Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

tuxy wrote: »
    It's an accurate account of what people are currently saying on Facebook.

Everyone on Facebook ? Are you on facebook ? I think i'll take your claims of being accurate with a pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nobelium wrote: »
    Everyone on Facebook ? Are you on facebook ? I think i'll take your claims of being accurate with a pinch of salt

A substation number of people (several hundred)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A substation number of people (several hundred)

One or two wasn't it. You feel the need then to come here and mock them. Bet you didn't say anything to them on Facebook though. Creep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 tempmailtest mail

Stheno wrote: »
    They found his GPS tracker. It's not attached to him

Did they? I read they have its location, 500 meters from the point he fell, and that it may have been detached, I'm not sure they physically have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

The go fund me page is nearly up to €150k now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I know hope has to be kept, but seriously that long at that altitude and exposure to extreme cold...... you’ve got to face facts.
    I think people are free to do as they wish, to risk their lives etc, but they shouldn’t expect others to do so for them in the pursuit of such danger. And those who die on Everest.... for what a view that they will soon pay the ultimate price for..... I dunno each to their own, but you gamble your life, you may lose it. I don’t think funding or others out risking their lives is appropriate here at all.

silverharp wrote: »
    I looked up a number and they said about 2% overall but goes up with age, 50 or 60 somethings the mortality rate goes up to 1 in 4.
    Yes there are various ways of calculating/representing the death rate.

It has become safer in recent decades so some feel merely expressing it as summits versus deaths since 1953 is not representative.

Significantly more than 4,000 people have attempted to summit. So if you are willing to back out, or incapable of getting high enough ... your chances are surely better. And or course some of those 4,000 have summitted more than once.

So it's not easy to represent the risk. In any case, it's not insignificant. It would be irresponsible not to consider the possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Did they? I read they have its location, 500 meters from the point he fell, and that it may have been detached, I'm not sure they physically have it.
    I heard 500 metres altitude below the point where he was last seen.
    Not sure how they ascertain that, maybe the signal from the device can be read wirelessly?

Altitude would be more important in that kind of terrain than GPS location.
    Eg step 2 metres away from the rope and fall 500 metres vertically into a crevasse. Your correct GPS reading is still only 2 metres away from where you were last seen, but your body will never be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

My reliable sources on Facebook are saying not to give up hope. Jesus and God and his Angels will protect him and he will be found safe and well.
    Unfortunately, its the Goddess Mother of Mountains, Chomolungma, who decides these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

If I was going to climb everest, I'd make it clear that if I went missing at a high hard to access point leave me be.

Id rather die than costing more lives and money to search for a frozen corpse.

150,000 go fund me...

For what?

• Advertisement

750k is quite the lofty target. I'd say his death in service with trinity is somewhere in the region of half a million if they need it.

Sure its pointless absolutely pointless, stick with the facts it's an impossible task at this stage.

I suppose the go fund me will be given to charity when they realise that there's no point in rescuing a frozen corpse on mount everest...

Its go fund me scenarios like this that make me sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    If I was going to climb everest, I'd make it clear that if I went missing at a high hard to access point leave me be.

Id rather die than costing more lives and money to search for a frozen corpse.

150,000 go fund me...

For what?

Very noble of you :rolleyes:

Thanks bud, your sentiment really means a lot to me. Better than 57 thanks.

Id get something done with those eyes though, they look a bit offside..

Specsavers???

Climbing Everest is a gamble, history shows it, and he won’t be the last person to go missing and ultimately die. To understand how futile a rescue attempt is, doesn’t mean you lack sympathy.
    It hurts me to hear of another body being abandoned on Everest, especially an Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

recedite wrote: »
    I heard 500 metres altitude below the point where he was last seen.
    Not sure how they ascertain that, maybe the signal from the device can be read wirelessly?

Altitude would be more important in that kind of terrain than GPS location.
    Eg step 2 metres away from the rope and fall 500 metres vertically into a crevasse. Your correct GPS reading is still only 2 metres away from where you were last seen, but your body will never be found.

How do they know that he is separated from his GPS ?

Fotish wrote: »
    How do they know that he is separated from his GPS ?

The news reports say they found the GPS device close to the location that they believe he fell from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Seriously though, if you were climbing Everest, surely the responsible thing to do is to say beforehand "look, if I get lost or fall, don't send anybody else in after me to die along side me. I know the risks I'm taking".

Seriously though, if you were climbing Everest, surely the responsible thing to do is to say beforehand "look, if I get lost or fall, don't send anybody else in after me to die along side me. I know the risks I'm taking".

I believe Everest has become more of an extreme holiday for rich people than responsible climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Checking the gofundme total (over 175k now) reminded me to donate to this deserving cause: https://www.gofundme.com/1mub4hln9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

The news reports say they found the GPS device close to the location that they believe he fell from.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

I believe Everest has become more of an extreme holiday for rich people than responsible climbers.

Yes and no. There are about 20 different versions of what climbing Everest means. At the top end you have self-supported climbers, no fixed ropes, no supplemental oxygen, and (at the pinnacle) climbing solo and by a new route (e.g. Reinhold Messner in 1980). At the bottom end you have the “usual” Everest summit: guided, fixed ropes, sherpas, porters, oxygen etc etc. Between these two are a variety of alternatives, but these two ends of the spectrum are worlds apart. Make no mistake: any climb into the 8000m zone is extremely difficult as an endurance endeavour.

The problem is joe punter has no idea of the difference between a "pure" climb and a commercial guided climb so when people come back from climbing Everest, they’re lauded for more than just climbing a treadmill for 8700m: they’re seen as having mental and physical courage, good judgment, technical skill and multiple other personal characteristics over and above mere fitness and grit.

So regardless of how you got to the top you'll get plaudits, money, and probably lots of the ride. It's a bit sad but it's a human thing: we're all looking for affirmation to a greater or lesser degree. People will invest their money in those outcomes, most of them without the necessary experience. Guides, sherpas, porters etc do operate as a substitute for experience in most cases, but above 8000m, things can get very serious very quickly. In that situation, the experienced mountaineer still has some margin of safety: for the inexperienced ones, the margins are wafer thin. That’s why the death rate is as high as it is, despite the supports and despite the fact that most of the other 8000m peaks (and hundreds of lower peaks and routes) are harder.

Most reports state that his GPS device (locator beacon) was found 500m from where he was believed to have fallen from.

That can be interpreted a number of ways.

However it's my belief that his beacon was not physically found, merely they have picked up the signal & determined the co-ordinates. It is 500m from the path they were on. They are cautioning that he may have become separated from the device in the fall and so it is not a guarantee his body is in the same place.

I have no source for this, it's just my hunch based on some nonsensical wording in the initial articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

He made it to base camp 4 on descent, as he went ahead of the group with a sherpa (who I believe is also missing) as was suffering from altitude sickness.

As was posted above it's a recovery mission now, but forecasts are that it could be up to four days before anything happens due to inclement weather

Is the Sherpa also missing, very sad if true, does anybody have any more information on this, very little in the news reports about the Sherpa .

Is the Sherpa also missing, very sad if true, does anybody have any more information on this, very little in the news reports about the Sherpa .
    Hard to find reliable information. Indian climber Ravi Thakar (on the same team as Seamus) died in his tent at camp 4 the day after Seamus went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

I can't disagree with you,but we don't know that it wasn't said.
    My heart goes out to his wife and family who maybe aren't applying the logic that strangers on the internet can.
    I can sort of understand the need for closure and the panicked hope that there might be a chance in a million.
    Of course he's gone,and lives shouldn't be put at risk to find him but for his family the grief is raw.
    Also there must be aquaintances,freinds or family of his reading this-might be nice to keep that in mind when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes, I agree that is a responsible sentiment, and one that is very easy for somebody removed at a considerable comfortable distance to express. However, I doubt that anyone about to set off on a trek like that would think there was any chance of them dying while trying it.

It's the "I'm sitting at a computer here and I know best" attitude I was getting at, not the responsible sentiment expressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Whatever way you cut it, it's a pretty irresponsible and selfish to leave your 4 year old child and pregnant wife to go adventure climbing on Everest.

They now have to spend a lifetime picking up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Sources I have heard from, is that Shay was suffering from altitude sickness, so himself and a sherpa descended down quicker, ahead of the group and reached base camp 4.
    He did not fall from 'the balcony'.

After that nobody knows, it's all speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Sources I have heard from, is that Shay was suffering from altitude sickness, so himself and a sherpa descended down quicker, ahead of the group and reached base camp 4.
    He did not fall from 'the balcony'.

After that nobody knows, it's all speculation.

I think the Sherpa is missing too, read the statement from last night from the company rep, he said that one of the most experienced climbers on the mountain is missing and everyone is sad. That’s not referring to the novice climber.
    I’m thinking that the go fund me page might be to help the family with income or pay off mortgages etc, as I’m pretty sure that life insurance won’t be paying out if you go climbing Everest and the worst happens. Sad that that family is devestated now, and I really don’t see what for, just very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

screamer wrote: »
    I think the Sherpa is missing too, read the statement from last night from the company rep, he said that one of the most experienced climbers on the mountain is missing and everyone is sad. That’s not referring to the novice climber.
    I’m thinking that the go fund me page might be to help the family with income or pay off mortgages etc, as I’m pretty sure that life insurance won’t be paying out if you go climbing Everest and the worst happens. Sad that that family is devestated now, and I really don’t see what for, just very sad.

it would be good to see a good chunk of anything raised being shared with the family of the sherpa if it's true he also died

Advertisement