Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Road Cycling.

Options
  • 16-05-2019 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've just ordered my first road bike a Giant Contend 1 2019 and have ordered some shorts and gear off decathlon.

I intend on cycling to work everyday 30k round trip and getting out on the weekend.Am looking for some info on some beginner routes around Wicklow / South Dublin that wont break me.

I know the Spinx and some of the routes around Stepaside but wouldnt be 100% confident on where to go.

Any Recommendation on gear that i should look into.

Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Also cycling Ireland for the insurance should I join this ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gear - if commuting, mudguards, lights, etc. not quite as important coming into the summer obviously.
    more important for leisure spins - spares for mechanical issues. spare tube, tyre levers, a multitool, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Myleftpeg wrote: »
    Also cycling Ireland for the insurance should I join this ?

Makes no sense not to, you will be able to download a €20 voucher fir Cycle superstore, ita a no brainer, best of luck and safe cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

As regards finding routes and all that, i've made a few forays up the Dublin mountains lately. I don't know the area but it's nice exploring around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Get a strava account (free) to find routes close to you, or mapmyride. Strava have a free app for your phone that is easy to use to track where you went (and how fast/slow). You can plan routes to guide you as well as copy other peoples ideas. You'd need a paid subscription to directly copy routes, but the free one gives you ideas - that's what I did when I was new to the area.
    Best thing is to just go out and enjoy yourself. Start slowly and build up to longer spins once you find places you like riding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

why not try join a club? Most would do beginner spins or lads just out for few hours spins

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Best of luck, and enjoy:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

I've just ordered my first road bike a Giant Contend 1 2019 and have ordered some shorts and gear off decathlon.

I got that exact bike back in November, also my first road bike. I've found it to be a great choice, both for commuting and longer weekend spins.

One thing I'd recommend for commuting is a decent quality and comfortable backpack. If you've got everything in there (laptop, clothes, shoes) you'll probably want something around 20l capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    I got that exact bike back in November, also my first road bike. I've found it to be a great choice, both for commuting and longer weekend spins.

One thing I'd recommend for commuting is a decent quality and comfortable backpack. If you've got everything in there (laptop, clothes, shoes) you'll probably want something around 20l capacity.

Get s waterproof cover for the bag too

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Here are a few routes I created when I started out road cycling. They start at 45k and build up to about 80k. All starting and ending in Bray where I live. You can adjust depending on where your own starting point is. The route mapping tool in strava is very easy to use and can be used in conjunction with your phone. Hope these are some use to you.

Route 1: 45k Bray - > Powerscourt waterfall -> Glencree -> Featherbeds -> Glencullen -> Bray
    https://www.strava.com/routes/170415

Route 2 : 50k Bray -> Powerscourt -> Glencree -> Sally Gap -> Lugala -> Roundwood -> Bray
    https://www.strava.com/routes/170409

Route 3: 73k Bray -> Powerscourt -> Glencree -> Sally Gap -> Military Road -> Laragh -> Roundwood -> Bray
    https://www.strava.com/routes/170423

Route 4: 80k Bray -> Roundwood -> Laragh -> Milary Road -> Sally Gap -> Glencree -> Featherbeds -> Glencullen -> Bray
    https://www.strava.com/routes/170427

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

Thanks for the all above.

I went on 30k cycle on the weekend. Me Ar*e is rather sore

shorts are very very important.

Cheap ones are ok for an hour or so, but it is really worth getting something with a decent gel pad.

That said though, I have a cheap pair of FDX tights from Amazon and the pad is very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cough

Advertisement