Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

True, but at the same time it shouldn't be on the pretence of charity or risk of life to others.

There nothing you do in life that someone hasn't died at. Should we stop doing everything.

People seem to be confusing these big sponsored events with actual charities. I'm surprised people are that naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

gozunda wrote: »
    There has been some concerted efforts by the Chinese authorities and others to move or otherwise dispose of bodies along the main climbing routes in recent years. A case in point is Green Boots. Afaik - it is believed that he was disposed of by pushing the body off the mountain. To date the body had certainly not been repatriated to his family
    A fitting end for the guy, and where in the world would you find a better "final resting place" anyway?

I really don't see the point in bereaved relatives from Bray jetsetting off to Nepal to recover a body and bring it back to Ireland.
    Even if they succeed, the €75K and the countless tonnes of CO2 could be usefully spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

ED E wrote: »
    Mayyybe I'm a cold heartless SoB but:

The family are looking for 750k to attempt to recover him. Moving in the TCD circles he does Im sure they'll get it but it strikes me as a very poor use of public generosity. He engaged in a high risk endeavour and it didnt work out. Thats sad but should the charitable efforts of the public be so heavily expended to recover a cadaver? There'll always be a more needy cause if you choose to look for one but this seems very very far down the charitable book of quantum.

Money be better spent helping someone who started life at at a disadvantage through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Blazer wrote: »
    Mightn't be a scam but looking for 750k to hire a team of sherpas to look over Mt Everest to find a body is absolutely farcical not to mention a complete waste of money.
    Don't these people even read about Mt Everest and the other so called 8000 footers?

I’d say Barretstown could make better use of that €750k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Total nonsense trying to go back and retrieve his body, they'd be better off giving whatever is raised to barretstown and
    leaving him up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

recedite wrote: »

I really don't see the point in bereaved relatives from Bray jetsetting off to Nepal to recover a body and bring it back to Ireland.

Jetsetting? FFS. They're a family in mourning and shock going to a third world country, not off to Marbella to drink cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

recedite wrote: »

Really?
    smurgen wrote: »
    Money be better spent helping someone who started life at at a disadvantage through no fault of their own.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’d say Barretstown could make better use of that €750k.
    Total nonsense trying to go back and retrieve his body, they'd be better off giving whatever is raised to barretstown and
    leaving him up there

Hmm... hard to imagine why the people who just lost a husband/brother/son aren't acting more rationally and thinking more practically alright....

Whatever peoples thoughts are on the man's reasons for summiting, or the practical implications of recovering him from the mountain, it's important not to lose sight of the fact that someone still received that dreaded two-in-the-morning-phone-call. I very much imagine they are operating in "let's get him home" mode right now, which is natural, if not always feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

beauf wrote: »
    People seem to be confusing these big sponsored events with actual charities. I'm surprised people are that naive.
    well yes a lot of people are naive about this and hopefully this case will open a few eyes. Collecting money under the guise of charity "sponsorship" and then giving the small change left over to charity once your high octane holiday of a lifetime is paid for is, to me at least, taking advantage of people's good nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I actually feel quite angry about the gofundme. If you've read at all about high altitude climbing, you'd know that retrieving a body from the route at that altitude is nearly impossible, and puts the lives of the people involved at severe risk. That's from the ROUTE. This climber fell at least 500m off the route, it's impossible. Sherpas are not superhuman, as many of them die at altitude as other climbers. It's well known that above 8000m you take your life into your own hands. No-one can rescue you. It's immoral to try to pay people in a poor country to risk their lives, really risk their lives, for the impossible. I understand that grief would make you try everything, but it makes you wonder whether the climber really understood what he was getting in to, given that his family don't seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

This is very sad indeed that a guy has lost his life. Having said that he knew the risks.
    I was always sceptical of charity events which involved big adventures - who is actually gaining? Each to their own if you want to contribute to that.
    In this case, even if everyone got back safe, would Barrettstown have benefitted much - given the scale of the cost of doing the expedition in the first place?
    I feel sorry for the family, its a terrible situation. But I don't think anyone would want others being put at risk in that situation.
    And, at the end of the day, any additional funds would be better going to the initial charitable concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

ED E wrote: »
    Mayyybe I'm a cold heartless SoB but: The family are looking for 750k to attempt to recover him. Moving in the TCD circles he does Im sure they'll get it but it strikes me as a very poor use of public generosity.

