Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmer decries "snowflake" veterinary students

• 16-05-2019 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/farmers-refusing-to-take-on-snowflake-vet-students-38116824.html

"We put the two students in boots and they went working in the shed. Later that day they came back crying as they didn't like the way one of our workers was shouting at the pigs when moving them," he said. "They never came back, and reported us to the Department of Agriculture.

Kerry pig farmer Shane McAuliffe said this wasn't an isolated case and labelled some veterinary students as part of a "snowflake generation" that is disconnected from farming.

Now I think Shane has a valid point in that there is a disconnect to farming from those that eat meat. However, this should really be a warning shot to him as an animal farmer that maybe people would not be so keen to eat meat if they were less-disconnected in that people appreciated fully the process from farm to fork.

He describes compassionate veterinary students as being "snowflakes" for not liking how pig farmers spoke to the pigs being reared which is a little bit funny and perhaps hypocritical as the main reason people eat cows and pigs instead of dogs and cats is down to societal norms.

Coupled with the announcement of a farming bailout, it would appear that the tide is going out on the animal farming industry https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/big-phils-100m-election-bailout-for-leo-38117362.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

people know where their meats come from they just dont want to think about it. Alot of the younger generation are turning in to a bunch of little ideological group think pussies who cant stand hardship or anything that doesnt agree with their fluffy all is nice with the world type of thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

neris wrote: »
    people know where their meats come from they just dont want to think about it. Alot of the younger generation are turning in to a bunch of little ideological group think pussies who cant stand hardship or anything that doesnt agree with their fluffy all is nice with the world type of thinking

It’s the people who can’t come to terms with people not wanting to eat as much meat and caring about animal welfare who are the real “snowflakes”.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If they reported them over shouting at pigs that's obviously ridiculous.

We're only hearing one side of the story here though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I only eat meat from farms that dont shout at the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

It’s the people who can’t come to terms with people not wanting to eat as much meat and caring about animal welfare who are the real “snowflakes”.

The only people who care about not eating meat are the non meat eaters, making a big dance about it. Nobody cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If I thought too much about where my meat came from I wouldn’t eat it so I don’t. I used to be a vegetarian in my youth, couldn’t stick to it as I got older. Still don’t like to think about what a hypocrite I am. Complete fully signed up snowflake.

A vet crying is a bit much though, how are they going to react when an animal is injured or they have to put it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes, you often see omnivores in vegan/vegetarian restaurants causing a scene and trying to put people off their tofu. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh no, thats the veggies/vegans.

GLaDOS wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised. A few of my mates who are meat eaters are very "shocked" when they see even normal methods and equipment used in organic and right-on farming. Plenty seem to think farm animals should be treated like family pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If I thought too much about where my meat came from I wouldn’t eat it so I don’t. I used to be a vegetarian in my youth, couldn’t stick to it as I got older. Still don’t like to think about what a hypocrite I am. Complete fully signed up snowflake.

A vet crying is a bit much though, how are they going to react when an animal is injured or they have to put it down.

There's a difference though between putting an animal down and being injured while being on a farm. Putting it down is most likely in its best interests, to ease suffering for example. Treating an injured farm animal is just prolonging its life before its gratuitous slaughter for food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/farmers-refusing-to-take-on-snowflake-vet-students-38116824.html
    Now I think Shane has a valid point in that there is a disconnect to farming from those that eat meat. However, this should really be a warning shot to him as an animal farmer that maybe people would not be so keen to eat meat if they were less-disconnected in that people appreciated fully the process from farm to fork.
    He describes compassionate veterinary students as being "snowflakes" for not liking how pig farmers spoke to the pigs being reared which is a little bit funny and perhaps hypocritical as the main reason people eat cows and pigs instead of dogs and cats is down to societal norms.Coupled with the announcement of a farming bailout, it would appear that the tide is going out on the animal farming industry https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/big-phils-100m-election-bailout-for-leo-38117362.html

Ah crzist not another thread on the evils of meat and the nasty farmers :rolleyes:
    If someone doesn't eat meat fair enough. No one really cares what anyone wants to eat tbh.

• Advertisement

Yes, you often see omnivores in vegan/vegetarian restaurants causing a scene and trying to put people off their tofu. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope people like to talk about these non existent vegans going around telling everyone they’re vegan but from what I can see it’s snowflake meat eaters scared of change making all the noise

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah crzist not another one :rolleyes:
    If you dont eat meat fair enough. No one really cares what you want to eat tbh.

Sure what would you do if you couldn’t give out about vegans all day every day on the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Question I'd like to know is: were the vets veggie/vegan?

If so, then why did they go to a business where animals are bred for slaughter for work esperience?
    If not, then how are they going to react then the animals are killed?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Sure what would you do if you couldn’t give out about vegans all day every day on the internet?

