Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Garda corruption being investigated.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats completely incorrect. Clare Dalys arrest was leaked to the tabloids almost immediately. They then later contacted her and she confirmed the arrest. It later came out that 50+ Gardai from numerous stations around the country had looked up her Pulse file to find out details of the arrest when it didnt even happen in their district, basically they were a bunch of peeping toms having a nosey.

An Garda Siochana is literally the most leaky institution in the State. The entire Sunday World is basically a mix of gossip and Garda leaks and would go out of business in the morning if they didn't have inside info coming from the Gardai on a weekly basis.

Sure Paul Williams never independently investigated a story in his life, every word he has ever uttered or put in print came from a drinking buddy cop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm very far right by Irish standards but for the work they did in aiding Maurice Mc Cabe and exposing corruption in AGS, I'd vote for Claire Daly and the pink shirted one

Even communists can do some good

That's right. Send both of them off to Brussels. I'm sure they will find something to keep them occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tomorrows Sunday Times is reporting that the Garda Inspector arrested was caught on CCTV buying cocaine and also sniffing it in a bar. He must have been sniffing it in the public area of the bar too, unlikely there is CCTV in the toilet cubicles.

Article also says that senior Gardai believe there is a significant amount of officers who are smoking weed and taking cocaine and members have already been suspended. Drew Harris now wants to set up mandatory drug testing for members of AGS, something the Defence Forces have had since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Tomorrows Sunday Times is reporting that the Garda Inspector arrested was caught on CCTV buying cocaine and also sniffing it in a bar. He must have been sniffing it in the public area of the bar too, unlikely there is CCTV in the toilet cubicles.

Article also says that senior Gardai believe there is a significant amount of officers who are smoking weed and taking cocaine and members have already been suspended. Drew Harris now wants to set up mandatory drug testing for members of AGS, something the Defence Forces have had since 2003.

Very easy to fool the tests. I think we just need to legalise drugs. Remove the gangs & crime. Do something like the Swiss. Crimes related to drugs have gone down big time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Paddico

Senior Sports figure arrested a few days ago

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-sports-figure-arrested-in-probe-into-garda-corruption-38287178.html

Given a headline like that and the area around Tipperary Town, its could be a former inter country hurler or high profile rugby player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Paddico wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-sports-figure-arrested-in-probe-into-garda-corruption-38287178.html

Given a headline like that and the area around Tipperary Town, its could be a former inter country hurler or high profile rugby player

He probably washed the Jerseys for a county team

Rarely do these headlines reflect the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Paddico wrote: »

It’s a county limerick based greyhound trainer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

digzy wrote: »
    It’s a greyhound trainer.....

High profile my eye.

splinter65 wrote: »
    High profile my eye.

He’d be a pretty successful one to be fair...... having the dogs coked contributes to that success....allegedly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rumored he is a pigeon fancier.

Was thinking retired jockey or trainer myself

Was thinking retired jockey or trainer myself

Thats true. I think one popped up in that area before with a connection to criminality

It’s a county limerick based greyhound trainer.....

Heard who it is a few days ago. It is a greyhound trainer with the highest level of success both here and in the UK.
    Comes from quite a famous and well respected family too.

A bit of mad news for that local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Serious stuff if it turns out to be true. Means there is a murderer on the loose because a Garda destroyed a witness statement to protect an informant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This story has now moved on to a re-hash of the penalty points scandal. Summonses were issued to prosecute known criminals and GAA players over road traffic offences but individual Gardai never served the summonses. The National Crime Bureau are now investigating if they were put under pressure from senior Gardai to let these people off the hook.

RTE report said that 15 Gardai in the south of the country have been questioned and their phones confiscated. There are also a number of prominent GAA players involved and their phones have been seized too.

This story has now moved on to a re-hash of the penalty points scandal. Summonses were issued to prosecute known criminals and GAA players over road traffic offences but individual Gardai never served the summonses. The National Crime Bureau are now investigating if they were put under pressure from senior Gardai to let these people off the hook.

RTE report said that 15 Gardai in the south of the country have been questioned and their phones confiscated. There are also a number of prominent GAA players involved and their phones have been seized too.

