Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Championship Official Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mushy wrote: »
    As if proof was needed he'd crush the field, shotracker was deceived into looking like first tee shot was rough bound. Straight onto the fairway past it, almost tap in birdie now

Every time they've used that new thing it's been way off. They used it for the few groups in front and it wasn't right once.

This is one dull tournament, 120ish posts in this thread tells a story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pissartist wrote: »
    The man's a machine

In the majors for sure. He mustn’t be too worried about other events as if he did he’d surely pummel the field most weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NDWC wrote: »
    The lads at sky will be hoping Jazz Janewattananond isn't up there over the weekend

Turns out he is...they seem to have mastered the pronunciation though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Turns out he is...they seem to have mastered the pronunciation though

In so far as they've taken to simply saying Jazz Jane.

Koepka could break Tiger's record strokes win in a major at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

This is just ridiculous golf really.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    In so far as they've taken to simply saying Jazz Jane.

Koepka could break Tiger's record strokes win in a major at this rate.

And, in the unlikely event, 'Jazz' would set a new record for longest surname of a major winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was Dustin’s tee shot on 10 not in the bunker? Sure the camera showed his ball there.

Collie D wrote: »
    Was Dustin’s tee shot on 10 not in the bunker? Sure the camera showed his ball there.

No it was in thick rough up from the bunker.

Shame he couldn't make that putt after a brilliant third shot.

He's human.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Nobody's putting any pressure on him, very like tiger back in the day

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »
    Nobody's putting any pressure on him, very like tiger back in the day

Couple of bogies but nobody is taking advantage.

Wind is definitely picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Koepka getting massive breaks every time he hits it offline, bit like Tiger at The Masters.

Shame DJ hasn't gotten anything going to make it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

fullstop wrote: »
    Every time they've used that new thing it's been way off. They used it for the few groups in front and it wasn't right once.

This is one dull tournament, 120ish posts in this thread tells a story.

Koepka has ruined it. It’d be a great tournament without him.

It just doesnt matter if he misses a fairway he has been that good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

God hes like robot, no personality or likeable qualities at all.

Good golfer though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

tobsey wrote:
    Koepka has ruined it. It’d be a great tournament without him.
    Did you say that about Tiger when he ran away with tournaments?

I think 138 posts on the thread says it all, people just don't want to see runaway winners, as impressive as it is from a golfing perspective.

TV ratings will be very low I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

NDWC wrote:
    I think 138 posts on the thread says it all, people just don't want to see runaway winners, as impressive as it is from a golfing perspective.
    TV ratings will be very low I imagine
    Well personally, and I think there ate many like me, I find it awesome to see somebody beat up a monstrous course like Bethpage Black.
    It's just an awesome performance and I like watching mastery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you say that about Tiger when he ran away with tournaments?

Not at all. It’s not a criticism of koepka at all. I’ve enjoyed watching him being so much better than everyone else. If he wasn’t in the tournament the tit for tat going on for second place today would have been for the lead, and would have been a great spectacle. He’s just been streets ahead of the rest which has meant there’s not much to be excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well personally, and I think there ate many like me, I find it awesome to see somebody beat up a monstrous course like Bethpage Black.
    It's just an awesome performance and I like watching mastery.

Completely agree. What I don't want to see week in week out is -15/20 over 4 rounds, I hope to play to par or just better, why should it be any different for the pros. We can't control the weather but can control the course. These guys are the best 150 or whatever in the world, if they're not on the fairway every time as they should be, or close to, they should be punished hard.

It's great to see, and fair play Brooks. Walking beside spieth he makes him look like a skinny kid, time to hit the gym lads. It's now a game for athlete's not fat drinkers (unless your an amateur in which case its ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I like Koepka. He's very much his own man and the chip on the shoulder thing just seems to give him the motivation to obliterate the field. He spent two years on the European Tour, which is also unusual for a US golfer. And imo, it's made him the player he is today. He has all the shots really. He hit a tee shot yesterday and the commentators were saying he'd be in the rough on the line he took. Camera cuts to him walking off the tee after showing the ball landing on the fairway and he's telling his caddy that he didn't catch all of it. :D

Has to be the most muscular player out there. He could play flanker in rugby.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I like Koepka. He's very much his own man and the chip on the shoulder thing just seems to give him the motivation to obliterate the field. He spent two years on the European Tour, which is also unusual for a US golfer. And imo, it's made him the player he is today. He has all the shots really. He hit a tee shot yesterday and the commentators were saying he'd be in the rough on the line he took. Camera cuts to him walking off the tee after showing the ball landing on the fairway and he's telling his caddy that he didn't catch all of it. :D

Has to be the most muscular player out there. He could play flanker in rugby.

Same as,his time on the European tour is a powerful motivating factor and he most definitely has a chip on his shoulder.I admire him all the more that he does not appear fawn over the media.

Here's an interview with David Feherty.

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/rss.art19.com/episodes/a1386ea5-1214-418d-98e8-96dcd06e2da9.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

seligehgit wrote: »
    Same as,his time on the European tour is a powerful motivating factor and he most definitely has a chip on his shoulder.I admire him all the more that he does not appear fawn over the media.

Here's an interview with David Feherty.

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/rss.art19.com/episodes/a1386ea5-1214-418d-98e8-96dcd06e2da9.mp3

Great interview. He comes across as quite a nice guy - very confident, but not arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Great watching Koepka, I was actually hoping for him to be more dominant yesterday and blow the field away completely.

It's amazing how a media agenda can change peoples perceptions of a sport.

We were constantly told that Woods dominating was good for the game and there was even a narrative building over the last few years that Woods personality was part of the reason he was so popular.This was despite the fact that in reality when he was at his best Woods had almost zero personality and was machine like .

Koepka over the past 2 years is almost identical to what Woods was like and people seem to hate it now.

People never shut up whining about Sergio Garcia, Matt Wallace, Jon Rahm's outbursts of emotion on the course but then when someone keeps nice and calm like Koepka is they don't seem to like it either.

Is the course playing a harder today? Only a few under par for the day so far, most still on the front nine. I know this is theoretically the weaker end of the field but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Only the 13 shots better today from Beemer as he finishes with a 69, great performance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Sorry if it's been asked, not a golfer, but watch the majors - are the greens in really bad nick?

They're very patchy, moreso than I can recall seeing before..

• Advertisement

Ben Done wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked, not a golfer, but watch the majors - are the greens in really bad nick?

They're very patchy, moreso than I can recall seeing before..

Sometimes it looks like that on TV even when they're in excellent condition. I believe it's down to the type of grass, which is poa annua this week if I'm not mistaken.

Advertisement