Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Squatter wrote: »
    Behind the blather and smokescreens it's nothing more than pure selfishness.

Would you class smokers as selfish, sure they're likely to get cancer and be a burden on the health system and their family.
    Some amount of opinionated ****e being spouted on this thread. Let the people who seek adventures do their thing and worry about how you live your own lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

tuxy wrote: »
    Is there any chance a group of Sherpas would take on the job of retrieving a body for €750,000?

By the time you pay off all the officials, transport and equipment providers, companies and middle men that combined control access to Everest, do you really think local sherpas are going to see much of 750 k ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

jvan wrote: »
    Would you class smokers as selfish, sure they're likely to get cancer and be a burden on the health system and their family.
    Some amount of opinionated ****e being spouted on this thread. Let the people who seek adventures do they're thing and worry about how you live your own lives.

Smokers are jokers. Smelly too.No one doubts they are selfish. How anyone can take up smoking or continue to smoke, given everything we know about them is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

How is this gaining so much traction in such a short time? Big contributions from well off UCD colleagues?! Its absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Smokers are jokers. Smelly too.No one doubts they are selfish. How anyone can take up smoking or continue to smoke, given everything we know about them is beyond me.

My point being that people are quick to cast aspirations when someone passes away doing extreme activities or adventures. Would they be as willing to call out their friends, family or colleagues as being selfish for smoking, highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    How is this gaining so much traction in such a short time? Big contributions from well off UCD colleagues?! Its absolute madness.

its more about virtue signalling and University politics than flushing money down the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I know this is slightly off thread but people talk about risk ...i was out cycling this morning and I was coming down a very steep hill into a corner when I noticed a local jarveys horse had obviously taken a poo on the corner .... I have to say I think I had one of my own just about to hit the shorts.

Anyway I managed to go off the racing line and just about to miss it ....big drop on the side aswell .... theres risks out there people and when it's time to check out theres not much we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Nobelium wrote: »
    its more about virtue signalling and UCD politics than flushing money down the drain

Surprised at this....considering he was a TCD lecturer.

Basically more lives would be risked in trying to recover the body, whether a gofundme goal would be reached or not.

that is the main reason that bodies, above a certain height or location are not recovered - more people could die in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some amount of opinionated ****e being spouted on this thread. Let the people who seek adventures do they're thing and worry about how you live your own lives.

Yes I would class smokers as selfish.

Many flout the smoking ban (even at hospitals) also I have seen many van and lorry drivers smoking which is also against the law.

They also drop their butts everywhere.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    how does that work with the charity thing - you raise 70,000 k and the charity gets 25,000 and you get a free Everest trip?

The charity page the 4 climbers set up has only raised €7,500 approximately to date. Deduct the fund pages hosting cut and it’s even less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yes I would class smokers as selfish.

Many flout the smoking ban (even at hospitals) also I have seen many van and lorry drivers smoking which is also against the law.

They also drop their butts everywhere.

Glad we clarified this in a thread about an Everest tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Yes,let them seek their adventures but don't expect other people to pick up the tab if the die doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yes. Odd that you'd even contemplate asking me such a stupid question.

Let the people who seek adventures do their thing and worry about how you live your own lives.

I'm not suggesting stopping them. Freedom of choice means that humans can do whatever they wish to do with their lives. But that doesn't change my view that individuals with dependants who indulge in very high risk activities are either very stupid or very selfish or both.

Basically more lives would be risked in trying to recover the body, whether a gofundme goal would be reached or not.

that is the main reason that bodies, above a certain height or location are not recovered - more people could die in the process.

Fools and their money are easily parted though, including the poor desperate family who are obvious being fed some shyte by some money grabbing charlatans that recovery is a realistic option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Climbing Everest is high risk, I'm sure he talked to his family about what to do if things went wrong. Perhaps this is his final wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

It's a natural reaction to want to perform a rescue and get the body home. Maybe after a few days or a week or so the family might consider giving the fund to charity if he hasn't been located. Any rescue above 8000 mts just risks more lives being lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

At some point, someone will have to decide that the risk is not worth it, to try and retrieve a body from a precarious location, where every step is potentially fatal. Everyone going into this sport knows it's hazards from the start line on and the chances of recovering a body are very remote. It's dreadful for the family and friends but he knew what he faced. RIP.

It sounds like he will join the other 300 or so bodies left up there.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Some horrible people on this thread.

Just wondering, this day an age could they not track his exact location via GPS or something?

• Advertisement

Climbing Everest is high risk, I'm sure he talked to his family about what to do if things went wrong. Perhaps this is his final wish.

That people raise 750k to blow on a high risk and more than likely failed attempt to retrieve the body ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just wondering, this day an age could they not track his exact location via GPS or something?

GPS was already located.
    It is not attached to the person, believed to have come off during the fall.

Also some very naiive people.
    GPS location does f all to minimize risks and won’t stop nature in its tracks.

GPS location does f all to minimize risks and won’t stop nature in its tracks.

Who expects GPS to minimise risk or stop nature in it's tracks? Do you know what GPS is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Location is one thing, getting a body down from that height is another. It's an extreme risky and dangerous operation.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Location is one thing, getting a body down from that height is another. It's an extreme risky and dangerous operation.

I'm not suggesting the body be recovered. Thread tittle is man "missing'. I'm just wondering how they couldn't track his body with GPS.

My reliable sources on Facebook are saying not to give up hope. Jesus and God and his Angels will protect him and he will be found safe and well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm not suggesting the body be recovered. Thread tittle is man "missing'. I'm just wondering how they couldn't track his body with GPS.

They found his GPS tracker. It's not attached to him

My reliable sources on Facebook are saying not to give up hope. Jesus and God and his Angels will protect him and he will be found safe and well.

I've seen some low trolling in my time, but this is right down there with the worst

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    I've seen some low trolling in my time, but this is right down there with the worst

It's an accurate account of what people are currently saying on Facebook.

Advertisement