I saw this, leading the RTE website this morning and I found it very hard to believe. This is the headline story right across the full page of the RTE website. He did not carry out this task on behalf of the country, is this man a pal of somebody in RTE or why is he getting this coverage?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0518/1050206-family-of-seamus-lawless-launch-fundraising-appeal/

I would ask anybody considering funding this to put their money towards Crumlin's Children's hospital or something more worthy. I think, above all, this sort of reckless behaviour needs to be discouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

inocybe wrote: »
    I actually feel quite angry about the gofundme. If you've read at all about high altitude climbing, you'd know that retrieving a body from the route at that altitude is nearly impossible, and puts the lives of the people involved at severe risk. That's from the ROUTE. This climber fell at least 500m off the route, it's impossible. Sherpas are not superhuman, as many of them die at altitude as other climbers. It's well known that above 8000m you take your life into your own hands. No-one can rescue you. It's immoral to try to pay people in a poor country to risk their lives, really risk their lives, for the impossible. I understand that grief would make you try everything, but it makes you wonder whether the climber really understood what he was getting in to, given that his family don't seem to.
    I agree. I had a massive rant about this as soon as I saw the go fund me page on the rte Facebook. It’s hard to know how I would act of it was one of my relatives, but surely risking the lives of the recovery team and spending such a huge amount of money isn’t sensible. The climber knew the risks, his wife is a climber too so knew the risks. I’d rather donate some money in his memory to Barrettstown (which I will do today). RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm disgusted that ppl are giving money to retrieve a body putting sherpas lives at risk. If you want to remember the man, give the money to charity in his name. If I had a choice of a hole in the ground with a few mangy flowers in leitrim or frozen for all eternity high up on mount Everest its a no brainer, Nepal here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

From a Google search the typical cost of climbing Everest is $45,000.

The cost is a whole lot higher in some cases. Very sad news.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

I agree. I had a massive rant about this as soon as I saw the go fund me page on the rte Facebook. It’s hard to know how I would act of it was one of my relatives, but surely risking the lives of the recovery team and spending such a huge amount of money isn’t sensible. The climber knew the risks, his wife is a climber too so knew the risks. I’d rather donate some money in his memory to Barrettstown (which I will do today). RIP

Agreed. Just checked and gofundme is at 87k already. Wonder will Barretstown get their 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't like being so cold and sharp about it, but he knew the risks he was taking when he was going up there. I don't think anyone else should be asked to risk their lives to retrieve his body.

His poor family must be going through hell, but jaysus what was he at with a child and a pregnant wife at home? At a certain point you have to change your life priorities to make sure you'll be there for the people who need you most.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Ger McDonnell fell to his death on K2 while assisting others ten years ago. His family did not endanger others by asking for a recovery operation. Other mountaineers did what they could. RTE covered the story as they should.
    The story in this case is revolving around the use of charitable fundraising to support personal adventures and an impossible recovery operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It's about time they stop people from climbing everest altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭jackboy

His poor family must be going through hell, but jaysus what was he at with a child and a pregnant wife at home? At a certain point you have to change your life priorities to make sure you'll be there for the people who need you most.

I’m sure his wife supported his venture 100% but to leave a child and pregnant wife at home to pursue such a dangerous vanity project is incredibly selfish. I can understand why they want to retrieve the body though, most families would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

tuxy wrote: »
    I believe insurance would cover helicopter rescue(weather permitting) and medical costs.
    I don't think any insurance would cover the recovering of cadavers.

That’s surprises me actually. I thought no insurer would be interested in that horse. What would you have to pay for that sort of insurance?

Considering that I’m not technically insured for travelling to a different office in my car insurance I’m wondering what the craic is with climbing Everest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whatever the ins and outs, he has lost his life and his family & friends, plus the Irish climbing community are grieving. May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I totally understand that the family want to bring home their loved one.
    But!
    Crowdfunding to raise money to pay other climbers and most likely Sherpa's to risk their lives to bring down the body of a climber from Everest is IMO a bit selfish!
    It's fairly well known that above certain heights in mountaineering, that if you die on the mountain...
    You stay on the mountain!

I'd also hope it will put a nail in the coffin of "adventure" style charity fundraising.
    Having a subsidised once in a lifetime event holiday on the back of a fundraising labelled as charity but when in actuality only a small portion of the money raised goes there is almost fraudulent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/ireland-on-everest-barretstown
    Is this the correct donation page for barrettstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

What are we like?

gofundme page now at 95k after 14 hours.

To put this in context, the gofundme page for the family of Mikolaj Wilk reached 23k after 11 months. They are the family who were left without a father/husband and a livelihood after witnessing his brutal murder in Cork last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yurt! wrote: »
    The RTE article states 75k.

I think it's important to be accurate, as in typical After Hours fashion, there's a confederation of know-it-alls in full swing trying to frame him and his family as greedy and irresponsible.

Stay classy AH.

The RTE newspaper roundup after the 08.00 news stated €750K.

As for being/staying classy, surely that would have been asking the wellwishers and sympathisers to contribute to Barretstown?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rdwight wrote: »
    What are we like?

To put this in context, the gofundme page for the family of Mikolaj Wilk reached 23k after 11 months. They are the family who were left without a father/husband and a livelihood after witnessing his brutal murder in Cork last year.
    We're a very contextual and tribal species and all too easily swayed by context and tribal affiliation. One guy is a working class murder victim and not "local", the other is a middle class charity hero who is local, so who gets the attention? Especially from those more likely to have a few quid to fire at the fund.

I mean consider this:
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I met Kami Rita Sherpa a few years back at Everest Base Camp,he holds the world record for summits of Everest and is currently on 23 with a whole load of other Sherpas not far behind him on the late teens. You dont go up and down Everest 23 times without accident unless you are a world class mountaineer. He definitely is as are all the climbing Sherpas operating on it.
    That man has summited Everest 23 bloody times, a feat no other westerner has come close to and I'd know a few of their names off the top of my head, yet this is the first time I've personally heard the chap's name.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Squatter wrote: »
    The RTE newspaper roundup after the 08.00 news stated €750K.

As for being/staying classy, surely that would have been asking the wellwishers and sympathisers to contribute to Barretstown?
    Indeed. That fund currently nearly at 90,000 euro would be better served being donated directly to the charities he was representing. That would be the noble thing and a far better memorial to help people who are alive and struggling. I have some hope that sense will prevail, but not much at the moment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've seen the GoFundMe link shared on social media this morning with the bring him home tagline. Its very emotive but without the context of the risks for those involved. Again, each to their own if you want to donate to that. I'd prefer to donate to the preferred good cause. Personally I believe the GoFundMe stuff is ill-conceived and many things you see on GoFundMe are debatable.

What are we like?

Yet 4 of them could only raise 7,450 for the cause they were risking their lives for. Their priorities are all wrong. Family first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

What are we like?

people are nothing more than sheep, fools and their money and all that ... I'm sure it'll be great comfort to his children that he lived to see his dream fulfilled, no graduation, no walk down the aisle with his daughter, no more family holidays, men driven like this are selfish and it is mostly men, what's wrong when a man becomes a father to settle down and focus on rearing and being their for them, what drives this type of person to do this type of thing and a young family at home.

And please don't use the excuse that it's in man's nature to explore, there is nothing left to explore, except the deepest ocean, nowhere on earth is inaccessible now, it's all been done, i could understand if it was to the betterment of society if he had lost his life in some distant inhospitable part of the world but to lose it on a guided tour up a mountain on the pretence of charity is nothing more than folly

Advertisement