Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Child Social Housing Rights

Options
  • 16-05-2019 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hey,

I am living with my parents at a social house, when they applied for the social house I was young and I don't remember the details but I think they put my name down for the application. Now my father wants me to move out, but due to difficult housing situation and because I haven't done anything wrong I don't want to move out. I did not sign any agreement with the council only my father & my mother. Does anyone knows what right I have as an adult child in this social house and does he have the right to remove me without any reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi

your not one of the named co-tenants, and you have not explicit right to live there. in social housing you are assessed based on the no of people living there and their incomes. so that's why they know about you, but it doesn't give you any specific rights.

Its your parents house, and if they want you to move out, guess what, you should start saving your deposit and rent. He is within his rights to ask you to move out; he doesn't need a reason. He doesn't have to give you time to get your **** together, and if he is affording you time to do so, then you should appreciate that.

I find you attitude to be very questionable in the brief paragraph above. Family dynamics aside, you are an adult, time to cut the apron strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dawido wrote:
    I am living with my parents at a social house, when they applied for the social house I was young and I don't remember the details but I think they put my name down for the application. Now my father wants me to move out, but due to difficult housing situation and because I haven't done anything wrong I don't want to move out. I did not sign any agreement with the council only my father & my mother. Does anyone knows what right I have as an adult child in this social house and does he have the right to remove me without any reason?

Your parents are the tenants not you. You have no rights time to look for your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Your no longer a child both legally, physically and mentally. Im not sure the reasons why your parents want you out(it really doesnt matter in any case), you will need to find a place to rent.

Try daft house sharing to see what you can get.

Your parents might have the best intentions at heart if you still in your teens early 20’s. Sometimes a young adult might need a nudge in the right direction so try not to having a falling out over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Yeah, either this guy is a compulsive liar or he is a sponge, apparently has a wife, earns 32k a year with a new job offer of 42k, 15k in savings... still lives at home and complains about being asked to move out? Grow up man, start being an adult, you went through 4 years of college so its not like your that young, min 21/22, I have lived on my own since 17, with fiance since 21, now 25. It can be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Dawido wrote: »

Hey,

Applicants for social housing must include the name and PPS of everyone who will live in the home on the application form. That's why your parents would have included your details on the form. However, that doesn't give you any right of residence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you have been instructed that you are to leave the country- and haven't already done so- surely this is your main concern- and not trying to establish a right that you have no entitlement to?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OPs story does not stack up sufficiently to leave this thread open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement