Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

bobbyg wrote: »
    That quote was given hours after the incident and was completely accurate at the time.

Well it should be amended now as there are still people commenting that they hope he is found..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

jasper100 wrote: »
    Again one of his Trinity professor bellend colleagues, was ramping the charity angle to RTE news. Peddling downright lies.

His decision to climb Mount Everest to support the Barretstown children's charity

Continuously calling people bellends is a bit ****, not really sure why you continue to do so. There are ways of making points without being horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Well it should be amended now as there are still people commenting that they hope he is found..

He may not be alive but they can still hope that he is found...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

People are still posting and donating today hoping he is found alive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The chances of his body being recovered down the mountain are as slim as him being found alive. His body is 8km up a freezing mountain not on a hill somewhere.
    The chances of someone dying in his recovery or just as bad suffering severe frostbite ending their careers as mountain guides are far higher.

• Advertisement

Sorry, not clear enough, they are saying he could be found alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

So does anyone actually know that comments have been deleted?

jasper100 wrote: »
    People are still posting and donating today hoping he is found alive.

Just had a look there and couldn't see any such comments, guess they must have been deleted! Anyhow I doubt anyone believes he is alive at this stage

Just had a look there and couldn't see any such comments, guess they must have been deleted! Anyhow I doubt anyone believes he is alive at this stage
    They are deleting comments that he is dead and deleting comments that he could be alive! Its like communist China. Its good that we have the beady eyes of AH posters to monitor this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The person who set the page up, most likely did so with the best intentions to raise as much as possible to help him.

The family would have been clearly advised that he is most likely not alive at this point but maybe the number one thing on their mind isn't to update a gofundme page.

I severely doubt the person that set it up is sitting there gleefully, after his colleagues recent passing. The money should be accounted for but the time to be asking that is when the fundraising has ended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This person was retrieved from 8,400m, 10 days after she died. But this was more straightforward, I think, in that they knew where she was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriya_Shah-Klorfine

5 hours ago.

Please God let him be found alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

The way some people are going on here would make you laugh , you'd swear they were on the public accounts committee such is their concern about this money people donated OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL.

Pure and utter begrudgery and narrow mindedness it is from insinuations of fraud to uncalled for comments about the man and his family. Plus ca change...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

It's a bizarre undertaking.

Extremely dangerous, extremely expensive. Just buy a plot and a headstone if you want to pay respects.

Really don't understand why they need to have his actual dead body there. What difference does it make?

Blaizes wrote: »
    The way some people are going on here would make you laugh , you'd swear they were on the public accounts committee such is their concern about this money people donated OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL.

Pure and utter begrudgery and narrow mindedness it is from insinuations of fraud to uncalled for comments about the man and his family. Plus ca change...

begrudgery? Yes I am sure everyone is jealous that they haven't been killed on Everest. That is going to be the primary reason alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

D.Q wrote: »
    It's a bizarre undertaking.

Extremely dangerous, extremely expensive. Just buy a plot and a headstone if you want to pay respects.

Really don't understand why they need to have his actual dead body there. What difference does it make?

Yeah. I am religious and when I go to my loved ones grave it's just to have a personal moment and to reflect. It be a weird thought if I felt I was going to talk with them beneath the ground. But it's so raw and in their heads now they want to have a send off, see him for the last time. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing but for them now, that's all they see.

Its being advertised as a search and rescue. They want 750000 for it, even though any previous recoveries are being quoted around 50k

Rte ramped it. His trinity colleagues championed a charity angle.

People are still donating believing he might be found alive.

This person was retrieved from 8,400m, 10 days after she died. But this was more straightforward, I think, in that they knew where she was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriya_Shah-Klorfine

She was on the main route so relatively easy to bring down compared to Lawless who has yet to be found. Its possible he fell down a crevice. Locating him could be the easy part, but sounds like he's a long way from the beaten path.

Lucky none of the Sherpas that will be risking their lives to bring him back have kids or families.

For every sherpa who makes it rich from westerners there's probably another who dies trying or suffers longtern injuries.
    There's nothing glamorous about climbing Everest.

• Advertisement

Lucky none of the Sherpas that will be risking their lives to bring him back have kids or families.

I wonder if they die will trinity launch another go fund me page?

Probably not, I guess the bodies will just be dumped into a crevice next spring before holidaymakers start arriving again.

Cant be spoiling the view for the tourists now.

It's not begrudgery or narrow mindedness, ordinary people are parting with their cash in the belief that this is a rescue mission and the big nasty insurance company are doing nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

She was on the main route so relatively easy to bring down compared to Lawless who has yet to be found. Its possible he fell down a crevice. Locating him could be the easy part, but sounds like he's a long way from the beaten path.

Well, no, it was in death zone so not easy at all, even relative to Lawless. Lives would have been risked. As I said somewhere in this thread, anyone who has had their legs numbed by an epidural knows how heavy one’s own limbs are. And that’s at near sea-level.

It's not begrudgery or narrow mindedness, ordinary people are parting with their cash in the belief that this is a rescue mission and the big nasty insurance company are doing nothing

Nobody donating at this stage believes it's a rescue mission, it's been widely reported that it is a recovery mission since Sunday.

Nobody donating at this stage believes it's a rescue mission, it's been widely reported that it is a recovery mission since Sunday.
    3.2.1...….

A quick look at the page says otherwise
    redmgar wrote: »
    3.2.1...….

You're adding nothing to the discussion which in the main has been quite reasonable.

Comment on the gofundme within the last hour
    its just amazing how people are coming together to give money your all amazing and to think the insurance company would not pay out shame on you-you will lose a lot of clients over this please come home xxxx

A quick look at the page says otherwise

You're adding nothing to the discussion which in the main has been quite reasonable.
    On Queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Maybe he had achieved all he wanted to and chose not to return

• Advertisement

Apart from the guy 32 minutes ago. And 2 more earlier today.

Advertisement