Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to a specific website

Options
  • 16-05-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,
    I cannot connect to a specific website, it times out.
    I have pinged the website, it times out. I have 'flushed' the DNS as per online instructions. I have turned our Modem on and off.
    Another computer in my house cannot connect (times out) so it is my Eircom modem issue.
    I have deleted my history and cookies. I have reinstalled Chrome, and tried other Browers.
    Eircom told me in the 'chat' to contact the website, but I can connect using my phone data, others I know can connect.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

If the website is only failing from your house and works from elsewhere, including other houses that use Eircom Broadband, the remote webserver's firewall has probably blocked your IP for some reason.

A lot of webservers are running on shared hosting services running cPanel and the bundled firewall with that setup usually blocks your IP after N bad password attempts within a certain period. The only way to get back access may be to contact the site administrator.

Do you have a mail account that you can no longer connect to from home either? If so, it may be on the same shared server and causing you to get blocked from *all* sites hosted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Change your DNS server entry in the DHCP setting of the router to something like 9.9.9.9 and 1.1.1.1.
    If it's not possible in the router then give your machine a static IP and these DNS server addresses.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Tenshot wrote: »
    If the website is only failing from your house and works from elsewhere, including other houses that use Eircom Broadband, the remote webserver's firewall has probably blocked your IP for some reason.

A lot of webservers are running on shared hosting services running cPanel and the bundled firewall with that setup usually blocks your IP after N bad password attempts within a certain period. The only way to get back access may be to contact the site administrator.

Do you have a mail account that you can no longer connect to from home either? If so, it may be on the same shared server and causing you to get blocked from *all* sites hosted there.

This makes sense as it only happened just after another email account I use had to be changed. It said cPanel re direct or something other. There was multiple messing about with passwords as I could not log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

sadie9 wrote: »
    This makes sense as it only happened just after another email account I use had to be changed. It said cPanel re direct or something other. There was multiple messing about with passwords as I could not log in.

Use a free trial VPN to see if you can connect

Advertisement