Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Yes, it's an extraordinary amount of money, can't comprehend how that figure came about, unless as you state there's a company taking a significant chunk.

And the chances of a body being recovered are slim.

This strikes me as a scam, people can start drawing down gofundme funds as soon as they are pledged, direct to their bank accounts, to spend as they please, no questions asked.

No need to reach the target.

No requirement to set out in advance where and how money will be spent.

No accountability at all.

I am not speaking about this situation in particular here, just the overall concept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

jasper100 wrote: »
    Ah would you grow on a bit. We are as entitled to discuss stuff on here as wealthy amateur thrill seekers are allowed climb everest, with the assistance of sherpas who are paid a pittance and do all the real work, risking their lives every day.

That is a nasty, mean-spirited, ignorant, dirty little comment. How do you think any of Shay's family would feel if they read that?

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

Do you understand the premise of a discussion board?

Oh yeah, I forgot that discussion boards can't be read by the family and children of a missing person.

And that stuff posted here can't hurt his wife and family for years to come.

That is a nasty, mean-spirited, ignorant, dirty little comment. How do you think any of Shay's family would feel if they read that?

Would you cop on to yourself. His family want 750k to launch seemingly the biggest everest recovery operation of all time, putting many lives at risk.

Would you cop on to yourself. His family want 750k to launch seemingly the biggest everest recovery operation of all time, putting many lives at risk.

Again I'll say it ... I'll call as "spade a spade" as someone posted above ... you should be utterly ashamed of the utter tripe and mean-spirited rubbish you have posted in this thread. It is ignorant and mis-informed as well as being borderline libellous.

Your posts are full of nastiness, pure piss and vinegar ... would you be the same in person if you met his wife? Do you realise that the nasty sh1t you are posting could be read by his children some day???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Oh yeah, I forgot that discussion boards can't be read by the family and children of a missing person.

And that stuff posted here can't hurt his wife and family for years to come.

We may switch the internet off in case anyone gets offended

This strikes me as a scam, people can start drawing down gofundme funds as soon as they are pledged, direct to their bank accounts, to spend as they please, no questions asked.

I am not speaking about this situation in particular here, just the overall concept.

This is possibly the nastiest thing I have ever read on boards. And thats saying something.

Reported, as this is a very serious accusation that you've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The truth hurts.

We may switch the internet off in case anyone gets offended

No, not the entire Internet.

Just switch off the keyboard warrior cowards.

Well then why are you saying it here? Its just as damaging to the family if they read it here or hear it in person.

this type of high-horse moralising about public topics on public message boards never gets any less tiresome

• Advertisement

This is possibly the nastiest thing I have ever read on boards. And thats saying something.

Reported, as this is a very serious accusation that you've made.

Well done. What accusation did I make by the way?

What accusation did I make by the way?

You made the accusation that the GoFundMe is a scam.

Do you think it's a scam? Maybe the whole thing is an elaborate plan just to make money for the family? Is that what you think?

Perhaps you could give a really, really clear answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I'd like to see full accountability of all funds donated, utterly ridiculous stuff what's happening, a cursory search will throw up any number of articles about bodies on Everest and risks associated with search and rescue on the mountain, if they end up getting scammed I'll find it hard to Express any sympathy, if the money isn't seen to be donated to some relevant charity if a search and rescue mission isn't gone through with, then I'd consider that to be borderline fraudulent on behalf of anyone who donated on the basis it was for a search and rescue operation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    If I was going to climb everest, I'd make it clear that if I went missing at a high hard to access point leave me be.

Id rather die than costing more lives and money to search for a frozen corpse the remains of a loved one.

150,000 go fund me...

For what?

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

In the last hour there has been a number of posts on the gofundme requesting that the family reconsiders sending more people into danger. These were respectful posts that wished the family well but pointed out the problems with recovery missions at 8000m+.
    These posts have been deleted, whoever is running the page wishes to keep the general public in the dark about what they are funding.

I'd like to see full accountability of all funds donated, utterly ridiculous stuff what's happening, a cursory search will throw up any number of articles about bodies on Everest and risks associated with search and rescue on the mountain, if they end up getting scammed I'll find it hard to Express any sympathy, if the money isn't seen to be donated to some relevant charity if a search and rescue mission isn't gone through with, then I'd consider that to be borderline fraudulent on behalf of anyone who donated on the basis it was for a search and rescue operation

The cynic in me thinks we will eventually get a statement saying the recovery is not possible and the public will be thanked for their support and that will be the last we hear on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

People can be as outraged as they want, we’re all still entitled to our opinion and that won’t change...... at this stage it must be realized that this man is dead, and I don’t see what use or good can come from others out trying to recover a body, perhaps even more death for other families to be left bereft, and I’d have no problem saying that to anyone. Common sense must prevail, common sense and preservation of lives of those who’d otherwise be sent on a recovery mission.......

tuxy wrote: »
    In the last hour there has been a number of posts on the gofundme requesting that the family reconsiders sending more people into danger. These were respectful posts that wished the family well but pointed out the problems with recovery missions at 8000m+.
    These posts have been deleted, whoever is running the page wishes to keep the general public in the dark about what they are funding.

Goes to show the value of forums like this that people with agendas cant censor what they dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

screamer wrote: »
    People can be as outraged as they want, we’re all still entitled to our opinion and that won’t change...... at this stage it must be realized that this man is dead, and I don’t see what use or good can come from others out trying to recover a body, perhaps even more death for other families to be left bereft, and I’d have no problem saying that to anyone. Common sense must prevail, common sense and preservation of lives of those who’d otherwise be sent on a recovery mission.......

And common sense will probably prevail.

But remember, none of us are in the family's situation right now, so let's not be so quick to judge their actions of recent days.

Goes to show the value of forums like this that people with agendas cant censor what they dont like.

Jasper, perhaps you can answer the question I put to you above.

Just so that you are not censored, like.

In case you didnt see it, the question was ...
    You made the accusation that the GoFundMe is a scam.

Do you think it's a scam? Maybe the whole thing is an elaborate plan just to make money for the family? Is that what you think?

Perhaps you could give a really, really clear answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

[/b]

And common sense will probably prevail.

But remember, none of us are in the family's situation right now, so let's not be so quick to judge their actions of recent days.

I’m not judging them, but I certainly won’t contribute to a fund to have other misfortune people sent up Everest on a recovery mission which they may never return from, which could leave other poor women and children behind with no partner or dad or financial means. If the fund was for the family themselves like setup as a hardship fund to help them financially I’d contribute but no way to a recovery operation that would expect others to risk their lives to recover a body.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The search has now been suspended until late next week.

What a lot of people are forgetting is that climbs on everest are usually only done during a very small window in May, as that's when the weather is at its most favourable.

Outside of this window the risks can increase dramatically. Its likely by the time the money is raised it'll be too late to try to go look for him, and any search might be delayed indefinitely.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Outside of this window the risks can increase dramatically. Its likely by the time the money is raised it'll be too late to try to go look for him, and any search might be delayed indefinitely.

But these recovery missions tend to cost less than €100k and there is already over €200k raised. Perhaps they plan on trying every May for the next decade.

theguzman wrote: »
    What a narcissistic idiot, he risked his life to leave his 4 year old child and wife behind. Then I read "Trinity Professor" an institution living off past golden years for far too long. And now they want the public to pony up to recover his body. I think these crowdfunding schemes should all be shut down as they help enable this cancer of narcissism fuelled by moron influencers on Instagram and Facebook, more concerned with subscribers and likes than the real world.

Wait until poster "QuadaLumpins" reads that!!

Well said btw.

Also rte should be held to account for promoting this.

@jasper I’m still waiting for an answer.

Or are you too cowardly to stand behind the accusation you made about the GoFundMe being a scam?

tuxy wrote: »
    The cynic in me thinks we will eventually get a statement saying the recovery is not possible and the public will be thanked for their support and that will be the last we hear on the matter.

The climbing (and body recovery) window is pretty much closing at this point, and if its delayed a week, as mentioned on here earlier, I cant see this recovery mission happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

screamer wrote: »
    I’m not judging them, but I certainly won’t contribute to a fund to have other misfortune people sent up Everest on a recovery mission which they may never return from, which could leave other poor women and children behind with no partner or dad or financial means. If the fund was for the family themselves like setup as a hardship fund to help them financially I’d contribute but no way to a recovery operation that would expect others to risk their lives to recover a body.

This is probably the most reasoned post of the last few pages.
    But to play devil's advocate, maybe there is a company scamming the family into believing a recovery is possible if they give them some massive €X00k fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So what happens if this retrieval team, go's up, fails to retrieve the body and come home?

This whole thing sounds ludicrous and is taking advantage of the family and well meaning people.

There is absolutely nothing to say that these folks throwing the bill out saying "we went to camp 3, had a scout around and couldn't see anything". Maybe they will go to Camp 3, have a look around and come back but in general it is complete nonsense. The people putting money into this account, whilst well meaning, are complete idiots.

I don't think anybody will be hurt or killed in any retrieval expedition, I just think they'll tokenly go up there, get out the binoculars and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The climbing (and body recovery) window is pretty much closing at this point, and if its delayed a week, as mentioned on here earlier, I cant see this recovery mission happening.

Will the 200k+ be refunded to the people who contributed to a rescue mission if it can't go ahead?

• Advertisement

Will the 200k+ be refunded to the people who contributed to a rescue mission if it can't go ahead?

I doubt it, that's not how gofundme usually works.

Advertisement