Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wow just had a look, the go fund me is almost at 250k that’s some serious money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Whatever about the Gofund me, but the people using the term hero need to think again. Amature mountaineers are not hero's. They do it for self satisfaction, overcoming personal goals, bragging rights,etc. Personal endeavours are rarely heroic as you do it mainly for yourself ! Ask yourself, who actually benefits most from you climbing a mountain ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pc7 wrote: »
    Wow just had a look, the go fund me is almost at 250k that’s some serious money!

We may never know what it's used for and no one in the media would dare ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Someone mentioned reporting the campaign. If you wish to do so, anyone can.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned reporting the campaign. If you wish to do so, anyone can.

Yes but technically he is still missing and not confirmed dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Having read through the thread and even read around on a few things it really is hard to know what to think. First off I obviously feel a lot of empathy for the man’s wife who is now a widow with a child to care for with another on the way. Insurance won’t pay out, mortgage protection etc, ‘adventure sports’ are usually excluded from policies. My condolences to his family.

The next part though and I apologise in advance for this, his actions were that of a selfish man, to go ahead on this trip with a decent probability of never returning was insane. His sponsor page, the original one was to pay for the trip – only leftovers would be given to Barretstown. So it was really – pay for me to do this.

Now people are being asked to donate again to mount a ‘rescue/recovery’ mission. At this point the decent thing needs to be done and those who have donated through gofundme should be refunded. If there is a gofundme started to ease the financial burden on his family then grand, donators can choose to donate with eyes wide open.

To hear this ‘hero’ crap, our soldiers killed on peacekeeping missions are heroes, Garda Ciaran Jones who jumped into a swollen river to rescue others and gave his life in the process is a hero, the firefighters who walk into burning buildings day in day out are heros.

This was a man chasing a thrill and lets be honest, there was no real charity element. He raised 8k, Barretstown wouldn’t have seen a cent of that based on what the page says.

Good post

But who exactly is referring to him as a 'hero' ?

I certainly have not seen or heard of him referred to as a 'hero'

how much was it ?

The chopper trip would have been about €1000, or something four figure under 2K as far as I recall. Helicopters are extrairdinary costly to operate. The airplane trip was just under €200 if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

gman2k wrote: »
    The Sherpas are the reason though why any climber makes it to the top as they lay the ropes, setup camps, setup the O2 caches etc.

The porters who supply all the goods to the teahouses along the trek in work very hard, carrying loads we could never dream of. But for them, it's their livelihood, and without this job they would be destined to work the building sites of Dubai like tens of thousands of their compatriots.
    There are laws in place limiting the loads each can carry, but they often break the limits themselves of their own choice.
    The most extreme load I saw was on the back of one porter up near Lobuche at 4900m - he was carrying a stove on his back, reckon it was 150kg.

The people who live in the Khumbu are some of the wealthiest in Nepal, due to the tourism.

Now to talk about the climbers again, I think a lot of comments on this thread are disgusting describing them as thrill seekers etc. For mountaineers, being in the mountains is what sustains them in life.
    I know that the mortality rate amongst motorbikers is higher over their lifetime, yet we don't hear them described here in the same way as some of the disgusting comments about Shay.
    Also, Shay had climbed Denali in Alaska, which is a serious achievement in itself on a very dangerous mountain. He was no thrill seeking tourist.
    Your post screams that you do not get a lot of things people are critical of.

The 'choice' you describe Sherpas make is made under financial pressure you have no comprehension of.
    Most of the comments critical of the choice this man made, are based on the fact that he had a pregnant wife and a 4 year old child at home. He had a good career, a young family and his life couldn't be further apart from the lives Sherpas lead. He had real choices in life , do you understand that difference?
    Spare me the 'being a mountaineer is what sustains them' claptrap.
    His wife and family are what should have sustained him.
    Call it what it is.

Good post

But who exactly is referring to him as a 'hero' ?

I certainly have not seen or heard of him referred to as a 'hero'

Many comments on the gofundmepage do mainly because that page claims he was doing the climb to "raise vital funds on behalf of Barretstown"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

In comparison to the average salary it seems great...but in comparison to what people pay to be helped up the mountain It doesn’t read too well:

Here:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/04/-sp-sherpa-families-everest-disaster-guides-avalanche-compensation

Or here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27907058

Never mind the fact that the Sherpas didn’t know how much westerners paid to climb until after the avalanche when they refused to go up the mountain and were abused by one climber who shouted at them ‘I’ve paid 50k to climb and you are going to bring me’

Not all were like this of course but it makes grim reading and saying ‘sure aren’t they earning more than the poorest ‘ doesn’t make it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Just an update from source:
    1. They believe they have a location of Seamus.
    2. A drone is being flown over to confirm this.
    3. His GPS is believed to still be attached.
    4. Garmin support not available over the weekend to confirm co-ordinates.

Correction to what I posted earlier in thread.
    He had not reached C4, it was in sight.

Re. The fall
    1. He descended with Sherpa due to AS.
    2. He unhooked from support line to Sherpa.
    3. At the same time, cross wind caused the fall.

Source gave a suggestion as to why he unhooked, however couldn't confirm.

