Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmer decries "snowflake" veterinary students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think if you only spend a few days on a farm, especially for the very first time in your life, you will probably see farm practices as harsh and unnecessary. Spend a year there and learn all aspects of farming 24 hours 365 days (as opposed to 9 to 5 all nice and clean and tidy)and you'll understand why things are done the way they are, what works and what doesn't. Multiply that by years and years and you'll really know your stuff. There are also occasions when a fresh pair of eyes may suggest a few good innovations and that's a good thing too.
    But most vets now want to deal with cute dogs and cats and fluffy bunnies. I'm not so sure it's animals they love so much as a tiny cohort of animals that accommodate an easy lifestyle. Heaven forbid that a vet of all things with all that animal medicine training would have to go to a mucky farm at four in the morning in the middle of winter to help an animal.

I don’t think this is really a fair comment on the vets. Being a vet is a huge commitment in terms of lifestyle and hours. There is a huge level of responsibility in treating people’s pets so I don’t it’s fair to downplay the level of commitment involved. People love their pets like family, that alone is a lot of pressure.

We have only heard one side of the story from the farmer. I’ve never worked on a farm but do understand that things need to be done in a certain way especially for safety dealing with large animals. However, it sounds like the vets reported the something that they may have had real concerns about.

If it is reported and followed up and everything was ok I don’t see the problem.

Has you seen the video of the treatment of young calves that were live exported from Ireland recently? It was very disturbing to watch and the way the animals were treated was abusive and completely unnecessary.

I’m not saying that is what was happening at the pig farm but perhaps the vets had genuine concerns and felt they needed to be raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I don’t think this is really a fair comment on the vets. Being a vet is a huge commitment in terms of lifestyle and hours. There is a huge level of responsibility in treating people’s pets so I don’t it’s fair to downplay the level of commitment involved. People love their pets like family, that alone is a lot of pressure.

We have only heard one side of the story from the farmer. I’ve never worked on a farm but do understand that things need to be done in a certain way especially for safety dealing with large animals. However, it sounds like the vets reported the something that they may have had real concerns about.

If it is reported and followed up and everything was ok I don’t see the problem.

Has you seen the video of the treatment of young calves that were live exported from Ireland recently? It was very disturbing to watch and the way the animals were treated was abusive and completely unnecessary.

I’m not saying that is what was happening at the pig farm but perhaps the vets had genuine concerns and felt they needed to be raised.

That was a French lairage worker who has since been sacked and charged for what he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe its is something to do with Noel Fitzpatrick.

http://www.noelfitzpatrick.vet/

They may have developed the totaly wrong idea of what working with animals is really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yeah that's right, they protest every day of the week, don't they? Bless their little cotton socks.

Well its a day off for someone, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The job of a vet is to look after people's pets and working animals. I am not downplaying any vets commitment to their work. Just saying city vets have the more sanitised area of vet practice. It's not like country vets haven't the pressure of keeping a valuable animal alive or telling a farmer some of his animals failed a test knowing what that means and entails for the farmer as well as that same vet treating other peoples' family pets also. I'm sure vets working with farmers often have to act almost as counsellor for farmers at the end of their tether. So if your city vet has pressure. the country vet has double pressure as well as four in the morning visits to farms night after night.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Maybe its is something to do with Noel Fitzpatrick.

http://www.noelfitzpatrick.vet/

They may have developed the totaly wrong idea of what working with animals is really like.
    Do they not have to have had some work experience with large animals before even doing their leaving cert? Local girl in 6th year did 2 weeks at Easter on a neighbours dairy farm as far as I was concerned it was mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think it must be a real pain for quite a few trainee vets to have to bother at all with the part of the course that deals with big farm animals, knowing full well they will never be within a mile of a cow's backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yes the French thing was an aberration. Glad he was sacked.

Mistreatment of live-export animals sent OUT of the EU territories however can be extensive. Fíorscéal on TG4 had an exposé of it a few weeks back. Not an easy watch. Awfully unnecessary suffering. I am a keen meat eater but the goings on in Turkey and middle-east was abject cruelty. I can only conclude that some sick puppies work in the business in these lands. Attempts to insist on EU standards up to slaughter point were resisted at every turn. Not good enough.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think it must be a real pain for quite a few trainee vets to have to bother at all with the part of the course that deals with big farm animals, knowing full well they will never be within a mile of a cow's backside.

