the wrist.

The revolving courtroom door must stop. So much work to do in fairness but hopefully its a start.
    I couldn't agree more. And let's say it: Dealing with these scumbags who disrupt society the way they do, is a terribly difficult job and Gardai should be supported on that front.

What I'd like to see instead of memos issued around Garda breaking traffic lights getting penalty points is a memo saying "look, some norms in the past are no longer acceptable- let's all move on and develop processes and systems that work well "- that could clear the air and diffuse the tension.

You'll be waiting a lifetime for judicial reform.

Investigating the practice of some of our judiciary who have overturned criminal convictions without hearing any evidence whatsoever would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Both that and the Daly arrest were deliberate attempts by the government and police to discredit TDs who had raised issues of malpractice within the Gardaí. We should not forget the level of political policing that was happening only very recently. They would still be doing it today only that some brave people stood up and said enough is enough.

I'm very far right by Irish standards but for the work they did in aiding Maurice Mc Cabe and exposing corruption in AGS, I'd vote for Claire Daly and the pink shirted one

Even communists can do some good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tinkers are too dumb and reactionary to not eventually get caught red handed, Limerick didn't have christy kinehan kingpins, one of the crime bosses lived in St Mary's Park FFS, the biggest kip of an estate in the country

The only astounding thing about Limerick was how bad it was allowed get

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement