Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    One way to ease congestion and still let the sherpas make their money from the mountain would be to raise the prices again for tourists

Only allow the teams with the least amount of casualties to run teams and have a load of sherpas still doing their jobs , charge more and they can pay more to the Sherpa people ,

Like if it’s 50k to climb now , make it 250k that and once that happens the queues won’t be long shortening !

RIP to those who lost their lives and thanks to all contributors for such an informative thread , I have always found Everest fascinating

Not very fair on real mountaineers though is it. It will make it even worse if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It’s actually madness what’s going on up there at the moment. Queue from 250-300 climbers on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1131834739076153344

Is that the sixth time the same photo has been posted?

Call me na, but why don't they build a f*cking ski lift to get the gear some of the way up there and while there at it some of the westerners!

I remember feeling sorry for the donkeys on Santorini carrying westerners up the slopes. Turns out they have the life of riley compared to the Sherpa porters.

Disgraceful exploitation of desperate poor people imo and underlines just how racist our world continues to be.

Nepal in a lot of areas, including in parts of the capital Kathmandu does not have paved roads. I'm sure ski lifts up the mountain is no problem. When there are no roads to the bottom of the mountain and you need to walk for a week to get to base camp in the first place.

It would be cheaper to put a plastic bag over your head and try to climb Carrauntoohil. Just put a tiny pinhole in the plastic bag so it's very hard to breath but not impossible. You could do it on a cold day without any clothes.

If you experimented with the size of the pinhole you could probably have it so a similar percentage of people died as Everest. Just to make it authentic. But it would be a lot easier to recover the bodies. And you could just rip the plastic bag off if you chickened out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yeh it was more tongue in cheek. I always think there has to be a better way though rather than using your fellow humans as little more than pack mules. In fact if it was done to animals there'd be outrage and the animal rights folks would be all over it.

Get your outrage ready :)

In the lower valleys donkeys are used a lot for porting.
    They send the donkeys ahead and a herder will take up the rear.
    You learn fairly quickly to keep in out of the way of the donkeys because they won't pause/keep in, even for a hearty well pronounced 'Nameste'

Up higher Yaks are used.
    On a side trip from Namche one year, I was lucky enough to meet a caravan of them having coming over the Nangpa La pass from Tibet.
    I was also very grateful that they put bells on them, because the Yaks and their herders make the donkeys look positively polite.

But neither animal would be much good at the icefall.
    Remember how in the Famous Five Timmy couldn't use ladders ?

• Advertisement

At least six times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It’s actually madness what’s going on up there at the moment. Queue from 250-300 climbers on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1131834739076153344
    That's mad Ted, it looks like they will need an extra lane up there, for all that traffic.

A couple of extra hours in the death zone, all that extra clipping and unclipping, its all increasing the chances of fatalities.

We should organise a gofundme campaign to buy them another rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

josip wrote: »

Timmy was a waste of Pedigree chum :

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

p034p90s_1.jpg

Conga-Line-2012-1.jpg

It’s like queuing for a ride in Disney World, only colder, with less oxygen, and you’re putting your life and the life of your guides at risk.

traffic-jam-768x1024.jpg

Have a look at some of their backpacks, flat and almost empty with the Sherpas carrying the heavy loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Ben Fogle mentioned a lottery system. Might help a bit. And people with zero to little experience at the higher altitudes shouldn't be allowed full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I winder are the queues now causing people to be up there too long and are dieing .?

That seems to be the situation ...

This season:
    Nepal has issued a record 381 permits ...

Ang Tsering Sherpa, former president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association, said that the weather window to summit this season was narrow, meaning that many teams were still waiting to go up.

“Spending a long time above the death zone increases the risk of frostbite, altitude sickness and even death,” he said.

https://zululandobserver.co.za/afp/732291/three-more-deaths-on-overcrowded-everest/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

My take on all this is that these people all seem to have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Gofundme just updated. Search called off. Hopefully all involved will get back down with no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Here's the update;

We, the Lawless family would like to extend their gratitude for the huge outpouring of support we have received since Shay went missing on Mount Everest last week and to all who donated towards the search operation. In just six days, over €267,000 was donated by more than 7,300 people. Your generosity has been overwhelming and your messages of support mean so much to us. The GoFundMe campaign was instrumental in helping us fund an experienced search team for Shay. Unfortunately it was not successful. While the experienced search team has made every effort to locate Shay, the extremes of operating at high altitude and the sheer range of the search area ultimately proved too difficult and based on expert advice we have decided to call off the search rather than risk endangering anyone's life in the treacherous conditions.

This search operation will be paid for out of this fund and the final cost is still not clear. When it is, it is our wish that any amount above the cost of the search will be accordingly refunded to donors and we will work with the GoFundMe team on that. Although the search mission was unsuccessful we will never forget the kindness and generosity of people in Ireland and around the world who were moved by this tragedy and who came together to try and help us. In particular we’d like to extend our appreciation to the search team led by Noel Hanna, the Sherpas, and to the Ireland on Everest team, Shay’s climbing partners, for doing everything in their power to find Shay for us. The backing we have received from the Irish Government, Barretstown Children’s Charity, Trinity College Dublin and the ADAPT Centre has been tremendous and is a small indication of Shay’s legacy. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Another Irishman died on Everest today. When is somebody going to shout stop to this lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That update reads like someone knows that a certain number of the public weren't happy with how the money was going to be spent. Or perhaps they read this thread.

Anyway, may he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Another Irishman died on Everest today. When is somebody going to shout stop to this lunacy.

Everyone have free will..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

josip wrote: »
    Get your outrage ready :)

In the lower valleys donkeys are used a lot for porting.
    They send the donkeys ahead and a herder will take up the rear.
    You learn fairly quickly to keep in out of the way of the donkeys because they won't pause/keep in, even for a hearty well pronounced 'Nameste'

Up higher Yaks are used.
    On a side trip from Namche one year, I was lucky enough to meet a caravan of them having coming over the Nangpa La pass from Tibet.
    I was also very grateful that they put bells on them, because the Yaks and their herders make the donkeys look positively polite.

But neither animal would be much good at the icefall.
    What about the two legged donkeys getting their photos at Everest ready for their Facebooketc ****e?
    Photos having Christmas dinner on Bondi Beach are so last century for the attention seeking gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

NIMAN wrote: »
    That update reads like someone knows that a certain number of the public weren't happy with how the money was going to be spent. Or perhaps they read this thread.

Anyway, may he RIP.

I agree.
    The other thing is how can they refund some donations and not others, once the cost of the search is taken out of the total. Unless they refund a certain percentage of each donation accordingly.

Still makes for sad reading. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lunacy of what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭styo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm wondering why his crampon was off him, they are pretty strong pieces of equipment and if fitted right to your boots they shouldnt come off. Theres a chance he was going through hypoxia when the brain is shutting down and tricks you into doing things you would never otherwise do. Lots of climbers who die have been found semi naked as the brain tricks them into believing that they are overheating when really they're suffering from extreme hypothermia. Seamus taking his crampon off might have been a part of this.

Holy fcuk, another two kids left behind :mad:

We will never know. Perhaps it simply came loose as he tried to arrest his slide down the slope.

The family have called off the search, and as was suggested by some that they would do, will seek to return the funding raised above and beyond that spent on the search to date to donors.

I hope the family find peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

screamer wrote: »
    Everyone have free will..........

I've no problem with them choosing their own death as it were. My problem is that the media choose to portray them as heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

mattser wrote: »
    Absolutely. They have more to do with their lives than be couch potato keyboard warriors.

Yeah like leaving their families without a parent / spouse, aren't they just overflowing with the milk of human kindness and role models for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

People fall off balconies in spain all the time. Should we call for spain to be shut for tourism too. If people want to climb mountains thats their choice. No one forces them up there. As for the sherpas they do it for money but its their own choice too.

Yeah more sad news.

Kevin Hynes, 56. From Galway
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/second-irish-mountaineer-dies-on-everest-in-little-over-a-week-38145247.html

But as said, people deciding to climb are all adults. They are making the decision, not us. Its their call.

Problem for these deaths now is that there will soon be Everest fatigue, and any attempts to raise money for his family or a body retrieval will not fetch much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If a 73 old granny can climb Everest, how hard can it be?

Young men die too climbing it, so not sure what that says.

I've no problem with them choosing their own death as it were. My problem is that the media choose to portray them as heroes.

Climbing a big ass mountain, yea I think that's something to be celebrated and respected

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭styo

Jeremy, might I be so bold as to suggest that whether it is heroism or hubris, perhaps it's time to put it to rest?

There is little to be gained beyond noting that either way, it is a tragedy for all involved.

• Advertisement

I've been hill walking for almost 20 years, not a fcuking hope I could

Advertisement