Vice versa though for those who have to deal with cats and dogs and want to work with large animals. The main problem I see with young vets - I'm a dairy farmer - is they are sent out on their own on call outs with out enough practical experience. I hae had vets ask me what do I think is wrong with an animal. Or I had to get the vein on a cow for 1 vet as she couldnt. Another didn't even bother to take the animals temperature but was filling syringes of drugs before she even left her car. Look we all have to learn somewhere but charging full whack for a rookie service bug's me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gozunda wrote: »
    Funny, I'm hearing the odd plant food activist spouting anti-animal farming nonsense and whining about farmers receiving subsidies and god knows what. Tbh they ought to be thanking their lucky stars that lots of sectors recieve subsidies because there is no way it would be possible to sustain the level of funding that Irish industry, employees and infrastructure etc etc receive from various sources without subsidies. But hey don't let any of that stop the ranting

And the same muppets never consider the fact that all the great lovely MNCs sited here are affectively subsidised by the taxpayers of other countries.
    markodaly wrote: »
    Well its a day off for someone, isn't it.

Except cows don't take a day off from milking or eating for that matter like all the other animals on farms.
    And if you have to get cover in that can cost money that most farmers are not flush with.

You may not know much about farming, but by god I reckon you are an expert on bullshyt*.

Danzy wrote: »
    I had one come out, patting a 740kg bullock on the head before starting to climb in behind it, after I had already told them the animal was volatile.

If she had gone in ahe would have been kicked to pieces.

A good vet all the same but needs to wise up if she wants to make 25.
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Vice versa though for those who have to deal with cats and dogs and want to work with large animals. The main problem I see with young vets - I'm a dairy farmer - is they are sent out on their own on call outs with out enough practical experience. I hae had vets ask me what do I think is wrong with an animal. Or I had to get the vein on a cow for 1 vet as she couldnt. Another didn't even bother to take the animals temperature but was filling syringes of drugs before she even left her car. Look we all have to learn somewhere but charging full whack for a rookie service bug's me

I think both of you highlighted a problem with the whole veterinary industry for the last number of years.

Like a couple of more professions you now have a majority number being female.
    And a lot of them do not want anything to do with large animals and have possibly come into the profession thinking of dealing with cuddly family pets rather than farm animals.
    And some do not have the physicality to deal with large farm animals.

I am not allowed discuss …

In fairness though there are some fantastic female vets.... Isn't there a higher rate of female vet students to male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

jmayo wrote: »
    And the same muppets never consider the fact that all the great lovely MNCs sited here are affectively subsidised by the taxpayers of other countries.

Except cows don't take a day off from milking or eating for that matter like all the other animals on farms.
    And if you have to get cover in that can cost money that most farmers are not flush with.

You may not know much about farming, but by god I reckon you are an expert on bullshyt*.

I think both of you highlighted a problem with the whole veterinary industry for the last number of years.

And a lot of them do not want anything to do with large animals and have possibly come into the profession thinking of dealing with cuddly family pets rather than farm animals.

Its not all physical stature either, the lady that comes here is small but a cracking way with large animals. Only time she ever asked for help was putting back a calfbed, she couldnt reach just far enough.

Having an understanding, a good temperment and confidence round large animals goes a long long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

jmayo wrote: »

No, this vet is happy working with big animals but is not farm animal aware.

It is a disconnect from the land I guess.

Not frightened or unhappy at getting stuck in but not respecting the sheer lethality and bat **** crazy that some represent.

They'll bend a gate with a kick.

As someone said about strength, what use is brute strength against 3/4 tonne of limousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

whelan2 wrote: »
    That was a French lairage worker who has since been sacked and charged for what he did

Yes, I do understand that he was sacked and charged. My point is this came to light because someone observed it and reported it. It was investigated and person was charged.

I’m not saying the farmer on the pig farm did something as cruel as this. However, we only got the farmers side of the story here. If the vets reported something I think it’s good for it to followed up to be checked in the interest of the animals. Hopefully the dep of Ag found everything ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Part of being accepted to vet courses should be a week observing a factory kill line. If they can’t hack that, they won’t make it. There’s a certain amount of string stomach absolutely needed for veterinary which generation snowflake is missing. If they want to cuddle puppies all day, they need to be dog groomers not vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes, I do understand that he was sacked and charged. My point is this came to light because someone observed it and reported it. It was investigated and person was charged.

I’m not saying the farmer on the pig farm did something as cruel as this. However, we only got the farmers side of the story here. If the vets reported something I think it’s good for it to followed up to be checked in the interest of the animals. Hopefully the dep of Ag found everything ok

I get what you are saying but as a previous poster detailed - there was a similar article a while back from a professor in UCD who was tearing his hair out over similar snowflakery antics from many of his veterinary students. It does seem to be a departure from vets who come from a background where they are familiar with bigger animals - whether horses, sheep or cows and some of the younger generations who have no exposure to farm animals at all and find processes such as calving and normal farm operations like herding animals totally alien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Don't need any "education" from a smartarse Dub.
    :pac:

You sound irritated about having to be educated in animals and farming by a fecking Dub of all things. If keeping yourself uneducated on it makes you feel better, then go ahead and have at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"We put the two students in boots and they went working in the shed. Later that day they came back crying as they didn't like the way one of our workers was shouting at the pigs when moving them," he said. "They never came back, and reported us to the Department of Agriculture.
    See you next Tuesday's!