Most vegans are fine in my experience

But I presume you mean a small number of plant food activists screaming about how bad 'de farmers' are and meat is actually nuclear waste or whatever :rolleyes:

gozunda wrote: »
    Most vegans are fine in my experience

But I presume you mean plant food activists screaming about bad de farmers are and meat is actually nuclear waste or whatever :rolleyes:

Lol two eye rolls already in this thread. I’ve never met a vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

He describes compassionate veterinary students as being "snowflakes"...

"Snowflakes"? possibly, but clearly they were clueless individuals with no real life experience.
    Reporting a farmer who gave them work experience to help their career is ridiculous.
    Maybe they should learn a little more about their chosen profession.

It's not all fluffy kittens and supervet TV shows.

It's an issue picking up steam in the UK especially with Brexit looming, they can't get enough vets for the agriculture sector, they all want to deal with pets.

It's an issue picking up steam in the UK especially with Brexit looming, they can't get enough vets for the agriculture sector, they all want to deal with pets.

Would you blame them. Most vets care about animals. Farmers don’t.

Lol two eye rolls already in this thread. I’ve never met a vegan.

Maybe you should. Btw how many references for de nasty farmers is that now? Lol. Just for you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I'm a meat eater.

I've never seen what you describe let alone seen it often.

Don't take a few isolated incidents online colour your view of the real world. Put down your phone and get out a bit.

"Snowflakes"? possibly, but clearly they were clueless individuals with no real life experience.
    Reporting a farmer who gave them work experience to help their career is ridiculous.
    Maybe they should learn a little more about their chosen profession.

It's not all fluffy kittens and supervet TV shows.

Shane McAuliffe is also a qualified vet, so its not just any old kerry farmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I personally wouldn't eat a steak that came from a cow that was ya know objectified and abused. Does anyone stop to think about how the cow feels if someone assumes its pronoun ?
    Is there a safe space for the cow in the shed away from other cows where the cow can reflect on its life choices or lack there of ?

Right before it gets a metal pressurized rod through the head and cut into tasty tasty slices :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Nope people like to talk about these non existent vegans going around telling everyone they’re vegan but from what I can see it’s snowflake meat eaters scared of change making all the noise

Don't forget the shouty farmers too. I hear they're the real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hang on, if they're veterinary students, they're probably animal lovers? Why wouldn't they object to animals being manhandled or mistreated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't veterinarians work with animals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People who never handle animals have no idea.
    Raising your voice and creating a commotion is a great way to move them along without having to interfere with them physically.

I’d rather that than a lad polling the crap out of them with sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

GLaDOS wrote: »

From someone with a history of, lets say, misrepresentation.

TLDR summary: the company make a balls of a photo shoot, resulting in a car accident. Get plenty of abuse. One poster comes on trying to defend them. Gets accused of being an employee, denies it. Lo and behold, it turns out that poster's username is exactly the same as the Twitter handle of one... Shane McAuliffe.

Incidentally, the user's posts were since deleted. Possibly their feelings were a bit hurt after getting called out by the big, bad internet. Almost... snowflake-like behaviour

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I'm a meat eater.

I've never seen what you describe let alone seen it often. Don't take a few isolated incidents online colour your view of the real world. Put down your phone and get out a bit.

I think it was to be taken sarcastically...;)

• Advertisement

Hang on, if they're veterinary students, they're probably animal lovers? Why wouldn't they object to animals being manhandled or mistreated?
    Shouting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Those would be vets are in for one rude awakening if they ever have to work in a meat factory.

Watch the media now for concerted efforts from some to throw Irish farming under the bus.
    There is already those out moaning that Irish farmers may get something to make up for fact they are are possibly losing a huge chunk of their market due to Brexit.

Then you have the fookers trying to solve our carbon emisions by basically axing the animal herds.
    They will remove the livelihoods of thousands of farmers and thus ending the only real indigenous industry we truly excel at and that we are world leaders.
    And in world terms we are one of the most environmentally friendly at the rearing of animals.

At the same time a lot of these fooking numpties will be jetting off for weekends away, jetting off for post leaving cert or post college exams party weeks in sun-drenched water scare areas.

Maybe people need to be reminded that without all those low tax multinational companies we wouldn't really have a pot to pi** in.
    And as has happened in the past those companies will up sticks and move on when it suits them.

I am not allowed discuss …

_Brian wrote: »
    Raising your voice and creating a commotion is a great way to move them along without having to interfere with them physically.

Yeah they do it in schools with kids too. Terrible practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He describes compassionate veterinary students as being "snowflakes" for not liking how pig farmers spoke to the pigs being reared which is a little bit funny and perhaps hypocritical as the main reason people eat cows and pigs instead of dogs and cats is down to societal norms.

Coupled with the announcement of a farming bailout, it would appear that the tide is going out on the animal farming industry https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/big-phils-100m-election-bailout-for-leo-38117362.html

You obviously haven't tasted cats and dogs if you believe it is only down to societal norms.

