Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

You'd imagine there are friends who donated 1000s that might like or need some of their money back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

You seem delightful.

You don't. You obviously don't have an issue with some of the posts here from the likes of that guy you're defending so wholeheartedly. Joking and slandering a decent man who died is ok with you? Delightful indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Tentative about asking as I've seen this question asked before,and have probably missed an answer to it..
    Looking at that much quoted picture,does the queue going back down use the same rope and have to unclip from the rope for each person they pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Wailin wrote: »
    You don't. You obviously don't have an issue with some of the posts here from the likes of that guy you're defending so wholeheartedly. Joking and slandering a decent man who died is ok with you? Delightful indeed.

In fairness the lad came back and held his hand up to say “oops, I was posting from an ill informed place and I got it wrong”

How many people on this website have the integrity to do that, as opposed to saying “yeah, I’m gonna stay away from that thread cos i fcked up bit I’m not going to go back and allow them take the piss out of me”

Wailin wrote:

Joking and slandering a decent man who died is ok with me is the first place you went to?

Hmmm.. you could see it like that, or you could say that I'm delighted to see someone hold themselves accountable for being wrong. It's rare and refreshing for people to educate themselves and change their opinion rather than doubling down and teaming up with like minded individuals.

Perhaps the reason it doesnt happen that often here is that when they do, they get abused by people.

We aren't all experts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Tentative about asking as I've seen this question asked before,and have probably missed an answer to it..
    Looking at that much quoted picture,does the queue going back down use the same rope and have to unclip from the rope for each person they pass?

Not a bad question because it hasn't been answered.
    I'm not sure what the setup is this year.
    Each year the large expedition companies setup ropes so it's slightly different every time.
    All I've heard for sure is this year there are 2 - 3 hour wait times to start coming back down from the step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I see it’s reported a British chap died in similar circumstances today or yesterday on Everest. Mont Blanc & Aconcagua were on his resume, another Seven Summit aspirant??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Agree completely. If anything this entire incident from when Seamus Lawless went missing has made me so skeptical about these “charity fundraisers” in aid of sick children, cancer research, Goal, UNICEF, Barnardos, Barretstown, CRC etc.

It seems it’s actually just a way of getting a free trip out to these places fully paid for by the public, and the charity gets any leftovers (in the case of Seamus Lawless none). It really beggars belief how people on these trips to Everest and other places are considered “heroes”.

If you pay for it fully out of your own pocket fire ahead, it’s a free world.

My feelings are Everest should be closed and cleaned up , things up there are getting a bit out of hand.

A friend of a friend did the Kilimanjiro climb a few years back, he raised (now this is what i recall) about 5 grand for his nominated charity, they only seen 1500 though as the rest paid for his trip.
    Thats why i will never donate to these things, i'm not paying for your adventure holiday

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I see it’s reported a British chap died in similar circumstances today or yesterday on Everest. Mont Blanc & Aconcagua were on his resume, another Seven Summit aspirant??

Another guy without an 8000m on his list attempting Everest?
    Mont Blanc isn't the highest point in Europe so probably not a seven summits attempt.

tuxy wrote: »
    Another guy without an 8000m on his list attempting Everest?
    Mont Blanc isn't the highest point in Europe so probably not a seven summits attempt.

I think Mont Blanc is on THE list alright, along with Elbrus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Summits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time for a break with something a little lighter.

People doing parachute jumps get injured. So out every pound the charity jumpers raised for the NHS, it cost £13.75 to treat the injuries.

Parachuting for charity costs more money than it raises, carries a high risk of serious personal injury and places a significant burden on health resources.

I did a parachute jump and some friends were doing it at the same time. I paid for my jump but some "raised money for charity"
    It seemed dishonest to say it was for charity. Most people had to add a bit to what they had raised to pay the €300 the jump cost.
    A small number of people did manage about €500 so they could make a small donation after the jump was paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Seven summits are Everest, Elbrus, Kilimanjaro, Denali, Acongagua, Kosciuszko and Vinson. These are the traditional seven summits but there are other variations. I'd recommend Pat Falveys book Accidental Rebel, a Cork man who did the seven summits, south pole and first irishman to do everest from both north and south routes. Very enjoyable read.

I think Mont Blanc is on THE list alright, along with Elbrus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Summits

Yeah it seems some disagreement on the European border.
    One peak per continent is picked so the choice for Europe is Elbrus or Mont Blanc with most picking Elbrus.

I did a parachute jump and some friends were doing it at the same time. I paid for my jump but some "raised money for charity"
    It seemed dishonest to say it was for charity. Most people hu

ad to add a bit to what they had raised to pay the €300 the jump cost.
    A small number of people did manage about €500 so they could make a small donation after the jump was paid for.

Same with me, I did it with a friend, she was doing it for charity and had got donations, I paid for my own jump.
    I’ve always struggled with the corporate charity gigs. I’m very slow to go around looking for donations or shaking a bucket in someone’s face despite the fact I lost my daughter to cancer. It just goes against something in me .....collecting lots of money to do something exotic and risky.....for charity?
    Better to just donate the money directly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No it's on A list.

Europe is a large peninsula of Asia, like India ,
    or eastern Siberia where Klyuchevskaya Sopka is just 60m short of Mont Blanc and it's an active volcano not much older than Newgrange. No other ascents were recorded until 1931, when several climbers were killed by flying lava on the descent. :eek:

There's 12 higher mountains than Mont Blanc in Europe

Mount Ararat (of the Ark) is nearby and "the mountain is open to climbers only with "military permission ... those who venture off the approved path may be fired upon without warning" :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry to read about your daughter sweetmaggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It seemed dishonest to say it was for charity. Most people had to add a bit to what they had raised to pay the €300 the jump cost.

Many years ago a girl in work was looking for " sponsorship " to go to Machu Pichu for charity . I asked how much would go to charity after her flights , equipment , meals , guides , accommodation etc etc . Honestly I thought she had a nerve asking anyone to pay for her holiday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

IvoryTower wrote: »
    You'd imagine there are friends who donated 1000s that might like or need some of their money back

Pure nonsense. Think about what you just typed there. I don't even know where to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Look at the pictures they treating it like a bloody tourist attraction. I don't want to sound heartless now but surely climbing Everest is sheer insanity and anyone doing it should know the potential consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Look at the pictures they treating it like a bloody tourist attraction. I don't want to sound heartless now but surely climbing Everest is sheer insanity and anyone doing it should know the potential consequences.

Everyone doing it knows the risks

Everyone doing it knows the risks

I would think so, even the companies trying to get you to sign up make sure you know. But do the families back home understand the full extent of it?

Anyone else annoyed that Hillary's step is called that? If it's still there after the earthquake I think it should be renamed after Norgay Tenzing or both of their names should be used!

Just to get back to this bullshīt. This sort of revisionist attitude is extremely annoying and dangerous. People like this would have us rewrite history just so that they can appear woke and right on.

The facts are that Ed Hillary carved his way up, the now rightly called Hillary Step, alone and first. He then pulled Tenzing up. Tenzing wouldn't have had a clue how to climb that alone. He just didn't have those Alpine climbing skills or knowledge. To even suggest that the step should be called after Tenzing suggests a mindset that just wants to credit a minority race for the sake of it.

As for whether it was Hillary or Tenzing who summited first, that argument has long been settled. Of course it was Hillary. Although Tenzing had become an accredited and very much accepted member of the '53 team, and although it was his seventh attempt, there was no way he would have summited ahead of the senior member.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Although Tenzing had become an accredited and very much accepted member of the '53 team, and although it was his seventh attempt, there was no way he would have summited ahead of the senior member.

He was also a very important member of the 52 Swiss team when they were made it to the south col.
    And yes I don't see the issue, Hillary was first and very few people talk about it with out also giving Norgay his credit. They had different skill and made the perfect team for the final part of a large expedition that involved many people.

No it's on A list.

Doctors differ & patients die etc., but regardless of which list you fancy, the damage is done by promoting this Seven Summit idea as some sort of adventure challenge or personal development. It’s a dangerous form of list ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I would think so, even the companies trying to get you to sign up make sure you know. But do the families back home understand the full extent of it?

Do the companies make sure you know?? Someone posted a link to one of the expedition companies who said it was open to everyone from inexperienced climbers to experienced mountaineers. You just have to pay extra for guides to carry your kit and possibly you in the event of problems

Decent enough video here of an ascent via the more traditional South, Nepal route. Indian team of all women. It's not as good as the Chinese ascent video. No subtitles and no stats. But you're right there with them, and it's the best video I have seen of the climb through the Khumba Ice Fall.

https://youtu.be/nD9_XDumOSo

RoryMac wrote: »
    Do the companies make sure you know?? Someone posted a link to one of the expedition companies who said it was open to everyone from inexperienced climbers to experienced mountaineers. You just have to pay extra for guides to carry your kit and possibly you in the event of problems

I think they do because as I keep saying the danger is a big part of the attraction.
    The Wiki lists of deaths and what company fatalities are from and you can easily find out who was leading a team that had issues.

The very expensive companies seem to have less fatalities, better equipment, more sherpas and more oxegen.
    I read one report of a company that charges over $100,000 and offers as much oxygen as the client wants. The standard is 4 litres per minute near the top but their clients use 8 litres per minute. While you can't account for someone having very bad altitude sickness they wouldn't be lying if they claimed to be much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the burial and recovery of bodies on Everest (2017) - an account:

"Oleg Savchenko, Everest summiter in the team the 7 summits Club, a former Deputy of the Duma of the Russian Federation" details how he and a number of Sherpas helped 'bury' a fallen climber from Slovenia on Everest. Interestingly he says they did the same for the climber known as Greenboots - covering the body with stones.

Previously I've only heard that green boots disappeared presumed pushed over a ledge..

He also talks about a dead Irish Climber who they attempted to remove from climbing ropes he was attached to.

https://7summitsclub.com/news/all/item_7687/

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Sorry to read about your daughter sweetmaggie.

Thanks PC7, much appreciated, life sure throws us some curved balls.

Advertisement