Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hal3000 wrote: »
    If this so called rescue doesn't happen I'm sure serious questions will be asked.

Well it can't happen, at least not this year.
    There is no accountability for where money goes to on gofundme, people can just withdraw the money no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

tuxy wrote: »
    Well it can't happen, at least not this year.
    There is no accountability for where money goes to on gofundme, people can just withdraw the money no questions asked.
    Genuinely wondering, what has possessed you to go on such a crusade against this particularly fundraiser? If there's evidence of wrong-doing, you should really provide it immediately.

From what I can see, Olivia Waters is the Communications Manager at the ADAPT project in TCD, where Seamus works. That seems like a sensible person to organise something like this.

It's sad that some people here treat a tragic event as some kind of game and/or conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This is the crowd that Shay Lawless signed up with - https://www.sevensummittreks.com/trip/vvip-everest-expedition-service

Basically, you pay for some poor local Sherpas to carry you and all your gear up the mountain so you can take an Instagram photo.

Jesus christ they make it sound like it's a handy walk to the shops

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Jesus christ they make it sound like it's a handy walk to the shops

Handy walk to the bank for the owners of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

I'm completely against the idea of a recovery and with all due respect to Mr Lawless who was clearly a strong athlete and put enormous effort into his climb, I think that his climbing history was not strong enough to be there.

But let's not call the fundraiser a scam. It's people close to the family wanting to do something to "help" and it's a family in shock and grieving who are accepting the "help". It's no help at all and hopefully people will gently explsin that. I think Pat Falvey has started that process with some tactful but clear indications. People closer to the family need to take that lead.

But uninformed good intentions are a far more likely explanation for the gofundme page than any sort of fraud. It's what happens next that may take things into murkier places, but with some luck the recovery idea will pass and the money will go to his wife and kids and barrettstown and a sherpa charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

€218,000 now, is there a mechanism to refund that money, or can it be used for other purposes, eg donated to charity?

I donated to gofundme yesterday morning. I was tired and emotional and felt I was helping. I saw sense a few hours later and requested a refund from the website.
    When the refund was confirmed, I donated the same amount to Barretstown.
    I believe that was a far better cause and hope it's what Seamus Lawless would have wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Augme wrote: »
    Eh, why would a GoFundMe page be set to search for the ger Duffy? That would be fairly bizarre.

Where did I say that ?

From what I can see, Olivia Waters is the Communications Manager at the ADAPT project in TCD, where Seamus works. That seems like a sensible person to organise something like this.

I disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Genuinely wondering, what has possessed you to go on such a crusade against this particularly fundraiser? If there's evidence of wrong-doing, you should really provide it immediately.

It's sad that some people here treat a tragic event as some kind of game and/or conspiracy theory.

Additional lives are being put at risk. They are very desperately poor people who risk their lives for summit attempts but this is for some hapless “rescue attempt”. at no point during fund raising has it been clarified that it is going to be purely the (futile attempt) to recover a body. At worst, this is a horribly deceptive fund raising campaign, at best, and if it is genuine the organiser is at a shameless and ill informed idiot who needs to know how many other lives are at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tuxy wrote: »
    Apart form misinformation and false hope what is she organising? What is the money for? No amount of money can bring him back alive but the gofundme would have you believe otherwise.

Look, I have no doubt that the money in the fund will be used one way or the other, be it used for a search, handed over to the widow etc, or given to Barrettstown.

There's no way this woman Waters is going to pocket it, as some are hinting at.

I am wondering how she came about setting the target at €750,000 to begin with though?
    It appears to have been one of the most successful Irish gofundme's, raising €200k in 2 days basically. I think it will slow down rapidly now though. She has no chance of getting the 750k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

NIMAN wrote: »
    Look, I have no doubt that the money in the fund will be used one way or the other, be it used for a search, handed over to the widow etc, or given to Barrettstown.

There's no way this woman Waters is going to pocket it, as some are hinting at.

I am wondering how she came about setting the target at €750,000 to begin with though?
    It appears to have been one of the most successful Irish gofundme's, raising €200k in 2 days basically. I think it will slow down rapidly now though. She has no chance of getting the 750k.

Probably the same way that they calculated that there would be €250,000 left over for the Barretgstown kids when the Everest expedition had covered all their holiday expenses.

Don't want to distract but on the theme of burials in the mountains, an interesting and poignant story. I'm sure its somewhere online but i read about it in a book so working from memory.

Willi Unsold was the third American to summit everest when he and his partner climbed a new route, the west ridge, the same day the first two Americans climbed it by the south col route. Serious mountaineer. Lost his toes to frostbite in the way down but made it.

He always wanted to climb a sacred Indian mountain called Nanda Devi, but it was closed to climbers for years by the indian govt. Unsoeld had even named his daughter after it.

In the 70s, Nanda Devi was reopened to climbers (briefly) and a team was assembled. By now Devi Unsoeld was 19 or 20 and an accomplished climber for her age. Father and daughter joined the team. The expedition was a mess and there feuds and general bad luck. Anyway, at high altitude, Devi got severe oedema and rapidly deteriorated. She died with her father and her team wrapped her body and left her on the mountain she was named for.

There's no shame in leaving a body on the mountain.

Had never heard that story before, just checked it out.

There are some really interesting, and heartbreaking, stories based around mountain climbing, isn't there?

Had never heard that story before, just checked it out.

There are some really interesting, and heartbreaking, stories based around mountain climbing, isn't there?

There are, but for the most part it's good stories, good friendships, no drama. Just doing something well and getting great views of the world. That doesn't sell as many books but there are some great ones that arent all blood and guts.

Link to Devi Unsoeld story:https://people.com/archive/i-am-going-to-die-whispered-nanda-devi-on-the-mountain-she-regarded-as-her-own-vol-6-no-14/

"The chairman of the Indian Mountaineering Foundation wrote a letter to the co-leader of the climb, Adams Carter of Milton, Mass., which said, “Was it the mountain’s love for her or her love for the mountain that was greater? One will never know.”"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Don't want to distract but on the theme of burials in the mountains, an interesting and poignant story. I'm sure its somewhere online but i read about it in a book so working from memory.

Willi Unsold was the third American to summit everest when he and his partner climbed a new route, the west ridge, the same day the first two Americans climbed it by the south col route. Serious mountaineer. Lost his toes to frostbite in the way down but made it.

He always wanted to climb a sacred Indian mountain called Nanda Devi, but it was closed to climbers for years by the indian govt. Unsoeld had even named his daughter after it.

In the 70s, Nanda Devi was reopened to climbers (briefly) and a team was assembled. By now Devi Unsoeld was 19 or 20 and an accomplished climber for her age. Father and daughter joined the team. The expedition was a mess and there feuds and general bad luck. Anyway, at high altitude, Devi got severe oedema and rapidly deteriorated. She died with her father and her team wrapped her body and left her on the mountain she was named for.

There's no shame in leaving a body on the mountain.

Djzo039XsAApsbK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Ki ki wrote: »
    When the refund was confirmed, I donated the same amount to Barretstown.
    I believe that was a far better cause and hope it's what Seamus Lawless would have wanted.

My sympathies to his family, I would hope anyone participating in something like this would know and understand the dangers and the real possibilities of it not going to plan. In doing so i would hope that they leave instructions for what to do in the event of something going wrong and their body going missing in such an area.

There was a mountain rescue member on RTE radio 1 today at 1pm news. His picture of the whole search and rescue didnt sound very optimistic. He mentioned that a similar effort was made few years ago and they only managed to move the body a few 100 metres such was the terrain and the exertion at such heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Firstly I'm guessing you you say "bight" you meant "bright"

Secondly in a thread with some really really distasteful comments about this man and his family that (possibly)none of us have never meet the one above really jumps the shark I think.

It's one thing to question the guys motives but neither you, I nor anyone else on this thread has just had their loved one go missing thousands of miles away, so lets not start questioning their intelligence.
    You have no idea what is going through his wife's mind right now, so don't say she is "not very bight"

God help you if you ever found yourself in such a situation.

If you set up a Go Fund Me Page looking for 750,000 euro ,you can expect people to comment and in my opinion you are inviting comment.

What surprised me most ,was the speed that the page was set up, in such at short time, he was only missing a few hours when the page was set up.

