Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it would be good to see a good chunk of anything raised being shared with the family of the sherpa if it's true he also died

The money is being raised to put more sherpas into an extremely dangerous situation so that will tell you the different value life has depending on nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

screamer wrote: »
    I think the Sherpa is missing too, read the statement from last night from the company rep, he said that one of the most experienced climbers on the mountain is missing and everyone is sad. That’s not referring to the novice climber.
    I’m thinking that the go fund me page might be to help the family with income or pay off mortgages etc, as I’m pretty sure that life insurance won’t be paying out if you go climbing Everest and the worst happens. Sad that that family is devestated now, and I really don’t see what for, just very sad.

According to this report the Sherpa, Ravi Thakar, died of altitude sickness and was found in his tent at Camp IV:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indian-mountaineer-dies-in-nepal-third-in-as-many-days-2039043

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

kaymin wrote: »
    According to this report the Sherpa, Ravi Thakar, died of altitude sickness and was found in his tent at Camp IV:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indian-mountaineer-dies-in-nepal-third-in-as-many-days-2039043

Yes, i heard this too. The wikipedia page has been updated listing Seamus as one who perished on the mountain, but not yet Ravi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Yes, i heard this too. The wikipedia page has been updated listing Seamus as one who perished on the mountain, but not yet Ravi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest

Ravi is Indian, not sherpa. Think wrestlemaniac's source mixing up his case with Seamus Lawless'. Ravi descended to C4 and passed away in his tent.

Ravi is Indian, not sherpa. Think wrestlemaniac's source mixing up his case with Seamus Lawless'. Ravi descended to C4 and passed away in his tent.

I read that post wrong, I didn't register wrestlemaniac saying he was a sherpa. I had read he was part of the team, yes.

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable of sources, but I wonder why have they added Seamus as dead but not Ravi.

• Advertisement

I read that post wrong, I didn't register wrestlemaniac saying he was a sherpa. I had read he was part of the team, yes.

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable of sources, but I wonder why have they added Seamus as dead but not Ravi.

Probably added by someone who read the news reports, most reports only talk about Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Not mixing anything up, I stated a source I have confirmed Shay descended to C4 with a sherpa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not mixing anything up, I stated a source I have confirmed Shay descended to C4 with a sherpa.

Just to note. I had heard this too. Some innaccurate information gone out compared to what has not been published and relayed privately I think, but either way, he is still unfortunately missing.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just to note. I had heard this too. Some innaccurate information gone out compared to what has not been published and relayed privately I think, but either way, he is still unfortunately missing.

That makes 3. Very sad if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

tuxy wrote: »
    I believe Everest has become more of an extreme holiday for rich people than responsible climbers.

Yes and plenty of people who couldn't care about the mountain. Just look at the rubbish these so called "spiritual - respectful" climbers leave behind every year ! The base camp is a kip. Not sure why anyone would want to go or climb it anymore.

Terribly sad situation for this guy's family. Hopefully they get some news soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,463 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A sad story, and one I can see both sides of the argument on.

From his own family point of view, it is tragic for them. I know people are saying "he shouldn't have went", but lets be honest, he wasn't expecting to die. The majority of climbers still make the trip safely. If he did take a fall then it was an accident that caused it probably.

And his family are in the initial shock stage, and all they want is their husband, father, son, brother home. They aren't accepting the enormity of the task of getting him home, they just want him home. In the cold light of day, it might dawn on them that it could be a near impossible thing to achieve, as it could be like searching for a needle in a haystack, if he has fallen in some ravine or crevasse and is out of view. He might never be recovered,and no amount of money raised will help.

From the more extreme point of view, yes I can see why people would question his quest in the 1st place. Yes if it costs €45000 to go on the trip and he wanted to give Barrettstown €25,000, then he likely had to raise 60k or 70k. Yes he could have handed over the 70k directly instead of 25k, but he obviously felt it was something he wanted to do or achieve.

Its sad either way, and something which I hope others consider before leaving their families to undertake something that has the potential to kill you in the name of charity.

If he descended to Camp 4 then the "missing" bit makes no sense. Comparatively straightforward terrain between C4 and C3.

If he descended to Camp 4 then the "missing" bit makes no sense. Comparatively straightforward terrain between C4 and C3.

I'm sure when talking about Everest, "comparatively straightforward" can still be extremely dangerous if you miss a step and take a fall.

So the story about his GPS being found 500 metres from where he was last seen is wrong?

Nothing straightforward about Everest at the best of times, especially so if altitude sickness is involved

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure when talking about Everest, "comparatively straightforward" can still be extremely dangerous if you miss a step and take a fall.

So the story about his GPS being found 500 metres from where he was last seen is wrong?

And @wrestlenaniac

"comparatively" means compared to above C4 not compared to the escalator in the Stephen's Green Centre.

I know nothing about the GPS device story. Really depends in what the device was. If he took a big fall anywhere (and as i said, that's far - or comparatively - more likely above C4 than below it) the possibility of a device becoming detached is fairly real.

And @wrestlenaniac

"comparatively" means compared to above C4 not compared to the escalator in the Stephen's Green Centre.

I know nothing about the GPS device story. Really depends in what the device was. If he took a big fall anywhere (and as i said, that's far - or comparatively - more likely above C4 than below it) the possibility of a device becoming detached is fairly real.

I repeat, nothing is straightforward on Everest. Even mentioning an escalator is ridiculous.

I repeat, nothing is straightforward on Everest. Even mentioning an escalator is ridiculous.

It sounds fron your earlier post that you know Mr Lawless so i don't want to be insensitive, but saying "nothing is straightforward on Everest" is trite and pointless. It is an objective fact that the terrain above camp 4 is more difficult than from 3 to 4. It is an objective fact that the air is thinner and that the thickening air offsets fatigue when you're descending. It is an objective fact that when descending from summit to c4 you have been climbing for up to 12 hours and more since you've rested in a tent, whereas c4 to c3 is going to be 4 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It sounds fron your earlier post that you know Mr Lawless so i don't want to be insensitive, but saying "nothing is straightforward on Everest" is trite and pointless. It is an objective fact that the terrain above camp 4 is more difficult than from 3 to 4. It is an objective fact that the air is thinner and that the thickening air offsets fatigue when you're descending. It is an objective fact that when descending from summit to c4 you have been climbing for up to 12 hours and more since you've rested in a tent, whereas c4 to c3 is going to be 4 hours max.

May I ask, have you climbed Everest? No other reason than pure interest. Sounds to a non climber like me that you have.

This is a very interesting piece, mostly about how badly the sherpa's are treated and how so many inexperienced climbers are looking for a pampered climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I initially thought it was incredibly selfish of this man to climb Everest until I read that the fatality rate is 2%, that's actually quite low compared to lots of other activities.

But I am really uncomfortable with the GoFundMe page to raise 750k to "recover" him.

Reality is that even attempting recovery is putting other people at risk and fairly futile, surely this money is better used by the charity he set out to raise money for?

I'm also extremely sceptical of any of these trips being classed as "fund raising" when they cost so much to do.

I would dearly love to do the Camino and Focus Ireland do it every year and yet I couldn't bring myself to call my ambition to go to a certain place a "fundraiser". It's not, it's what I want to do so when I do I'll fund it myself.

• Advertisement

This is a very interesting piece, mostly about how badly the sherpa's are treated and how so many inexperienced climbers are looking for a pampered climb.

Good video, at a little over 15 mins in it talks about expedition companies exploiting peoples grief and risking sherpas for monetary gain in new body recovery services.
    Do you think this may be the case with the Irish family, is it possible some company has put pressure on them, telling them that such a recovery mission is a good idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 tempmailtest mail

Altitude sickness can leave you very confused and disorientated,

Good video, at a little over 15 mins in it talks about expedition companies exploiting peoples grief and risking sherpas for monetary gain in new body recovery services.
    Do you think this may be the case with the Irish family, is it possible some company has put pressure on them, telling them that such a recovery mission is a good idea?

Yeah, but who told the family they need €750,000 to try to find him?

I'm sure the sherpa's will only get a fraction of that.

Yeah, but who told the family they need €750,000 to try to find him?

I'm sure the sherpa's will only get a fraction of that.

Of course, it's not the sherpa's that own these companies.
    €500k mortgage repayment €250k for expedition companies VIP body recovery service.
    The people donating seem to think it's a reasonable amount to ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Of course, it's not the sherpa's that own these companies.
    €500k mortgage repayment €250k for expedition companies VIP body recovery service.
    The people donating seem to think it's a reasonable amount to ask for.

You saying the family are trying to pocket 500k for their mortgage???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hoboo wrote: »
    You saying the family are trying to pocket 500k for their mortgage???
    ah stop

On the back of everything you listed above, my point still stands, nothing is straightforward on Everest. I never said c4 to c3 was easier than summit to c4.
    It certainly doesn't warrant a comparison between a 4 hour trek and an escalator ride.
    Go walking for four hours and you will be tired. Throw in the cumulative effects of everything you mentioned about the descent, add in the days taken to summit and altitude sickness and I think it's fair to say that it is possibility that someone can go 'missing' from c4 to c3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Have similar recovery operations ever been undertaken before I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Blaizes wrote:

Two people died trying to bring Hannelore Schmantz' body down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Blaizes wrote:

Two people died trying to bring Hannelore Schmantz' body down.

Ok but are there any good news stories. I read about a guy who was found after a year but the family opted to leave him there. I think it was their choice not to take him off the mountain. I don’t know if he was accidentally found or if it was a planned search. I will try to find the link or more details.

Advertisement