Wonder will jp fix this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I am shocked this has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I guess they weren't high up or connected enough to have known to 'recycle' their mobiles beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

SexBobomb wrote: »

How would you be shocked? The Gardai have been corrupt for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

How would you be shocked? The Gardai have been corrupt for decades.

sohWhy9g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If that's true then I'll lose a lot of respect for the organisation.

It compares in many ways to the irish catholic church - a complete lack of transparency, the closing of ranks and omerta to protect its own members regardless of what they've done or have been accused of.

For instance the now departed martin callinan - does it make sense that he - after becoming the highest ranked garda in the state - suddenly takes to trying to besmirch the name of a whistleblower and portray him as a child molester? Or is it a pattern thats followed him throughout his career. Given that, is there going to be a review of his past statements in internal garda correspondence on others he may well have targeted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

SexBobomb wrote: »

Really I am not. I thought this was normal practice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There'll be plenty of people starting to wring their hands now over that little phone call they made to a garda mate after getting stopped at a checkpoint.

It was absolutely rampant at one point and would still have been well-practiced into recent times. I'd say every currently serving Garda has either done this or ignored a colleague doing it, at least once.

Of course they won't go after everyone, but a few high-profile convictions, sackings and lost pensions will be enough to bring cultural change to the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Doc07

seamus wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of people starting to wring their hands now over that little phone call they made to a garda mate after getting stopped at a checkpoint.

It was absolutely rampant at one point and would still have been well-practiced into recent times. I'd say every currently serving Garda has either done this or ignored a colleague doing it, at least once.

Of course they won't go after everyone, but a few high-profile convictions, sackings and lost pensions will be enough to bring cultural change to the force.

I agree with most of that but unless you are actually convicted of a crime and go to actual jail , I'm genuinely not sure if any public servant has ever lost a pension!
    All the recent ‘heads on a plate’ be it Garda Chiefs,
    Ministers, FAI chiefs, HSE chiefs, have one thing in common, nobody lost a cent.

Wonder will jp fix this one!!

Well he'll be meeting them all down in the Bahamas next week.
    SENIOR GAA OFFICIALS in Limerick are due to meet tomorrow to discuss explosive claims that a senior garda intervened to ensure prosecutions against some GAA officials and players did not proceed.

Sources close to the Limerick County Board said they were “shocked” at claims that cases of road traffic offences, criminal damage and a drink-driving related matter were either abandoned or not followed up on properly. Players and officials are “keeping their heads down”, a senior GAA source said yesterday, adding: “It’s very shocking.”

A monthly meeting of the Limerick County Board scheduled for tomorrow night is now set to be dominated by the allegations, which were carried in newspaper reports yesterday. “There’s a full County Board meeting involving all of the clubs on Tuesday night. There will be a management meeting on beforehand, and without a doubt this will be raised,” the source said.“There will be an obligation on the top table to make some kind of a statement on it, to bring clarity. Everyone is in shock,” they added.

Alleged garda corruption

It has been reported that the searches form part of a wider inquiry into alleged garda corruption which is being led by gardaí attached to the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation. However, there is no evidence directly linking officials or players to the NBCI probe, which is concentrated on alleged collusion between gardaí and criminals.hree gardaí have been suspended as part of the wider probe.

“The Limerick players are going on their team holiday next weekend to Barbados. They’re going for about 10 days. This is casting a shadow over that,” the GAA source added. Limerick hurling sponsor JP McManus has organised the luxury trip, which will see the entire squad and their partners visit the McManus-owned Sandy Lane resort.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-gaa-garda-allegations-4840098-Oct2019/

My guess is that some Limerick GAA players are gong to be down in the Caribbean next week with brand new phones.

• Advertisement

Well he'll be meeting them all down in the Bahamas next week.

https://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-gaa-garda-allegations-4840098-Oct2019/

My guess is that some Limerick GAA players are gong to be down in the Caribbean next week with brand new phones.

Sources close to the Limerick County Board said they were “shocked” at claims that cases of road traffic offences, criminal damage and a drink-driving related matter were either abandoned or not followed up on properly. Players and officials are “keeping their heads down”, a senior GAA source said yesterday, adding: “It’s very shocking.”
    It is, senior GAA source, it is.
    https://www.pixoto.com/images-photography/animals---cats/portraits/shocked-cat-6676088843403264

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement