Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

No he loved it. He'd actually have loved it even more if, like this Everest expedition, he'd hit upon a wheeze to get other people to fund it. He had to pay for his hobby all by himself.

Why is it that some self indulgent, expensive, destructive-of-family, dangerous pursuits are seen by some as heroic while other, less selfish, ones aren't?

ok, he loved it.
    Nobelium wrote: »
    Does anyone know yet what height/altitude Seamus Lawless's (RIP) remains are lying at ?

What's the maximum height/altitude bodies have been successfully retrieved from with acceptable risk ?

From RTE

"The GPS worn by Mr Lawless was found almost 500 metres from where he fell, and experts say it is possible that the device became detached from Mr Lawless."

From BBC

"It has been reported that he went missing at an altitude of 8,300m (27,230ft), in an area known as "the balcony", near the mountain's summit."

He's gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

The government are now weighing in (Simon Coveney) offering financial support.

Government will help family of Trinity professor who went missing on Everest 'in any way possible' https://jrnl.ie/4642667

Comments closed for some reason. Is this guy connected to the media/political establishment in some way?

Simon Coveney was sailing around the world for Chernobyl when his father died.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/the-voyage-from-chernobyl-1.218259

Honest question: Did the Coveney family fund their own round the world yachting holiday or was it funded from the money that was given as a donation to a charity. If they funded it from their own resources fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭holliehobbie

It says they bought the boat and funded the journey themselves in that article.

It says they bought the boat and funded the journey themselves in that article.

As I said in my post - fair play to them so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

From RTE

"The GPS worn by Mr Lawless was found almost 500 metres from where he fell, and experts say it is possible that the device became detached from Mr Lawless."

From BBC

"It has been reported that he went missing at an altitude of 8,300m (27,230ft), in an area known as "the balcony", near the mountain's summit."

He's gone for good.

Thanks, does anyone know yet what height/altitude Seamus Lawless's (RIP) remains are lying at ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

No he loved it. He'd actually have loved it even more if, like this Everest expedition, he'd hit upon a wheeze to get other people to fund it. He had to pay for his hobby all by himself.

Why is it that some self indulgent, expensive, destructive-of-family, dangerous pursuits are seen by some as heroic while other, less selfish, ones aren't?

I don't consider anyone who summits a mountain heroic...

Hero's are people volunteering week in week to make our communities better. Hero's are human rights defenders taking a stand for what they belive in. Hero's are doctors, nurses, firemen saving lives everyday. Hero's are people who overcome serious illness - disability and still manage to get up each morning and press on. Hero's are single parents raising children day in day out with no support. Hero's are people who tirelessly campaign to improve our world and fight for the rights of the marginalised. Sorry, but I don't consider mountaineering heroic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks, does anyone know yet what height/altitude Seamus Lawless's (RIP) remains are lying at ?

No one knows, they believe he fell from the area know as the balcony but it's impossible to say how far he fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

do people not realise where he fell. in the death zone and above camp 4, he sadly isnt going to be found or brought back.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I don't consider anyone who summits a mountain heroic...

Thanks, I've done many over the years both in Ireland and the UK. I don't think much of it, it's just an enjoyable walk for me but I'm happy someone has an appreciation for what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They don't know where the body is, so they can't say.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone know yet what height/altitude Seamus Lawless's (RIP) remains are lying at ?

What's the maximum height/altitude bodies have been successfully retrieved from with acceptable risk ?

Not sure if it answers that specific question but this is worth a read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/27/the-extraordinary-cost-of-retrieving-dead-bodies-from-mount-everest/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.656a110a7b9f

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

tuxy wrote: »
    I agree with this viewpoint but if that gofundme from his pregnant wife is genuine and she thinks that he's been living at 8000m for the last few days and just needs a few sherpas to go up and help him down....... Well he really should have realised she's not very bight and explained what climbing Everest really involves.
    I don't think any sane couple would plan this when a baby is due.

Firstly I'm guessing you you say "bight" you meant "bright"

Secondly in a thread with some really really distasteful comments about this man and his family that (possibly)none of us have never meet the one above really jumps the shark I think.

It's one thing to question the guys motives but neither you, I nor anyone else on this thread has just had their loved one go missing thousands of miles away, so lets not start questioning their intelligence.
    You have no idea what is going through his wife's mind right now, so don't say she is "not very bight"

God help you if you ever found yourself in such a situation.

Actually I have just realised I can't even verify if that is really the person that started the gofundmepage.

Apologies, it has since come to my attention that the gofundme was started by a dishonest colleague of Seamus and it is them that own the €225,000 raised and not the family. Like many others I too was duped.

Tuxy
    Could you expand on that a bit please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

May be a stupid question but would a thermal camera not detect him or would he already be the same temperature as the surrounding snow/ice?

That's assuming a helicopter could even get close which is very unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Apologies, it has since come to my attention that the gofundme was started by a dishonest colleague of Seamus and it is them that own the €225,000 raised and not the family. Like many others I too was duped.

Edit: actually I have just realised I can't even verify if that is really the person that started the gofundmepage.

How can this be checked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    May be a stupid question but would a thermal camera not detect him or would he already be the same temperature as the surrounding snow/ice?

1) Helicopters can't get to that height.

2) He is likely frozen solid at this stage, so again no to the thermal camera.

All rescues have to be undertaken by a team of climbers. No other way.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Pheonix10
    Pull out the old chequebook there and we can test your theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mike_ie wrote: »
    None. Traditionally that was dictated by common sense - one didn't tackle big mountains without gaining experience on lett difficult mountains. However, Everest is one of the few mountains I know of where there are commercial climbing expeditions, there have been cases (and I have seen a few firsthand on Everest) where there have been climbers who have had no experience but are going through a midlife crisis, and have a chequebook big enough to help them get through it.

As to what the solution is, I don't know. I was actually discussing this last week with a group of climbers - the conclusion we came to was something akin to diving, where you have to log your climbs in the same way you log dives, and can't progress to more difficult or higher climbs unless you have logged a certain number of hours at lower levels. But that comes with its own set of issues.

Wow I'm genuinely shocked by that, I thought there would be some kind of grading system or skill level

Tuxy
    Could you expand on that a bit please?

Up until now it was very confusing that why family was trying to raise €750,000. It was unclear what the money was for but the gofundme page was leading people to believe that he could still be alive and the insurance company had abandoned him and that's why they needed so much money.
    People who read the news would know that the experts were saying there was no chance he was alive. Comments asking them not to risk more lives retrieving a body were removed, the gofundme was heavily censored.

It was pointed out that the name the gofundme is under is not actually a family member. There is no way to verify who setup the page but that person now has access to €225,000 to do with as they please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Up until now it was very confusing that why family was trying to raise €750,000. It was unclear what the money was for but the gofundme page was leading people to believe that he could still be alive and the insurance company had abandoned him and that's why they needed so much money.
    People who read the news would know that the experts were saying there was no chance he was alive. Comments asking them not to risk more lives retrieving a body were removed, the gofundme was heavily censored.

It was pointed out that the name the gofundme is under is not actually a family member. There is no way to verify who setup the page but that person now has access to €225,000 to do with as they please.

The go fund me page is dodgey? Has the family verified it yet?

Bowlardo wrote: »

The page was started under the name Olivia Waters, who is the name of someone that works in Trinity however there is no way of knowing if it is really them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Wow I'm genuinely shocked by that, I thought there would be some kind of grading system or skill level

This is the crowd that Shay Lawless signed up with - https://www.sevensummittreks.com/trip/vvip-everest-expedition-service

Basically, you pay for some poor local Sherpas to carry you and all your gear up the mountain so you can take an Instagram photo.

Perhaps all money collected above and beyond what they want to spend will go directly to Barretstown?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bowlardo wrote: »

They've retweeted it at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is the crowd that Shay Lawless signed up with - https://www.sevensummittreks.com/trip/vvip-everest-expedition-service

Basically, you pay for some poor local Sherpas to carry you and all your gear up the mountain so you can take an Instagram photo.
    If you want to experience what it feels like to be on the highest point on the planet and have strong economic background to compensate for your old age, weak physical condition or your fear of risks, you can sign up for the VVIP Mount Everest Expedition Service offered by Seven Summit Treks and Expeditions.

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Gofundme can freeze accounts temporarily if they are suspicious. Has anyone with more info on the owner contacted Gofundme yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Quote a chilling qoute from a climber who nearly died attempting Everest:
    He told BBC, “If you don’t have anyone who cares about you or is dependent on you, if you have no friends or colleagues, and if you’re willing to put a single round in the chamber of a revolver and put it in your mouth and pull the trigger, then yeah, it’s a pretty good idea to climb Everest.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Gofundme can freeze accounts temporarily if they are suspicious. Has anyone with more info on the owner contacted Gofundme yet?

If this so called rescue doesn't happen I'm sure serious questions will be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Augme

Augme wrote: »
    Big difference between carrauntoohil and Everest. Also, the fact he is missing is what is making this a much bigger story.

So it's more glamorous to die on Everest, good to know, little comfort to ger duffys family I'd imagine and no gofund page set up to support his family

Eh, why would a GoFundMe page be set to search for the ger Duffy? That would be fairly bizarre.

Advertisement