=-=

Some of them would probably have an issue with young bulls getting shocked by an electric fence. I can guarantee if there was no electric fence keeping the bulls back, they wouldn't have an issue with the bulls roaming about.

Because they'd be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Ye think that's bad we had a horticultural student who feared pruning a hedge because supposedly plants give off emotional vibrations...

What a spastic...

I fckng kid ye not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

If they are crying over shouting at pigs then god help them when they have to be pulling calves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Billy86 wrote: »

You sound irritated about having to be educated in animals and farming by a fecking Dub of all things. If keeping yourself uneducated on it makes you feel better, then go ahead and have at it.

Let me know how that degree course in watching YouTube clips goes.

Let me know how that degree course in watching YouTube clips goes.
    Nothing to say about the other sources provided, including other farmers who clearly know more than you do about herding and even use their dogs to herd the likes of pigs on occasion?

Nah I thought not. But like I said, if keeping yourself uneducated is your thing, you have at it. You'll continue to make an eejit of yourself but that's your decision. :)

Nothing to say about the other sources provided, including other farmers who clearly know more than you do about herding and even use their dogs to herd the likes of pigs on occasion?

Nah I thought not. But like I said, if keeping yourself uneducated is your thing, you have at it. You'll continue to make an eejit of yourself but that's your decision. :)

If surfing for tid bits of info that gives you amusement constitutes education, knock yourself out buddy. I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Ye think that's bad we had a horticultural student who feared pruning a hedge because supposedly plants give off emotional vibrations...

What a spastic...

I fckng kid ye not.

A woman from somewhere in Dublin moved here a number of years ago and got some ponies to graze the field that she bought with the house. She won't use an electric fence because she believes it might 'hurt' them and wouldn't castrate the stallion because it wouldn't be a 'nice' thing to do . The ponies spend more of their time in other peoples fields because they don't have enough grazing and the stallion had to be beaten off with a shovel after it attacked an elderly man on the road...

Disney has a lot to answer for tbh ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

gozunda wrote:
    A woman from somewhere in Dublin moved here a number of years ago and got some ponies to graze the field that she bought with the house. She won't use an electric fence because it might hurt them and wouldn't castrate the stallion because it wouldn't be a 'nice' thing to do . The ponies spend more of their time in other peoples fields because they don't have enough grazing and the stallion had to be beaten off with a shovel after it attacked an elderly man on the road...

Jaysus, it's lucky that man is alive! I hate the suing culture but I would fully support it in this case. A fence doesn't need to be electric, but it does need to be good!

Maybe it’s tome for different options in veterinary training.

There must be an option for people who want to be small animal vets, it makes sense in my mind.
    Then there could be a general veterinary course covering all animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

screamer wrote: »
    Part of being accepted to vet courses should be a week observing a factory kill line. If they can’t hack that, they won’t make it. There’s a certain amount of string stomach absolutely needed for veterinary which generation snowflake is missing. If they want to cuddle puppies all day, they need to be dog groomers not vets.

There is nothing like watching a dead calf being cut up inside the cow and brought out in pieces to make one appreciate that it isn't all fragrant puppy farts on the farm.

Danzy wrote: »
    There is nothing like watching a dead calf being cut up inside the cow and brought out in pieces to make one appreciate that it isn't all fragrant puppy farts on the farm.
    Vet students study anatomy from Week 1 of their training, dissecting greyhounds and horses, pigs and sheep... I have never in my life encountered a squeamish vet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe it’s tome for different options in veterinary training.

There must be an option for people who want to be small animal vets, it makes sense in my mind.
    Then there could be a general veterinary course covering all animals.

Vets have a social responsibility to be trained, experienced, and proficient in the care and treatment of all animals, not just the ones they "like"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Vet students study anatomy from Week 1 of their training, dissecting greyhounds and horses, pigs and sheep... I have never in my life encountered a squeamish vet.

Yes of course you didn’t because those are the tough ones that made it through to be fully qualified. These ones are students.....

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Yes of course you didn’t because those are the tough ones that made it through to be fully qualified. These ones are students.....
    You said "Part of being accepted to vet courses should be a week observing a factory kill line. If they can’t hack that, they won’t make it."