Re. The fall

Any info on the Sherpa?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is a very interesting programme, about the 33 yr old Canadian woman who climbed Everest but who died on the return from the summit.
    She was very inexperienced but managed to do it, against the advice of the sherpas, but it cost her her life.
    A lot of her own video footage is in the piece.

I watched this the other day. An amazing feat really that she managed to summit despite having more or less no climbing experience whatsoever and being one of the slowest climbers in the group. Add to that the huge delays getting up the mountain it really was incredible.

Of course her total lack of experience made her make some fatal decisions. Th expedition group also have to take some responsibility.

Funnily enough, and quite on topic here, her body was recovered from the mountain a few weeks later, which I found surprising given the altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

tuxy wrote: »
    Any info on the Sherpa?

As far as I know Sherpa is fine, he's the one confirming some of the details as both Sherpa and Seamus went ahead of the group to descend quicker.

That is why Hana only discovered Seamus was missing when the rest of the group reached C4

As far as I know Sherpa is fine, he's the one confirming some of the details as both Sherpa and Seamus went ahead of the group to descend quicker.

That is why Hana only discovered Seamus was missing when the rest of the group reached C4

Some good news at least. What about Ravi Thakar who was also part of the team? I can't find any info on him and if he had a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Re. The fall

What exactly is the source for this ?

A drone at C4 on Everest ?
    Doesn't sound very plausible given the lack of air and the weather conditions.

Garmin support not available over the weekend ?
    A multi billion dollar company can't offer support over the weekend ?

Again does not sound very plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Re. The fall

Thank you for giving this update. Tentatively it could be good news and some measure of comfort to his family but early days I guess.

On a separate note you mentioned AS is this altitude sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Some good news at least. What about Ravi Thakar who was also part of the team? I can't find any info on him and if he had a family.

Ravi Thakar, 28, was found dead inside his tent at Camp IV on Mount Everest early Friday while Narayan Singh died at Camp IV on Thursday night when he was climbing down from the 8,485-meter Mount Makalu summit, world's fifth highest mountain.

Dipankar Ghos, 52, from Kolkata went missing from above Camp IV while returning from the Mount Makalu summit, said Mingma Sherpa, Chairman at Seven Summit Treks.

A search team, which reached the area from where the climber is suspected to have gone missing, however, failed to trace him, Sherpa said.

Ghos climbed Mount Everest in 2011 and has also scaled Mount Kanchenjunga, Mount Lhotse, Mount Manaslu and Mount Dhaulagiri among other peaks.

Thakar died after he suffered from high altitude sickness.

"Fellow climbers found him dead inside the tent," Sherpa was quoted as saying by The Himalayan Times.

Ravi was part of an eight-member expedition led by renowned Irish climber Noel Richard Hanna.

He along with other members made it to the summit of Mount Everest on Thursday morning.

Another member of the same expedition - Seamus Sean Lawless from Ireland - slipped from the balcony area while descending from the summit point.

• Advertisement

From an aircraft...

Ravi Thakar, 28, was found dead inside his tent at Camp IV on Mount Everest early Friday

Yeah that's all I can find, he was on the same team as Seamus, his body was found but less info. Wouldn't finding the body give more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks for the update wrestlemaniac. Sounds plausible. There are many reasons why you might need to unhook for a bit but with altitude sickness and exhaustion you’re very vulnerable. It’s tragic.

Something similar happened the American chap (who later married Cher) from the Everest series. He was lucky to survive ( but wrecked his hand afaik)

We may never know what it's used for and no one in the media would dare ask.

What’s the situation with Revenue re Gofundme earnings, does anybody here know?

What’s the situation with Revenue re Gofundme earnings, does anybody here know?

My understanding(open to correction) is that any money raised like this to a person or organisation that's not a registered charity will be taxed in the same way as any other source of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Re. The fall

What's the source's suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

gman2k wrote: »
    The Sherpas are the reason though why any climber makes it to the top as they lay the ropes, setup camps, setup the O2 caches etc.

Sure where's the sense of achievement in that?

"Oh look, I've climbed Everest (but someone else did all the hard work)".

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Sure where's the sense of achievement in that?

"Oh look, I've climbed Everest (but someone else did all the hard work)".

The excitement comes from the fact that you are still risking your life, even if someone else is doing all the work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

There's an awful lot of your post which is pure unconfirmed bolloc...speculation but you don't want to divulge this little bit, was it by any chance a very heroic and selfless act by Seamus to save poor old Mr. Sherpa? Keep us posted when you have your next update from deep throat on Twitter, am on the edge of my seat here. Nothing like a bit of attention.

Drones, garmin...for f*ck sake. I seriously hope some Nepalese lads are running the show with this around a laptop having a few pints in some shack pissing themselves laughing and take every cent of that GoFundMe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The youngest to ever climb Everest was only 13, the oldest was a Japanese guy over 80.

The most amount of people to ever reach the summit of Everest in a single day was on May 19, 2012, when over 200 people reached it. Can you imagine that, people almost queing up to get pictures without some stranger in the background.
    Fascinating.

Advertisement