Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Everyone doing it knows the risks

Watching The Fifth Estate segment on Shriya Shah, I wouldn’t be so sure. She didn’t seem fully clued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Did I hear a second Irish man has died on Everest this time in a tent at 7,300m again on his way down, it was his second time scaling Everest. You would wonder why someone would put themselves in such risky situations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Did I hear a second Irish man has died on Everest this time in a tent at 7,300m again on his way down, it was his second time scaling Everest. You would wonder why someone would put themselves in such risky situations

I am going to presume you did hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Watching The Fifth Estate segment on Shriya Shah, I wouldn’t be so sure. She didn’t seem fully clued in.

Was it just me or did everyone seem happy about the outcome, especially her husband?
    Expensive suicide, cheap divorce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Everyone doing it knows the risks

They do, but some think their ego means risks don't apply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He turned around on his way up on the North side route and sadly died in his tent. He previously had made the summit on the south side route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

tuxy wrote: »
    Was it just me or did everyone seem happy about the outcome, especially her husband?
    Expensive suicide, cheap divorce.

She seemed a bit of an oddball. Especially the staging photos in all the gear before the trip and then having the posters outside her tent. WTF was that all about?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Especially the staging photos in all the gear before the trip and then having the posters outside her tent. WTF was that all about?

simple enough, drumming up publicity, you have to remember, it's all about them

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

So which side is the hardest to climb? The North or South? I assume the South side is the most popular as it’s the one you hear about most often.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

So which side is the hardest to climb? The North or South? I assume the South side is the most popular as it’s the one you hear about most often.

The south side, higher success ratio less fatality rates most years, less bottlenecks but more permits. A bit warmer on the south side also. But there is not much in it and some years the statistics for the North side look better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

North side has more technical rock climbing (inc the 3 steps), and base camp is 3,000 ft higher than South side. South side has the Khumbu ice field and Hillary step.

More deaths have occured on the north side even though it's the least popular route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Would it not have made more sense to donate the money raised to Barretstown rather than refund it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Would it not have made more sense to donate the money raised to Barretstown rather than refund it?:confused:

Whatever your thoughts are on the original motive of the gofundme, the original donors donated to a search and rescue, not to a hospital or charity. Much fairer IMO to return the money and let the original donors decide if they want to donate elsewhere instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Dante7 wrote: »
    Pure nonsense. Think about what you just typed there. I don't even know where to begin.

I don't think so. I agree with the post above, people donated foe a reason, to take the money and give it to some other cause isn't fair imo

Imagine something happened your best friend and you donated thousands that you couldn't really afford, say you're saving for a house, you should get that money back if it wasn't used for the purpose you donated for

mike_ie wrote: »
    Whatever your thoughts are on the original motive of the gofundme, the original donors donated to a search and rescue, not to a hospital or charity. Much fairer IMO to return the money and let the original donors decide if they want to donate elsewhere instead.

100% refund since a search and rescue was never possible.
    Someone should start a fund for the family though as it does appear that many wish to help his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

YOu can drive to base camp on the Tibet side

RasTa wrote: »
    YOu can drive to base camp on the Tibet side

And you can get a helicopter to base camp on the Nepal side. Not recommended unless you have acclimatised to that altitude though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

corwill wrote:
    Exactly, I slap Nova onto every handset straight out of the box. I haven't used MiUi on a daily driver since the Mi3, but I found its aggressive RAM management a pain in the hoop, and the sheer quantity of superfluous bloatware was also irritating.

tuxy wrote:
    And you can get a helicopter to base camp on the Nepal side. Not recommended unless you have acclimatised to that altitude though.

If I was driving up the Tibet side I would follow an acclimatisation schedule too! Getting there quickly by car could kill.
    There is a train in Tibet (Qingzang train) which operates at altitude and offers oxygen to each passenger!

After the big Sherpa strike at EBC (Nepal) a few years back, a government minister came by chopper to try and mediate, he had to use O2 there due to the AMS risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,331 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Interesting to see this pop up on my Twitter this evening

https://twitter.com/nimsdai/status/1131931349030457345

WTF? That's crazy, I've never seen anything like it.:eek:

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

https://twitter.com/nimsdai/status/1131931349030457345

you'd be more original and pioneering if you stood at a bus stop

I’m glad to see those photos get reposted often. The more people who see them, the better. Maybe it’s just me and maybe it’s because Irish climbers have died but it feels like this year, awareness has really been heightened of the dangers of Everest. The base camp avalanche and the earthquake of recent years could probably be brushed off easier as freak occurrences but this year has shown that deaths occur for mundane reasons like the crowds keeping people in the death zone for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’m glad to see those photos get reposted often. The more people who see them, the better. Maybe it’s just me and maybe it’s because Irish climbers have died but it feels like this year, awareness has really been heightened of the dangers of Everest. The base camp avalanche and the earthquake of recent years could probably be brushed off easier as freak occurrences but this year has shown that deaths occur for mundane reasons like the crowds keeping people in the death zone for too long.

That and now people are getting a better understanding of what it’s like to climb it.

It’s like a package tour for the well funded, the Sherpas bear most of the work/risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You would wonder why someone would put themselves in such risky situations

Because the adrenaline rush feels really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Effects wrote: »
    Because the adrenaline rush feels really, really good.

I understand now.....geez never thought to view it that way.....thanks for pointing that out and enabling me see the light...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I understand the pollution all those people leave behind is something else too. Surely it is time to look on those who fly halfway around the world to climb the highest mountain in the world as environmentally unfriendly and selfish? Certainly not heroic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I've just finished Fergus White's book about his ascent in 2010. Someone posted about it a few days ago and I bought the Kindle version for £1.99. Absolutely fantastic read. Thoroughly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07763H6D7/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_b07763h6d7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

No way that line of people on the mountain is real

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I've just finished Fergus White's book about his ascent in 2010. Someone posted about it a few days ago and I bought the Kindle version for £1.99. Absolutely fantastic read. Thoroughly recommended.

I finished it yesterday. Great read!

• Advertisement

Annnnd sold!

Advertisement