I'm just saying, vets are exposed to death, dissection and slaughter from the very beginning of their training. I don't think it's necessary to send off to a factory every leaving cert student who wants to be a vet. There must be thousands of those. Just seems like an OTT exercise when vet students are immersed in it anyway from the beginning, and they'll know in the first week if they can't hack it; enough time for the place to go to another student.

Is this even a problem? What's with the sudden antipathy to vets, based on the word of one farmer, ranting about a few students?

I'm quite surprised there are no vets on boards.ie, or so it seems. There are about 2,000 of them in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You said "Part of being accepted to vet courses should be a week observing a factory kill line. If they can’t hack that, they won’t make it."

I'm just saying, vets are exposed to death, dissection and slaughter from the very beginning of their training. I don't think it's necessary to send off to a factory every leaving cert student who wants to be a vet. There must be thousands of those. Just seems like an OTT exercise when vet students are immersed in it anyway from the beginning, and they'll know in the first week if they can't hack it; enough time for the place to go to another student.

Is this even a problem? What's with the sudden antipathy to vets, based on the word of one farmer, ranting about a few students?

I'm quite surprised there are no vets on boards.ie, or so it seems. There are about 2,000 of them in the country

There's definitely 3, possibly four that I know of which post here. And probably more than that which just haven't disclosed it.

I just find it very surprising that these students wouldn't have the common sense to accept a bit of shouting can & will go on when working with animals.
    Of course there's good vets & bad vets, though thankfully in my experience the former far outweighs the latter. The bad vet I know couldn't give a toss about animals, is book learned & smart. But just has no passion for the job. He's in, out, does the bare minimum, lets the lackey farmer do all the donkey work while he farts about, then dumps all his thrash on the ground where he stands before he goes. The good vet clearly loves his job, will text me about stock or answer questions, will call in to see how an animal got on after treatment. Goes out of his way to actively try his best.
    Both of these lads grew up local in farming families yet have different approaches because of their mindset towards the job.
    So these students who are finding a bit of shouting tough going, what are they going to be like when they actually get into the nitty gritty tough stuff. :pac:

If surfing for tid bits of info that gives you amusement constitutes education, knock yourself out buddy. I couldn't care less.
    Except you clearly do, which is why you tried to mock me initially for pointing out that animals do respond to sound and that many can indeed be herded. That is how this whole exchange began.

Turns out I was right, you were wrong, and you needed to be taught a lesson about animals and herdings by a Dubliner of all people. That's really all there is to it. Carry on with your day, and next time you want to be condescending about something, just try not to be ignorant and wrong about it; you'll make less of an eejit of yourself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"You're going nowhere with a glove that small"

Except you clearly do, which is why you tried to mock me initially for pointing out that animals do respond to sound and that many can indeed be herded. That is how this whole exchange began.

Turns out I was right, you were wrong, and you needed to be taught a lesson about animals and herdings by a Dubliner of all people. That's really all there is to it. Carry on with your day, and next time you want to be condescending about something, just try not to be ignorant and wrong about it; you'll make less of an eejit of yourself. :)

Whatever biy.
    Clearly rattled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I'm quite surprised there are no vets on boards.ie, or so it seems. There are about 2,000 of them in the country.

As far as I am aware there is one on the farming forum, all the talk of vet students making it in practice, the most important thing any vet requires is communication skills and how to impart knowledge sadly that is missing in young vets today who are only interested in small animal practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

There's definitely 3, possibly four that I know of which post here. And probably more than that which just haven't disclosed it.

I just find it very surprising that these students wouldn't have the common sense to accept a bit of shouting can & will go on when working with animals.
    Of course there's good vets & bad vets, though thankfully in my experience the former far outweighs the latter. The bad vet I know couldn't give a toss about animals, is book learned & smart. But just has no passion for the job. He's in, out, does the bare minimum, lets the lackey farmer do all the donkey work while he farts about, then dumps all his thrash on the ground where he stands before he goes. The good vet clearly loves his job, will text me about stock or answer questions, will call in to see how an animal got on after treatment. Goes out of his way to actively try his best.
    Both of these lads grew up local in farming families yet have different approaches because of their mindset towards the job.
    So these students who are finding a bit of shouting tough going, what are they going to be like when they actually get into the nitty gritty tough stuff. :pac:

Very true post and the same here with our practice, the original vet who started the practice and still going at 72. Has great way with everyone and is so well read and updated procedures and as he says ring night or day and he will try answer any question. The one great thing he makes time for every customer and knows everything about them and their family.The guy that as took over part of the practice is like you describe and is known as doctor death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Shane and his family are publicity whores to be fair. There have been some unsavoury incidents in their past...

