Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

Options
  • 16-05-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? £500ish GBP

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming - fps games, total war

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    PSU - FSP500-60HHN
    Case
    Graphics Card - GTX 1060 6Gb
    Wireless card
    DVD drive
    HDD

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920 x 1080, possibly

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Prefer not to

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No

Hi guys, a little extra info.
    Current PC is a Zoostorm Stormforce Tornado, approximately two and a half years old.
    Specs are: Asus H110M-R motherboard, i5-6400 cpu, GTX 1060 6gb gpu, 8gb ram

Currently considering the following upgrades:

Ryzen 7 2700X
    MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard
    500gb SSD
    Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gb DDR4 3000 RAM

Comes to about £510 on amazon. I'm thinking existing graphics card should be good enough for 1080 gaming for the next year or so and the new processor will still be good enough when it comes time to upgrade.

Any thoughts or advice ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£211.71 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.20 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.23 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card
    Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£62.72 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £503.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-16 18:55 BST+0100

Good idea to upgrade the PSU while you're at it.

*edit*
    Double-check that you can actually fit a full-size ATX motherboard in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Thanks for the help, I'll add the new psu and check the case measurements for the motherboard.

Any reason you've downgraded the cpu to a 2700? The X version seems to offer decent improvement for not a lot more money ?

Simply to keep within the £500 budget.

Dropping mobo down to a B450 micro-ATX:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£269.70 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£82.62 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.12 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.23 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card
    Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£62.72 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £534.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 11:20 BST+0100

Or consider the 2600X & a £30-45 tower cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only thing I would say is that you can get an i7-6700K for €180 2nd hand if you shop around and it's pretty similar to the 2700X in games performance, better in some cases, depends on the game.

For me personally it wouldn't be worth upgrading to a whole new platform for another few years, not when the 6700K is still an excellent gaming CPU. The i5-6500 is dated alright due to lack of threads.

You could spend the money on a new GPU instead like a GTX1660Ti which would overall with the 6700K give you miles better performance than a 2700X + GTX1060 6GB.

Don't get me wrong, the 2700X is a good CPU and will age better, but the 6700K is miles cheaper, less hassle, and will still give your current setup another few years of longevity, and it means you can afford a new card right now also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd second that a i7-6700K (plus another 8G) it's the best way to go performance/price wise. Maybe keep the 1060 for now and upgrade when you feel the need.

The only thing I would say is that you can get an i7-6700K for €180 2nd hand if you shop around and it's pretty similar to the 2700X in games performance, better in some cases, depends on the game.

For me personally it wouldn't be worth upgrading to a whole new platform for another few years, not when the 6700K is still an excellent gaming CPU. The i5-6500 is dated alright due to lack of threads.

You could spend the money on a new GPU instead like a GTX1660Ti which would overall with the 6700K give you miles better performance than a 2700X + GTX1060 6GB.

Don't get me wrong, the 2700X is a good CPU and will age better, but the 6700K is miles cheaper, less hassle, and will still give your current setup another few years of longevity, and it means you can afford a new card right now also.
    Cordell wrote: »
    I'd second that a i7-6700K (plus another 8G) it's the best way to go performance/price wise. Maybe keep the 1060 for now and upgrade when you feel the need.

BIG DISAGREE

i7-6700K would throttle like hell on OP's motherboard (Asus H110M-R); I suspect the i5-6500 isn't running at full speed either.

Can only agree that it would work if you also replace the motherboard, at which stage you'd want 2x8 GB faster RAM - and now you're upgrading the whole thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

It shouldn't experience VRM throttling at stock speeds, for what I know this was only a thing on old AMD Buldozer era MB/CPU combos. Unless I'm completely wrong, that is.

Why would it throttle? As the previous poster said I've also encountered issues with old AMD chipsets which technically supported FX but throttled during use, but I've never heard of a H110M board throttling before nor have I experienced it either.

The vast majority of OEM builds using the 6700 had H110M boards.

If there's some known issue/bug with that specific H110M-R, fair enough.

Cordell wrote: »
    It shouldn't experience VRM throttling at stock speeds, for what I know this was only a thing on old AMD Buldozer era MB/CPU combos. Unless I'm completely wrong, that is.

Take another look at that motherboard.
    It's probably worse than even the motherboard in that Walmart machine GamersNexus ripped a new one last year.

Similarly, iBUYPOWER's cheap motherboard choice also caused huge performance losses compared to stock.

• Advertisement

The performance drop in that review is from bad out-of-box configuration of speeds though. It's not a crap motherboard to blame for the lower than expected result, it's bad settings out-of-the-box...which most people wouldn't notice or realise, hence wouldn't realise they were being robbed of performance.

It even goes on to say:
    For other results, as we showed earlier, it was pretty obvious when something was wrong. Far Cry 5 at 1080p gives clear insight to the problem: The 9700K review put the CPU at 149FPS AVG, with the out-of-box iBUYPOWER test landing us at 122FPS AVG. Enabling XMP and fixing the broken frequency setting got us back up to 147FPS AVG on iBUYPOWER, illustrating an out-of-box loss of 17%.

So the difference in the end is 2fps, which is what, 1-2%. Not a big deal.

Advertisement