Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmer decries "snowflake" veterinary students

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

So he has influence in the area of food policy but clearly has a massive bias.
    bias or knowledge...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Farmers are reminding me of Fundamentalist Christians from ten years ago.

People question some of their nonsense and they get all upity and upset and think their rights are being trampled on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This Mccauliffe fella is the same guy that had that sensationalist video on meats coming from other countries. Anything he says or does I'd take with a pinch of salt.

Argument gone pearshaped? Quick on with some character assassination! :rolleyes:

Or else - discussion? Fuk that! Lets attack a farmer - barstewards!!!!

markodaly wrote: »
    Farmers are reminding me of Fundamentalist Christians from ten years ago.

People question some of their nonsense and they get all upity and upset and think their rights are being trampled on.
    what nonsense are we uppity about in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Question I'd like to know is: were the vets veggie/vegan?

If so, then why did they go to a business where animals are bred for slaughter for work esperience?
    If not, then how are they going to react then the animals are killed?
    The question I'd like to ask is: Did this actually happen? I suspect the answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If this is not an isolated case of students complaining about his animal handling skills, you do have to wonder if students are snowflakes, or if saying it was only shouting was a bit of a lie. One or two, yeah it's probably idiot students, but several makes you think there might be more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There's a difference though between putting an animal down and being injured while being on a farm. Putting it down is most likely in its best interests, to ease suffering for example. Treating an injured farm animal is just prolonging its life before its gratuitous slaughter for food.

Oh completely but also quite upsetting for the vet I would imagine so if they are crying from an animal being shouted at then I would wonder if they are in the right job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

If this is not an isolated case of students complaining about his animal handling skills, you do have to wonder if students are snowflakes, or if saying it was only shouting was a bit of a lie. One or two, yeah it's probably idiot students, but several makes you think there might be more to it.

The article doesn't actually say it occurred on a pig farm belonging to Shane, it actually happened in Cork. So nothing whatsoever to do with him only he seems to be a spokesperson for pig farming in Ireland. Definitely passionate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Excellent
    Now we’re on to imagining worse things the nasty farmer was actually doing but nobody said he was.

Since were making shiit up, I heard Vegans are all “weaklings”

• Advertisement

the "not an isolated incident" refers to farmers refusing to take on vets with no knowledge of farming.
    I know of farmers who took in vet students a few times but stopped fairly quickly

anyone that has ever moved pigs knows that they can be very frustrating and making noise is the best way to get them moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

ganmo wrote: »
    what nonsense are we uppity about in this case?

Well for one millennial's, snowflakes or vegans are attacking rural Ireland and trying to destroy a way of life. Nonsense like that.

Farmers are the biggest moan bags in Ireland yet rural Ireland bleeds the rest of the country dry when it comes to funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh completely but also quite upsetting for the vet I would imagine so if they are crying from an animal being shouted at then I would wonder if they are in the right job.

Agricultural veterinary is a tough station, getting sprayed with sh1t and piss. Real risk of injury, possibility of getting a kicking or a crushing.

Maybe they'd be better off treating kitties and guinea pigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

My god there is some serious misinformation going around here. Apparently shouting at animals is abusive, even though an inspection had to be carried out which they passed no problem.

Another misinformed opinion is that a 'farmer bailout' is on the way. Ah actually no it isn't. That's targeted at beef farmers who were getting better prices for their produce 25 years ago and have been dictated a price set by supermarkets and factories. If your job went back to mid 90s wages, you'd be a bit upset too.

Nothing to do with veganism or people not eating meat. We have new export markets opening all the time. So sorry vegans, it doesn't really fit into your narrative that everybody is seeing the light that meat is bad. Let people make up their own, I have no issue with someone that doesn't eat meat anymore.

Also there are only a few pig operations in the country, as far as I'm aware, they don't get subsidized like other farming enterprises.

People also here continuously saying that these pigs were mistreated by shouting and that farmers don't care about their animals.

If we didn't care about our animals, we wouldn't be farming. The sense on satisfaction I get from seeing a new born calf arrive unassisted is huge for me, when things are going well it's the best job in the world. It's just a pity we don't get a fair price for our produce.

_Brian wrote:
    Excellent Now we’re on to imagining worse things the nasty farmer was actually doing but nobody said he was.

I'm actually basing this on when I was in college, we put in a complaint as a class that led to a lecturer being fired. It was a very serious complaint, and it turns out 3 of the 4 other years put in a complaint too. The lecturer was lucky the worst affected students didn't press further and bring the lecturer to court. Limerick Leader got hold of the story, and twisted it to sound like it was a non-issue and we were all just snowflakes.

I do know that people get the short end of the stick. I work with horses, which sends PETA followers into a tizzy, but I've learned not to fully believe news articles either.

ganmo wrote:
    the "not an isolated incident" refers to farmers refusing to take on vets with no knowledge of farming.

Sorry, I completely misread that so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What a bizarre rant, where did the mnc part come from?

You find that a huge chunk of people in this country today are actually thinking we can do without farming and can seriously curtail it.
    These same ones will probably tell you how agri is now such a small percentage of our exports.
    Hell I even saw a representative body member launch into this spiel when on as a guest panelist on a British current affairs show filmed here in Ireland about effects of Brexit.

Some people believe we are great when in fact most of our export revenue is solely down to FDI and MNCs based here most likely due to tax reasons.
    And which could up sticks in the morning as others have done in the past.

Agri sector can't up sticks and is primarily Irish owned.

And you will often find the numpties that are leading the charge for less meat, get rid of the animals, remove the people from the countryside are the ones working for said MNCs.

I am not allowed discuss …

I'm actually basing this on when I was in college, we put in a complaint as a class that led to a lecturer being fired. It was a very serious complaint, and it turns out 3 of the 4 other years put in a complaint too. The lecturer was lucky the worst affected students didn't press further and bring the lecturer to court. Limerick Leader got hold of the story, and twisted it to sound like it was a non-issue and we were all just snowflakes.

I do know that people get the short end of the stick. I work with horses, which sends PETA followers into a tizzy, but I've learned not to fully believe news articles either.

So again you’ve no evidence just imagining based on some college experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is Pig Whispering a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

endainoz wrote: »
    It's just a pity we don't get a fair price for our produce.

Why do you do it if you can’t make a living from it?

_Brian wrote:
    So again you’ve no evidence just imagining based on some college experience.

Experience with what?

I didn't say it was definitely the case, I meant not to believe it is always just the way the news reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I like vegan snowflakes for the same reason I like the gay lads:
    More for me.

Farmers are the biggest moan bags in Ireland yet rural Ireland bleeds the rest of the country dry when it comes to funding.

A stated before it's amazing how practically everyone of these discussions desends into 'attack de farmer'. Should be charged for promotional space at this stage considering the regularity :pac:

if anyone wants to improve the life of abused neglected animals in Ireland the best place to start is with family pets.
    The numbers of calls the ISPCA deal with for pets is multidudes the numbers of any incidents reported in farm animals. That’s where the animal abuse happens in Ireland.

Again and again people have to be told. Animal farming success is based on the health and welfare of animals, animals that are abused and neglected don’t thrive and don’t have a hope of making any money. Often farmers look after their animals better then themselves.

It’s a complete mistruth that all farmers abuse their animals, in the whole farming is about caring for and nurturing animals to reach their full potential. Saying anything else is just being a liar.

Because of the numbers involved there will always be bad apples, I’ve worked on hundreds of farms in my time and it’s an absolute minority where something wrong is happening and I’ve reported occasional cases where I felt things weren’t right.

But the % of farm animals mistreated is minuscule compared to family pets.

Is Pig Whispering a thing.

Never heard ours whisper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nope people like to talk about these non existent vegans going around telling everyone they’re vegan but from what I can see it’s snowflake meat eaters scared of change making all the noise

https://www.google.com/search?q=vegans+invade+restaurant&rlz=1C1GCEU_enIE821IE821&oq=vegans+invade+&aqs=chrome.3.0j69i57j0l4.4191j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

gozunda wrote: »
    A stated before it's amazing how practically everyone of these discussions desends into 'attack de farmer'. Should be charged for promotional space at this stage considering the regularity :pac:

Why do you do this de farmer bastewards thing? Why not just type real words?

These cowards in Waterford outside a butcher shop.
    They were intimidating elderly ladies in doing their shopping.

Nothing but cowards hiding their faces through shame .

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/waterford-butcher-hits-back-at-intimidating-vegan-protest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

A friend of mine studied to be a vet 20 years ago. He mentioned how lecturers were complaining people choose to study veterinary because they like nice little fluffy animals and are completely unprepared for what being a vet entails.

As for vegans, I was having a dinner in a restaurant recently. The only person whose wood choices the whole restaurant heard was a vegan. We all found about 30 seconds after they arrived when waitress was handing them a menu. It was funny because he was talking a lot louder than the other two at the same table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Why do you do it if you can’t make a living from it?

At times this can be a difficult question to answer, so many say that it's not worth it and to get out of it etc. But the short answer is because most of us love doing it, job satisfaction is important to me. I'm happy to live in the country not in a city paying crazy rent, I'm happy to work outside and not be stuck in an unhealthy office, I'm also happy to see birds tweeting first sign of spring, to see bees flying around the place this time of year.

I'd take all that over an office job any day. That being said, most of us have to get a separate job to compliment income.

Well for one millennial's, snowflakes or vegans are attacking rural Ireland and trying to destroy a way of life. Nonsense like that.

Would you rather rural Ireland be turned into ranch type farming, or a depopulated wasteland? Or a theme park with thatched cottages for the enjoyment of city folks? Would you rather your food be shipped in from Brazil or Israel ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I'm surprised it took so long for this to become an issue. A vet friend with over forty years' experience told me that it is becoming increasingly difficult to source vets to do farm work and almost impossible to get vets to do abattoir work. The reason being that most vet students enrol with a plan to do small animal practice. Plus, most vet graduates these days are women and they don't want the heavy lifting of farm veterinary and certainly don't want abattoir work. Check your local small animal veterinary clinic. Mine has five vets in the practice - all women. A similar problem exists in human medicine. Most graduates are women and not enough of them go on to become surgeons or consultants. The root of both of these problems lies in our second level system where girls score better in the Leaving Cert. Because most boys mature mentally later than girls, it is often only after the Leaving Cert that they realise that they should have worked harder in school. Perhaps the solution would be to create more post-grad and mature student places in veterinary and Medical colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

_Brian wrote: »
    Raising your voice and creating a commotion is a great way to move them along without having to interfere with them physically.
    What ever could you mean? Making noise never work for herding anim....

do-dogs-automatically-know-how-to-herd0.jpg

...oh.

Would you rather rural Ireland be turned into ranch type farming, or a depopulated wasteland? Or a theme park with thatched cottages for the enjoyment of city folks? Would you rather your food be shipped in from Brazil or Israel ?

Maybe somewhere that mostly makes food to feed it’s population and doesn’t export the vast majority of its beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Approximately 90% of beef produced in Ireland is exported so we are either producing far in excess of our needs or else importing more than you are having us believe.

The alternative is not for rural wastelands but for crops including vegetables, wheat etc and, where I see the biggest opportunity in the short to medium term, cannibas.

The argument about ethical versus less ethical rearing of farmed animals is somewhat irrelevant as the animal ends up being slaughtered anyway just to eat it.

The argument about ethical versus less ethical rearing of farmed animals is somewhat irrelevant as the animal ends up being slaughtered anyway just to eat it.

Nothing wrong with slaughter of animals for eating.
    What, would you have us eat them alive ?

Your a total Monster!

Approximately 90% of beef produced in Ireland is exported so we are either producing far in excess of our needs or else importing more than you are having us believe.

The alternative is not for rural wastelands but for crops including vegetables, wheat etc and, where I see the biggest opportunity in the short to medium term, cannibas.

A vegetables are only suited to certain soil types and geographys, like beside the sea to avoid frosts
    b wheat doesn't grow well in ireland due to our damp climate
    c Cannibis is currently illeagal to grow and what would we do if we did grown it? exporting is frowned upon it seems
    d guess what does grow well grass!!

but I feel we're getting off topic from snowflake vets

Maybe somewhere that mostly makes food to feed it’s population and doesn’t export the vast majority of its beef.

Why not.
    Intel export 100% of what they make, get plenty of government subsidies, heck the government even tried to steal land from a farmer to give them.

Beef is a good product to export, not live export though we should process 100% and export as sides of beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

endainoz wrote: »
    If we didn't care about our animals, we wouldn't be farming. The sense on satisfaction I get from seeing a new born calf arrive unassisted is huge for me, when things are going well it's the best job in the world. It's just a pity we don't get a fair price for our produce.

I know a few farmers, I've worked on farms and I can safely say, that's bollocks. Fair enough if you want to speak for yourself, but a lot of farmers see their animals as assets and that's it. Birth going well or an animal getting sick isn't amazing because it's easier on the animal, it's great cos it won't cost more money. Nothing wrong with that imho, but don't pretend you're in it for the animals

ganmo wrote: »
    A vegetables are only suited to certain soil types and geographys, like beside the sea to avoid frosts
    b wheat doesn't grow well in ireland due to our damp climate
    c Cannibis is currently illeagal to grow and what would we do if we did grown it? exporting is frowned upon it seems
    d guess what does grow well grass!!

but I feel we're getting off topic from snowflake vets

Lads like Assetbacked on this thread have a little herb garden, some potted cacti and a lawn and they're experts on tillage all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

I could ****ing murder some sausages right now.

I live in Canada, and have lived in Australia and the US too. Food produce in Ireland is generally so much better than these countries, and usually far better priced as well. That's not just me talking, it's the opinion of many Aussies/Yanks/Canadians that has come over to Ireland while I was back too. They genuinely place the quality of our produce up there with Spain and Italy.

There is also a fairly strong sense of connection (relatively speaking) between our rural and urban areas, and while being far smaller geographically than those countries helps a lot I think much of it has to do with the fact that by and large, the people are satisfied with the farmers and the farmers are satisfied with the people.

I have some complaints about Ireland, but food and farming definitely are not amongst them. There is an excellent set up in this regard, and while tweaking as needed here or there, it would be incredibly foolish to call for any overhaul.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the lowest price supermarket so I can buy a substandard 250ml carton of cream for $6/€4 to go with these red coloured balls of water they call tomatoes over here. I would like to add some cream cheese and sour cream to the shopping list, but I've not got the $15 (€11ish) a small tub of each would set me back handy before pay day. Butter too, but you know, I've got rent to pay... :(

Billy86 wrote: »
    What ever could you mean? Making noise never work for herding anim....

do-dogs-automatically-know-how-to-herd0.jpg

...oh.

Because pigs are the exact same things as sheep, and of course they have "pigdogs" to herd pigs.

I believe our German friends call them Schweinhunds..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jmayo wrote: »
    You find that a huge chunk of people in this country today are actually thinking we can do without farming and can seriously curtail it.
    These same ones will probably tell you how agri is now such a small percentage of our exports.
    Hell I even saw a representative body member launch into this spiel when on as a guest panelist on a British current affairs show filmed here in Ireland about effects of Brexit.

Some people believe we are great when in fact most of our export revenue is solely down to FDI and MNCs based here most likely due to tax reasons.
    And which could up sticks in the morning as others have done in the past.

Agri sector can't up sticks and is primarily Irish owned.

And you will often find the numpties that are leading the charge for less meat, get rid of the animals, remove the people from the countryside are the ones working for said MNCs.

Ah I get you now.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I know a few farmers, I've worked on farms and I can safely say, that's bollocks. Fair enough if you want to speak for yourself, but a lot of farmers see their animals as assets and that's it. Birth going well or an animal getting sick isn't amazing because it's easier on the animal, it's great cos it won't cost more money. Nothing wrong with that imho, but don't pretend you're in it for the animals

And I would say for the majority of farmers in this country - you're account is "bollocks"

"I know a few farmers"? maybe you do but you certainly don't know the majority of them imo. But hey don't let that stop you going for the ol' generalisations :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yes, you often see omnivores in vegan/vegetarian restaurants causing a scene and trying to put people off their tofu.

If that's a dig at me I have already said I didn't know Cornucopia was a vegetarian restaurant and so asking them could I have steak with some of their salads was a genuine question on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is it a lack of maturity or what?

You have to grow up eventually and realise that the world can be a cruel hard place and dreadful things will happen to you in your life. It's how you deal with adversity that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

jmayo wrote: »
    Those would be vets are in for one rude awakening if they ever have to work in a meat factory.

Watch the media now for concerted efforts from some to throw Irish farming under the bus.
    There is already those out moaning that Irish farmers may get something to make up for fact they are are possibly losing a huge chunk of their market due to Brexit.

Then you have the fookers trying to solve our carbon emisions by basically axing the animal herds.
    They will remove the livelihoods of thousands of farmers and thus ending the only real indigenous industry we truly excel at and that we are world leaders.
    And in world terms we are one of the most environmentally friendly at the rearing of animals.

At the same time a lot of these fooking numpties will be jetting off for weekends away, jetting off for post leaving cert or post college exams party weeks in sun-drenched water scare areas.

Maybe people need to be reminded that without all those low tax multinational companies we wouldn't really have a pot to pi** in.
    And as has happened in the past those companies will up sticks and move on when it suits them.

That is of course, if the students actually exist.

So we have is one unnamed farm with unnamed students reported in the independent, need I say more?

Because pigs are the exact same things as sheep and of course they have "pigdogs" to herd pigs.

I believe our German friends call them Schweinhunds..
    Ask and you shall receive...

And this one for the craic...

Cienciano wrote: »

Being glad your not spending a load of money with the vet doesn’t exclude being delighted that an animal has recovered or that a cow has calves unassisted.

Farming is a complex mix of business lifestyle community and family life, I honestly think non farmers just can’t get it, not don’t get it but can’t, because it’s not what they’ve known all their life.
    You don’t see bob from the petrol station call in to the hardware shop and give them a dog out when they are very busy because he knows it’s the right thing to do, yet farmers do this all the time for no pay, it’s part of the ethos and community of farming.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ask and you shall receive...

And this one for the craic...

Novelty YouTube clips for entertainment purposes.
    You could probably find mongooses herding llamas but it doesn't make it a practical solution.

Congrats, you can Google things, and for your next trick?

• Advertisement
Advertisement