Doesn't make them wrong in this case though.

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    Vets have a social responsibility to be trained, experienced, and proficient in the care and treatment of all animals, not just the ones they "like"

I call rubbish on that..
    Ireland has a big enough population now to cater for specalists in either small animal veterinary or general veterinary.. I don't want someone coming out here that really only wants to treat cats and hamsters rather than 500kg cattle. People are always better doing something they have a passion for, that could easily be accommodated.

I call rubbish on that..
    Ireland has a big enough population now to cater for specalists in either small animal veterinary or general veterinary.. I don't want someone coming out here that really only wants to treat cats and hamsters rather than 500kg cattle. People are always better doing something they have a passion for, that could easily be accommodated.
    Ireland only has 2.5k vets, and many of our vets are emigrating.

My sister is a vet practicing in a medium-sized town; she needs work from both small-animal and large-animal clients, or the firm would fold. I think they take the approach that 'a system is a system', whether you're talking about the circulatory systems of hamsters or of cattle. I wish some actual vets would contribute to this thread, because it's quite an interesting discussion.

By the way, the money that vets make is shockingly bad. Another sibling is a teacher and she comes away with a bigger pay package than the vet wan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There's a difference though between putting an animal down and being injured while being on a farm. Putting it down is most likely in its best interests, to ease suffering for example. Treating an injured farm animal is just prolonging its life before its gratuitous slaughter for food.

Your post is pure nonsense, what sort of injuries are you referring to that the animal continues to live in pain?

Ireland only has 2.5k vets, and many of our vets are emigrating.

My sister is a vet practicing in a medium-sized town; she needs work from both small-animal and large-animal clients, or the firm would fold. I think they take the approach that 'a system is a system', whether you're talking about the circulatory systems of hamsters or of cattle. I wish some actual vets would contribute to this thread, because it's quite an interesting discussion.

By the way, the money that vets make is shockingly bad. Another sibling is a teacher and she comes away with a bigger pay package than the vet wan.

I don’t really care what they earn.

Any that come here are hard working and great with stock, but from chatting to them I really don’t ever remember any of them from
    Non farming backgrounds, maybe that’s a reflection of who the practice hires.

Interesting I find the practice owner the worst of the vets that come out, he would be poor enough rated locally but has calracking vets working for him.

I don’t really care what they earn.
    Jesus, really?

I do. I'm miles less intelligent than my sibling, and if you offered me her salary, I'd make minimal effort in my job. Whether we like it or not, performance and pay are related. It's no wonder so many vets are choosing to emigrate, or work in industry, or do (relatively lucrative) factory work instead of focusing entirely on ordinary practice.

I don't think my sis would survive in business without factory work, and this is an agricultural area. You'd have to be blind not to believe that's a problem. just as farmers' incomes are a problem at the moment.

Practices are relying on young vets with low experience, and low wage expectations, and this leads to precisely the problem you've described.

It's an issue picking up steam in the UK especially with Brexit looming, they can't get enough vets for the agriculture sector, they all want to deal with pets.
    Would you blame them. Most vets care about animals. Farmers don’t.

Complete and total nonsense. In fact a vet is less likely to care about a sick animal once they are gone outside the gate, I've yet to come across a vet that will ring back to see how a sick animal they treated is doing.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Complete and total nonsense. In fact a vet is less likely to care about a sick animal once they are gone outside the gate, I've yet to come across a vet that will ring back to see how a sick animal they treated is doing.
    Probably because they're busy with another client, or another TB re-test. Who cares?

Whatever about vet students, farmers aren't snowflakes. They don't expect midnight sympathy calls from vets, fretting over Cow #361 and how's her mastitis?

Farmers have a lot of cop-on that way.

Probably because they're busy with another client, or another TB re-test. Who cares?

Whatever about vet students, farmers aren't snowflakes. They don't expect midnight sympathy calls from vets, fretting over Cow #361 and how's her mastitis?

Farmers have a lot of cop-on that way.
    You obviously took my post too seriously, I was calling out the nonsense for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Your post is pure nonsense, what sort of injuries are you referring to that the animal continues to live in pain?

Getting hit by a car and being alive but brain damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On the original story - it really is a one sided affair.

Shock horror - some students are "idiots", "morons".

This has always been the way and it's the risk you take if you take on students for work experience.

Of course were this story told from the student viewpoint (I mean students in general not just the ones referred to in story) I'm sure one would have a plausible story about how some farmers are morons.

Getting hit by a car and being alive but brain damaged.

Would being brain dead would kinda stop you feeling anything. That’s the problem with being brain dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement