Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

tuxy wrote: »
    So it was a "traffic jam" that was responsible for his death.

No. Altitude sickness was responsible for his death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

and getting to a lower altitude in a 2-3 period would have greatly increased his chances of survival. maybe not, but stuck at the same altitude for that long gave him no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I take it that this traffic jam is a result of the recent bad weather and now many people are trying to summit on the same day.
    This will probably be another danger to add to the list for the recovery mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

No, people will survive X hours in the death zone. No traffic at all and he may have made it down. Maybe the traffic jam on the way up increased his time in the death zone too.

His body will probably be dumped over the side, to move it out of view of tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The high amount of people all going up at the same time greatly increases danger because it slows everyone down. Even faster climbers.

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    I would really like to know how much public money was spent on this ill-fated holiday with the change going to charity. I have to account for my expenditure very carefully; such use of research funding would not be approved in my area.

Bear in mind too how one of his colleagues was ramping the go fund me page to RTE news.

His decision to climb Mount Everest to support the Barretstown children's charity

Seamus appears to have raised less than 2K towards the charity.

I wonder did the taxpayers part sponsorship of this holiday exceed 2K?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

The Sherpas should set two lines. One for up one for down. Ease the traffic congestion and improve safety.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OwlsZat wrote: »
    The Sherpas should set two lines. One for up one for down. Ease the traffic congestion and improve safety.
    Fairly sure they do

Unfortunately that's akin to the extra lane on the M50. More capacity and even more people will want to use it, leaving each line just as busy.

It would probably fall under the annual gift exemption of €3,000 per year per person giving the gift so wouldn’t be subject to taxation. Kind of like how people don’t pay tax on wedding gifts because rarely would anyone get more than €3,000 from any one individual.

Phew, that could be a handy way of getting a few bob without the taxman being bothered. I’m suffering quite a bit of pain for a while and had to retire early because of it, maybe I should set up an aul Gofundme to maintain my old lifestyle. I’ve bona fide disability credentials and find the confinement of my surroundings s bit much. So if I could get enough €3K from kind souls with a bit to spare it would sponsor the world cruise, tax free, which would help ease my sufferings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

f*ck sake...we're heading into boards.ie expertise level and sherpa advice comments. it was fairly modest up until now. ballsack's summit conquering utter bollocks post was very helpful in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Why do the Sherpas not have proper escalators installed (one up, one down) on the busy spots at this stage to reduce the risk of slipping and delay? With todays solar panels to power them and low temperature greases, it should be well possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

f*ck sake...we're heading into boards.ie expertise level and sherpa advice comments. it was fairly modest up until now. ballsack's summit conquering utter bollocks post was very helpful in this regard.

I'll leave my practical thinking outside the thread. Now that crusty jocks is qualified to evaluate how difficult that would be verses recovering % more bodies over a season. Thank heavens you arrived in time.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 soenow what

or just let people climb from the chinese side, and then head down the Nepal side...

jasper100 wrote: »
    No, people will survive X hours in the death zone. No traffic at all and he may have made it down. Maybe the traffic jam on the way up increased his time in the death zone too.

His body will probably be dumped over the side, to move it out of view of tourists.

Is tourist some kind of insulting word for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Phew, that could be a handy way of getting a few bob without the taxman being bothered. I’m suffering quite a bit of pain for a while and had to retire early because of it, maybe I should set up an aul Gofundme to maintain my old lifestyle. I’ve bona fide disability credentials and find the confinement of my surroundings s bit much. So if I could get enough €3K from kind souls with a bit to spare it would sponsor the world cruise, tax free, which would help ease my sufferings.

Now, I’m not 100% sure of that and it’d probably still be flagged by Revenue and require a tax return be completed, even if no tax was due as it’s an amount considerably higher than what people would usually receive in total as wedding gifts.

Anyone know if it would in any way be considered income rather than gifts by Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ya I get unclipping to go around someone. Thought you have two clips though. You clip one off and round the obstacle before removing the 2nd...i.e. always have a safety

Also interested on what happened his Sherpa. Did he get sick and have to run?

Just a guess but he might have clipped off the line to sit down and take a rest and when he stood up again with fatigue he got dizzy and fell. Whatever happened him no one was around to see it, AFAIK his sherpa got altitude sickness and needed to get down below 8,000m quickly as a result so went on ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Firstly, I too would like to say that some of the comments here have been in bad taste and quite mean spirited. I've avoided posting till now for that reason.

Regarding the current mission though, it does seem an impossible task. Before the team can even attempt to retrieve Lawless, they will need to locate him.

The balcony itself is at 8300m, well into the Death Zone. You should be aiming to spend as little time as possible here and you don't really want to go wandering around too much with no direction. It's been mentioned that they have a general idea of where he might have fell from other climbers, but he could also have fallen quite a distance or could be obscured in a crevasse, under snow, etc.

So, it's a dangerous mission. I don't know if they got in fresh Sherpas to help but, In particular, it seems a mistake for Copeland to go back up, whatever about Hanna. Hanna has massive experience at least, but even then Everest has claimed any number of top Mountaineers. Worry the emotion has got the better of them on this.

a8e9f2b6fac66d36d1761c9c30b10f5d.jpg

Jenny Copeland has 4 kids. Insane decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

Tried to climb Mt Everest, died. As many before him did. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If nothing else this thread has been hugely educational on the extreme risks involved in climbing such a mountain.
    It’s been fascinating learning about all the difference aspects involved in taking on such a challenge.
    The stories of some of the deaths and tragedies are haunting.

• Advertisement

This thread is going around in circles. Time to close it down - your words

Aparently China has more regulation on the Tibet/China side, if you wish to summit on that side and you are a Chinese National you must have previous experience at 8000m+

Is tourist some kind of insulting word for you?

Not sure what your point is. Government officials arrange for dumping of bodies over the side, out of view, so as not to hinder the tourist trade.

I am merely stating the facts here.

jasper100 wrote: »
    Not sure what your point is. Government officials arrange for dumping of bodies over the side, out of view, so as not to hinder the tourist trade.

I am merely stating the facts here.

Would you like them to leave the bodies there where they've died and risk killing more climbers trying to get around them.

Your issue with the GFM is ok, but everything else seems to be some kind of condescending nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Is Mount Everest easier to climb than what we are ' led' to believe!? Like in the last 20yrs or so it seems people are queuing up to give it a go.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 soenow what

kissthesky wrote: »
    Tried to climb Mt Everest, died. As many before him did. Move on.
    youtube. com/watch?v=TKOrr4XRbg8

God be with the days when I left Tipp Town at 4am in a hailstorm to cross the Galtees with a donkey to fetch turf from the bog in Kerry. Used to break off a slate of granite on the way and do my homework on it as myself and Neddy trotted along. We laughed as we joked that it was like working from home....little did we know that the internet was going to be invented 59 years later. Anyway, back over the Galtees barefoot and chewing on the remains of a dried pigeon to keep us going, Neddy happy out with the turf to get back home to boil the kettle for my cup of tay and an oul sack ful of oats for himself. Sure I could go on.......

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

kissthesky wrote: »
    God be with the days when I left Tipp Town at 4am in a hailstorm to cross the Galtees with a donkey to fetch turf from the bog in Kerry. Used to break off a slate of granite on the way and do my homework on it as myself and Neddy trotted along. We laughed as we joked that it was like working from home....little did we know that the internet was going to be invented 59 years later. Anyway, back over the Galtees barefoot and chewing on the remains of a dried pigeon to keep us going, Neddy happy out with the turf to get back home to boil the kettle for my cup of tay and an oul sack ful of oats for himself. Sure I could go on.......

Please don’t.

Is Mount Everest easier to climb than what we are ' led' to believe!? Like in the last 20yrs or so it seems people are queuing up to give it a go.

If you want to attempt it all it takes is money as there are more companies than ever competing for the wealthiest clients, the less experience you have the more money it will take. Something you can't pay for is how well your body naturally reacts to such extreme altitude.
    You could do a safer(yet still very dangerous) 7000m or 8000m climb before to see how your body deals with it but "aint nobody got time for that"

• Advertisement

Would you like them to leave the bodies there where they've died and risk killing more climbers trying to get around them.

Your issue with the GFM is ok, but everything else seems to be some kind of condescending nonsense.

Have you a link to show that they move bodies to stop climbers killing themselves getting around them?

No, didnt think so.

All I am doing is stating the facts.

They dump bodies out of sight because they dont want it to affect the tourist trade.

No point having a go at me for merely stating what they do.

Advertisement