I would expect a period of turmoil for a few days and then start to make plans and look for help.

Indecent haste in this case ! How was the figure of 750,000 arrived at ?

This is a very interesting programme, about the 33 yr old Canadian woman who climbed Everest but who died on the return from the summit.
    She was very inexperienced but managed to do it, against the advice of the sherpas, but it cost her her life.
    A lot of her own video footage is in the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

theballz wrote: »
    I have climbed Everest. The death zone is an unforgiving place, I haven’t been really keeping up on this but I believe he fell. God bless him and his family.

Really? Trying to claim valour off the back of a thread about a likely deceased climber? That's about as low as you can get IMO.

This is a very interesting programme, about the 33 yr old Canadian woman who climbed Everest but who died on the return from the summit.
    She was very inexperienced but managed to do it, against the advice of the sherpas, but it cost her her life.
    A lot of her own video footage is in the piece.

Yes very interesting video. It really takes the glamour out of it seeing all the inexperienced climbers queuing up barely able to move being baby sat by sherpas.
    Two important points were raised near the end of the video.
    There are no negative consequences for the Nepalese government when someone dies so they will continue to issue as many permits as possible.
    Also the more people that die on the mountain the more people there are that want to try it.

• Advertisement

To be fair, its not the Nepalese governments concern if rich, untrained Westerners want to hand over a small fortune to climb a mountain.

When you are an adult, its no-ones responsibility to babysit you, especially when experts warn you to do the right thing and you refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Fcuk him

Selfish as fook

I watch all everest documentaries so know how hard it is , deserve what you get when you step foot on that mountain , sure he has 200 + neighbours up there

Mod

Thread banned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Utterly charming comment. Glad to hear you watched all the documentaries. Your YouTube mountaineering expert certificate is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

mike_ie wrote: »
    Really? Trying to claim valour off the back of a thread about a likely deceased climber? That's about as low as you can get IMO.

That is an over the top reaction, and completely misrepresents what was a respectful post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 tempmailtest mail

^ context:
    theballz wrote: »
    Human beings are not built to function at the level of a crushing 747 plane.

As mentioned I have climbed Everest. When you reach camp 4 the shocking reality is there’s really very little you can do up there other than try survive. The air is so thin that even with supplemental oxygen every minute that you spend above 26,000 feet – in what’s known as the Death Zone – you’re basically dying. The human brain becomes confused and even small movements require Herculean efforts.

Recovering a body requires a lot of effort, not to mention risk, and so most of the time they’re just left there.

If you climbed Everest, why did you copy&paste the parts in bold above from this website? Word for word.

https://mpora.com/mountaineering-expeditions/the-gruesome-truth-about-the-climbers-who-die-on-mount-everest#LdQ6QOx8p2EMZ87X.97

Actually you copied your entire post. Except you spelled cruising wrong. Probably on purpose.

I think you are a fraud. Sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

It really is dog eat dog on Everest,I watched a documentary yesterday about a group from New Zealand who were climbing Everest in 2006. On their way up they passed a dying climber and then again on the way back down passed him again without trying to help him.

Not sure they could have done much to help but they were vilified in the press and by Sir Edmund Hilary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

mike_ie wrote: »

Um, what?! So this person has actually seen and experienced what being at 8000+ meters is like and you say all they're looking for is valour? Would you give over.

Hundreds have died trying to climb Everest and nearly all lie wherever they fell. Attempting to bring them back is too dangerous and any climber that attempts Everest knows it. There's no denying that it's a tragic accident but lets not send more people to possibly die on a virtually impossible mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not everything people say on the internet is true folks. Go easy jumping on mike_ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

Um, what?! So this person has actually seen and experienced what being at 8000+ meters is like and you say all they're looking for is valour? Would you give over.

Hundreds have died trying to climb Everest and nearly all lie wherever they fell. Attempting to bring them back is too dangerous and any climber that attempts Everest knows it. There's no denying that it's a tragic accident but lets not send more people to possibly die on a virtually impossible mission.

You need to read the whole thread, ot at least the rest of the thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Hoboo

This person has seen nothing. Page 40.

Advertisement