Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Debit Card

• 16-05-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I’ve been looking into getting an An Post debit card and it’s looking like a good alternative to Ulster Bank.
    €5 monthly fees (there are other fees but I reckon I could avoid them for the most part https://www.anpost.com/Money/Current-Account/Fees). I had a read of their T&Cs and it looks grand.

Also they offer money back on shopping at certain stores (Lidl being one) which is also a bonus.

There’s no overdraft facilities which is fine by me and to be honest I love using my local post office - the staff are lovely and I love all the facilities they offer and I like supporting them.
    I read most of the ‘Ulster Bank fees’ thread and didn’t see many people mentioning An Post nor did I find any threads about this current account.

What do people think? Has anyone got an account with them?
    I am also looking into a combination of Credit Union current account & maybe a Revolut card. But the An Post card is looking tempting. Any potential drawbacks?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I would keep away from this account unless you do a massive amount off shopping in Lidl and will make up the €5 fee.

I would open a EBS Money Manager a/c and get Revolut and keep topping up Revolut and use the Revolut card for day to day stuff.

EBS can do your direct debits and standing orders.

Nobody should be paying for Banking when you still have FREE options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

60c ATM fee
    50c lodgement fee

On top of the €5 monthly fee.

And how mean is the 5c SMS fee (must be for 2FA etc)

Poor value unless you do enough shopping at Lidl to recoup the fees.

AFAIK it's just a rebrand of the Smart Current account, threads here...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105147070
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104084116

EBS and Credit Union are free bricks & mortar options.
    Online: Revolut and N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Thanks for the warnings. It looks dodgy so. :(

The thing that puts me off about Revolut is that it’s a credit card. I am currently paying off my current credit card to close the account. I would prefer a debit card to use for day to day spending.
    I want to use my Credit Union account as my current account as they charge no fees (for now).

Will look into EBS. Thanks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

The thing that puts me off about Revolut is that it’s a credit card. I am currently paying off my current credit card to close the account. I would prefer a debit card to use for day to day spending.
    I want to use my Credit Union account as my current account as they charge no fees (for now).

Revolut isn't a credit card. It's a prepaid debit card that you top up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Revolut is a debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Oh I thought it was a prepaid credit card. The MasterCard symbol threw me off! I’ve been using Visa Debit for years and hadn’t realized MasterCard also had a debit card version.
    That’s good news and it’s also contactless. Looks like it’s Revolut for me so! Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

PM if you want a link for free debit card delivery with Revolut (or if you’ve already signed up, wait a week or two and it’ll offer you to post the card for free)

Advertisement