Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

tuxy wrote: »
    Did he talk about Ravi Thakar who was also died on the team that had the perfect summit?
    Or was it reported incorrectly and he was just with the same expedition group but not team?

He didn't mention anyone else, I'd say you'll get it on podcast its only about 4 mins long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

J Mysterio wrote: »
    On a semi related note, I found this interview very interesting RE the Krakaeur V Boukreev narrative accounts.

Reinhold Messner, that man is a bloody legend. Among his many "firsts" he was the first to summit Everest without oxygen, the first to summit it solo and the first to summit all 8000 metre peaks and to do them without oxygen. It would be interesting and informative to hear his thoughts on the current state of Everest climbing. I suspect he'd not approve one little bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This thread has been very informative. If any small positive can come from these deaths it is the info people are getting regarding the perils of Everest. I have seen the photos, clicked the links, read the articles, bought the books and have been fully engrossed in Everest for over a week. Still in shock how tough it is, even before you get up to the highest altitude. People are bonkers going near it in my opinion but if that's the way you are wired good luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wibbs wrote: »
    Reinhold Messner, that man is a bloody legend. Among his many "firsts" he was the first to summit Everest without oxygen, the first to summit it solo and the first to summit all 8000 metre peaks and to do them without oxygen. It would be interesting and informative to hear his thoughts on the current state of Everest climbing. I suspect he'd not approve one little bit.

He talks about it a little here (41:59). I guess he sees the current practice as tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

pc7 wrote: »
    Noel Hanna was on Morning Ireland before 8am, same as above. Said he was 200m from camp 4 and probably felt safe as he could see it. Absolutely horrific, just so freaky. Said they had no queue issues, longest wait was 2-3 minutes while someone maybe went up a ladder.

This makes me sad. I mean, I always thought it was sad. But the reason this gets to me is that he was probably fully aware and conscious when he was blown off the ridge. If he had been suffering from the effects of the low oxygen atmosphere, there would be hope that maybe he wasn’t fully aware of his predicament. But this is different. Of course, maybe the decision to unclip to take a whizz so close to camp was made from an exhausted place. Other climbers have also said that their decision-making abilities were very compromised in the death zone because the brain is an oxygen-hungry fecker. Poor Seamus. Just really unfortunate and unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Totally agree ODB, if you felt he'd queue'd for hours or felt weak you could maybe say it was one of those things. But for him to go on ahead without Noel because he was feeling stronger and up to it, as Noel was helping the female climbers with their googles etc. who were weaker just seems so unlucky. His poor family, I cant even imagine trying to tell a 4 year old daddy isn't coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Wibbs wrote: »
    Reinhold Messner, that man is a bloody legend. Among his many "firsts" he was the first to summit Everest without oxygen
    Wow, how long did he hold his breath for.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Wow, how long did he hold his breath for.

Funny mental image alert. Somebody ascending Everest with chipmunk cheeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

360 Expeditions have two posts on their facebook page with more details about Kevin Hynes.
    The family came out and said they didn't want the tragic event to diminish the success of other members of the team.

https://www.facebook.com/360Expeditions/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I don't know if this video was posted here yet but it came up on my YouTube timeline.

Warning some gruesome scenes in it
    https://youtu.be/tcmH0__c7aw

• Advertisement

I don't know if this video was posted here yet but it came up on my YouTube timeline.

Warning some gruesome scenes in it
    https://youtu.be/tcmH0__c7aw

That’s the video that most affected me. The mealy-mouthed doctor interviewed annoyed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That’s the video that most affected me. The mealy-mouthed doctor interviewed annoyed me.
    Did you not feel sorry for her?
    First two summit attempts spoiled when she lost her Sherpas.
    Third one spoiled when she had to treat someone else's Sherpa whose fingers were frozen off.
    Finally got to the top on the fourth attempt, using new Sherpas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Ah jaysus that's put me right off it again. It's a joke really. Tables, beers, dvds lol. Talk about ruining the magic for real climbers.

recedite wrote: »
    Third one spoiled when she had to treat someone else's Sherpa whose fingers were frozen off.

No. She still wanted to summit after seeing how dangerous it was for the Sherpas setting things up. And she was questioning the ethics of climbing the mountain but was very determined to do so herself even after seeing death and destruction two years on the trot. I found her insincere. And, I’m sorry, but her attempt was “spoiled” by Sherpas dying? Yes, poor her. How awful. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Ah jaysus that's put me right off it again. It's a joke really. Tables, beers, dvds lol. Talk about ruining the magic for real climbers.

"I did it, just like Hillary and Tenzing".

Yeah, of course you did.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I feel more sorry for the sherpas, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

[PHP][/PHP]

Sherpas are liked huskies or tauntauns to some people.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Here's a video of a virtual ascent using Google Earth images.

I also agree that the thread title should now be changed to something that reflects the continuing interest in Everest, but removes Shay's tragedy from the title.

https://youtu.be/UTxpNiA_Ujc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Looks like she adopted the injured one, and brought him home with her.
    The video shows him in her clinic, looking up at her with sad eyes, and showing the stumps where his hands and fingers used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tables, beers, dvds lol. Talk about ruining the magic for real climbers.

Real climbers drink beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dante7 wrote: »

I also agree that the thread title should now be changed to something that reflects the continuing interest in Everest, but removes Shay's tragedy from the title.

Thats very interesting.

I'm just amazed they were able to drive that Google camera car right up the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dante7 wrote: »

I'll just change it to Everest.

Looks like she adopted the injured one, and brought him home with her.
    The video shows him in her clinic, looking up at her with sad eyes, and showing the stumps where his hands and fingers used to be.

I’d be going around with sad eyes too if I lost all my fücking fingers.

The DVDs don’t bother me that much. They’re at base camp for two months. I’d expect them to bring things to help pass the time.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats very interesting.

I'm just amazed they were able to drive that Google camera car right up the mountain.

The Sherpas gave it a push. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The Sherpas gave it a push. Great bunch of lads.

Great service if they put a bus on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I’d be going around with sad eyes too if I lost all my fücking fingers.

The DVDs don’t bother me that much. They’re at base camp for two months. I’d expect them to bring things to help pass the time.

Ah okay I didn't think of it that way, you'd lose your mind otherwise.

Are they all at basecamp for 2 months? In one of the youtube videos i linked earlier the american journalist done it in 2 weeks...

2 months + 50k or whatever, one hell of a commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why not build a roof over Everest??
    That way you wouldn’t get the bad weather and you could have climbing all year round. And if you fully pressurised the building like a plane is you wouldn’t even get any altitude sickness.
    Either this or else tell people to stay home and use the stair master at the gym to climb these mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah okay I didn't think of it that way, you'd lose your mind otherwise.

Are they all at basecamp for 2 months? In one of the youtube videos i linked earlier the american journalist done it in 2 weeks...

2 months + 50k or whatever, one hell of a commitment

they dont spend all their time at basecamp. they go up to the other camps and come back down again to acclimatise.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Anyone know if you can buy a copy of "Ascent Into Hell" in Dublin?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascent-Into-Hell-Fergus-White-ebook/dp/B07763H6D7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

odyssey06 wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

These lads?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tauntaun

I'm fairly sure they don't really exist outside of Starwars ... ;)

Advertisement