Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Jon Krakauer's book Into thin Air was written over 20 years ago. Even then the commercial side of climbing Everest was a huge issue and played a huge part in the huge death toll in 1996 when 8 died on one day.

Everest used to be only attempted by passionate and hugely experienced mountaineers after years and years of learning the ropes on lower ranges. Not being of that ilk greatly increases your risk of death.

I would however be very sympathetic to the family in their desire to recover the body. I realise its reckless in terms of the risks to many others, but the poor family are psychotic with grief right now. People should bere that it mind when commenting.

Getting the body back is a huge part of the grieving process. I unfortunately needed to do it 2 years ago and it that time and place I wasn't remotely rational. It didn't put lives at risk but I'm not sure I've have been easy to talk to if it did.

There's a young man dead, a wife widowed, two children who will have no father and a whole circle of family and friends in shock and pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwK1doSx1R8

13 seconds in...

I believe that's camp 3 they are coming from.

why and how could this still appeal to people anymore is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Can you imagine the family of the female climber knowing she made it down safely and is going back up.
    I feel sick on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Hoboo wrote: »
    I did all that maths last week, I thought zero was raised and agree with you.......I'm just posting that there does seem to be an official charity page, that is all. I'm very much on team 'this is nonsense'.

Would I be right in saying that a trinity college based government quango known as The ADAPT centre are helping fund these holidays.

Anybody have any idea how much the tax payer is ponying up for all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm widowed, I'm raising a child. My wife died in tragic circumstances.

Sorry to hear that man, hope you and your kid are doing better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Allinall

jasper100 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that a trinity college based government quango known as The ADAPT centre are helping fund these holidays.

“Government quango.”?

And you expect people to take your posts seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I presume that there's no money coming from ADAPT or TCD to fund this trip other than what colleagues privately donated. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think ADAPT was simply where he worked.

Edit:

Jasper is correct. The link shows ADAPT are one of the sponsors.

Allinall wrote: »
    “Government quango.”?

And you expect people to take your posts seriously?

Who owns this ADAPT centre so, if not the taxpayer?

Go on, tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Shemale wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that man, hope you and your kid are doing better

Thank you.
    We are, we are both doing great and so is our family.
    It's been 12yrs now, and time has moved on.
    We were lucky enough to keep our head above water through the worst of times and even luckier to have support of family and friends.

I've since remarried and life is good.
    Better in fact than I thought it ever could be for a long long time.

boombang wrote: »
    I presume that there's no money coming from ADAPT or TCD to fund this trip other than what colleagues privately donated. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think ADAPT was simply where he worked.

Its in the answer to the 4th last question. Maybe I am wrong but the ADAPT centre are funded by another quango, the science foundation.

https://irishsevensummits.com/everest-2019-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This thread has made me look up some of the Everest stuff - and the original climb was an incredible achievement.

Looking at that line of people - it is a bit of a joke.

It would make you wonder how on earth anyone could fall considering the amount of fixed ropes etc.

Even oxygen technology is far more advanced.

I still think - this thread is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Who owns this ADAPT centre so, if not the taxpayer?

Go on, tell me.

I only think that's relevant if ADAPT put money towards the initial expedition or the GoFundMe campaign.

Edit:

Jasper is correct. The link shows ADAPT are one of the sponsors.

I only think that's relevant if ADAPT put money towards the initial expedition or the GoFundMe campaign.

They did, according to Seamus Lawless anyway.

I'd agree with this.
    Unless they actively funded it, it's a red herring.
    And it being his place of employment isn't really the same as directly giving funding.

Edit:
    Jasper is right! ADAPT gave direct funding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One of the corporate sponsors.

cdfae1ada69be38a6f86354e5726603e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Its in the answer to the 4th last question. Maybe I am wrong but the ADAPT centre are funded by another quango, the science foundation.

https://irishsevensummits.com/everest-2019-interview/

You're putting two and two together and getting 4 and running a mile. Have you evidence that SFI or Adapt part funded the expedition. Because if not your ramblings are less than helpful.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    You're putting two and two together and getting 4 and running a mile. Have you evidence that SFI or Adapt part funded the expedition. Because if not your ramblings are less than helpful.

They were only one of many(6?) sponsors.

Jasper is correct. The link states that ADAPT did provide corporate funding. I'm surprised by this and don't consider it appropriate (I work for TCD).

I would like to know was the funding in the hundreds of thousands.

tuxy wrote: »
    One of the corporate sponsors.

cdfae1ada69be38a6f86354e5726603e.png

That's a vindication of Jasper's point I suppose.
    I'm not at all in agreement with that use of funding.
    One would imagine with a digital marketing expert on board, taxpayer funding would not be needed.

That said, I still think any subsidising of a fund raising adventure holiday is a poor use of resources and certainly should not be a use for taxpayers money.

That ADAPT is funded by SFI is typical.

That public research funding is being used to fund holidays is concerning to me. I would not adopt the same tone as some of the other contributors though.

sullivlo wrote: »

Very sad news, thoughts go out to Ravi's family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Jasper is correct. The link states that ADAPT did provide corporate funding. I'm surprised by this and don't consider it appropriate (I work for TCD).

I would like to know was the funding in the hundreds of thousands.

I used to work for a similar research group and find it unusual that they are a sponsor. I'd be surprised if it was any serious amount of money but on the face of it it does look questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

paths of glory jeffrey archer is a nice, short little book if this kind of everest stuff interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

yes raising 25000 for charity... How selfish of him :rolleyes:

You're probably one of those who looks at suicide victims as selfish as well, aren't you?

Stupid comment.

Do you think that €25,000 raised for charity will help his wife and kids sleep better at night?

Fcuking hell.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I used to work for a similar research group and find it unusual that they are a sponsor. I'd be surprised if it was any serious amount of money but on the face of it it does look questionable.

I would really like to know how much public money was spent on this ill-fated holiday with the change going to charity. I have to account for my expenditure very carefully; such use of research funding would not be approved in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What’s the situation with Revenue re Gofundme earnings, does anybody here know?
    tuxy wrote: »
    My understanding(open to correction) is that any money raised like this to a person or organisation that's not a registered charity will be taxed in the same way as any other source of income.

It would probably fall under the annual gift exemption of €3,000 per year per person giving the gift so wouldn’t be subject to taxation. Kind of like how people don’t pay tax on wedding gifts because rarely would anyone get more than €3,000 from any one individual.

Blaizes wrote: »
    The way some people are going on here would make you laugh , you'd swear they were on the public accounts committee such is their concern about this money people donated OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL.

Pure and utter begrudgery and narrow mindedness it is from insinuations of fraud to uncalled for comments about the man and his family. Plus ca change...

Do you know what that word means?

False pretences is still false pretences, PAC my hole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Update from the gofundme page, for those interested:

We would like to extend our thanks to all who have shown such support to the Lawless family at this very difficult time. We'd like to give an update on the plans for the search operation for Shay. The weather is improving on Everest and tomorrow the search will resume. The expedition team, led by Noel Hanna with eight highly skilled Sherpas, has flown to Camp II and will commence their search from Camp IV tomorrow, which is not far from where Shay went missing. The team are also using drone technology to assist them in the search operation and our thoughts and hopes are with them.
    Help spread the word!

Putting 9 lives in danger with a very real chance of another fatality. Madness.

Speaking of which - another death on Everest today http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/05/22/everest-2019-american-dead-on-everest/

Putting 9 lives in danger with a very real chance of another fatality. Madness.

Speaking of which - another death on Everest today http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/05/22/everest-2019-american-dead-on-everest/
    It’s now reported that Don summited after an extremely long push, over 12 hours, and became unconscious on the descent. The sherpas performed CPR and were able to revive him. They then moved him to the Hillary Step where he was caught in a traffic jam for 2-3 hours. It was here that he passed out again and took his last breaths. His body is said not recoverable and friends add “his final resting place will probably exactly where he wanted.”

So it was a "traffic jam" that was responsible for his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

"Don summited after an extremely long push, over 12 hours, and became unconscious on the descent. The sherpas performed CPR and were able to revive him. They then moved him to the Hillary Step where he was caught in a traffic jam for 2-3 hours. It was here that he passed out again and took his last breaths. His body is said not recoverable and friends add “his final resting place will probably exactly where he wanted.”

That bit is really grim and says a lot about how Everest is now just a big conveyor belt, you pay your money and you roll the dice.

(edit: as noted by Tuxy in the post previous to mine)

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    We are, we are both doing great and so is our family.
    It's been 12yrs now, and time has moved on.
    We were lucky enough to keep our head above water through the worst of times and even luckier to have support of family and friends.

I've since remarried and life is good.
    Better in fact than I thought it ever could be for a long long time.

That's great, fair play :)

Advertisement