South Korea still farms dogs for eating if you are interested in trying it for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

_Brian wrote: »

I’d rather that than a lad polling the crap out of them with sticks.

But you might hurt their feelings!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The most surprising aspect of this is that people speak to pigs.

Do they speak back?

• Advertisement

The most surprising aspect of this is that people speak to pigs.

Do they speak back?

ya but they only told porkies

ganmo wrote: »
    Shane McAuliffe is also a qualified vet, so its not just any old kerry farmer

Plus the article linked above details about the UCD professor who is also saying the same thing about students - many who seem to believe being a vet is all about bunnies and bambies...

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/agri-food/ucd-professor-reports-students-mortified-by-farm-visits-38066599.html

"“The aggressive campaigns out there that say ‘clean up your arteries and go vegan’ is what the public is being bombarded with and those signs are on every bus shelter in Dublin. We need to counteract that message."

I love this - being told to eat more vegetables needs to be counteracted!

"“The aggressive campaigns out there that say ‘clean up your arteries and go vegan’ is what the public is being bombarded with and those signs are on every bus shelter in Dublin. We need to counteract that message."

I love this - being told to eat more vegetables needs to be counteracted!
    ya might want to read up on the person who said that before you dismiss it out of hand

"“The aggressive campaigns out there that say ‘clean up your arteries and go vegan’ is what the public is being bombarded with and those signs are on every bus shelter in Dublin. We need to counteract that message."I love this - being told to eat more vegetables needs to be counteracted!

Nice disconnect btw :D

No it's the bs message that all de nasty farmers are abusing and betraying animals. and meat is actually nuclear waste or whatever..

People can eat what they want. They dont need extremist plant food activists sponsored billboards and every other thread telling them that 'meat is baaaaaad'. It would be funny at this stage if it wasn't practically every other day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jmayo wrote: »
    Those would be vets are in for one rude awakening if they ever have to work in a meat factory.

Watch the media now for concerted efforts from some to throw Irish farming under the bus.
    There is already those out moaning that Irish farmers may get something to make up for fact they are are possibly losing a huge chunk of their market due to Brexit.

Then you have the fookers trying to solve our carbon emisions by basically axing the animal herds.
    They will remove the livelihoods of thousands of farmers and thus ending the only real indigenous industry we truly excel at and that we are world leaders.
    And in world terms we are one of the most environmentally friendly at the rearing of animals.

At the same time a lot of these fooking numpties will be jetting off for weekends away, jetting off for post leaving cert or post college exams party weeks in sun-drenched water scare areas.

Maybe people need to be reminded that without all those low tax multinational companies we wouldn't really have a pot to pi** in.
    And as has happened in the past those companies will up sticks and move on when it suits them.
    What a bizarre rant, where did the mnc part come from?

ya might want to read up on the person who said that before you dismiss it out of hand

An author that says admitting you like small animals was like admitting you were gay, when he was in college! Horses and cattle are his specialty, of course he is not going to advocate against the farming industry https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/memories-of-vet-college-are-pure-happiness-recalls-patrick-wall-1.148258

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This Mccauliffe fella is the same guy that had that sensationalist video on meats coming from other countries. Anything he says or does I'd take with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

But your vegan lifestyle allied to your favourite recreational activity has probably played havoc with your eyesight.

Let's give it a try: how many fingers am I holding up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

This Mccauliffe fella is the same guy that had that sensationalist video on meats coming from other countries. Anything he says or does I'd take with a pinch of salt.

Good call! Pig meat tastes far better with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Anything he says or does I'd take with a pinch of salt.

Ham is already salty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

An author that says admitting you like small animals was like admitting you were gay, when he was in college! Horses and cattle are his specialty, of course he is not going to advocate against the farming industry https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/memories-of-vet-college-are-pure-happiness-recalls-patrick-wall-1.148258

He's the CEO of the Food Safety Authority. Nice skimming of the article there.

What a bizarre rant, where did the mnc part come from?

I reckon the comment is actually a perfect foil to the opening gambit of this thread tbh. But there we go...

He's the CEO of the Food Safety Authority. Nice skimming of the article there.

So he has influence in the area of food policy but clearly has a massive bias.

where did you see that? its not in the article you linked - edit:reread it and found it
    full list of specialities are below

He qualified in Veterinary Medicine in University College Dublin http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/,in Human Medicine in Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/, has an MSc in Infectious Diseases from University of London and an MBA from the Michael Smurfit School of Business UCD and a Diploma in Corporate Governance from the UCD Centre of Corporate Governance. He is a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in the UK https://www.rcvs.org.uk/home/ and a Diplomat of the European College of Veterinary Public Health. https://ecvph.org. He is a Fellow of IUFoST, the international Union of Food Science and Technology.
    https://people.ucd.ie/patrick.wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement