Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granfondo Stelvio 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

deweybible wrote: »
    Supposed to be doing this Sunday fortnight. Has anyone here done it before or planning to do it?
    This is a bit concerning to say the least...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-double-mortirolo-ascent-unlikely-in-event-of-gavia-cancellation/

Might be a difficult decision on what to wear if it does go ahead on scheduled route.

Wishbone Ash is your man for this , he did it last year in bitter cold conditions , im sure he will be very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I did it in 2015 & wrote a long winded post about it at the time on another forum if you want an honest account.

It's hard.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?16783-Stelvio-in-the-slow-lane&highlight=Stelvio

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I did it in 2017. Savage cycle. The year I did it it was up to 37 deg on the day. Still nearly 20 at the summit. All of the winter gear I threw up was totally unnecessary. But you could end up with it freezing on the day. Luck of the draw I guess.

Stelvio is long but not particularly hard. Due to the heat on the day I didn't do the long route, but the Mortirolo looked like an absolute beast of a climb.

Plenty of groups about so you can suck wheels all the way up to the start of the Mortirolo and save a lot of energy. If you're doing the long route, don't faff about at the food stops. Time cut offs at Bormio for the long are doable, but tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I also did it in 2015. Pretty sure the weather for the giro was bad that year and concerns about whether the pass would open. It did seem to melt off and clear pretty quick the week leading into the event. Even driving back up the top of stelvio the day after the race it was very visible the drop off in snow cover from the race!

6 of us started the long course, I wussed out at the split before mortirolo onto the medium course, only 1 of the 5 lads who continued on the long course made the cut off to do the stelvio climb.

Theres a pub halfway up stelvio, great for a sneaky pint to hydrate and watch everyone suffering. The descent is fantastic, and cold, and if like me you're hands will be in bits from all the braking!!!

Definitely my toughest day on a bike, but I'd go back in the morning!
    The buzz of the first 45 mins freewheeling/descending the valley in a pack of hundreds!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A lot can change in two weeks and you have to remember that this is an annual thing for the authorities in the area and they will have pass open as soon as it is safe to do so. That said, its not looking like it will be open in coming days based on webcam images from just now, see below, you can keep up to date with these on sites such as this one : https://www.bergfex.com/stilfser-joch-ortler/webcams/c4771/

The pass road itself is along that curved single story building in the mid foreground. (they're the shops...)

480485.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I haven't done the Grandfondo Stelvio but I have been up the Stelvio a few times. Weather is a huge factor there.

The first time was in horrendous conditions in June last year. There was incessant icy cold rain on the climb which made it impossible to stay warm. The temperature drops about 1 degree every 100 metres so I was shivering when climbing for the last 5k to the summit. It was zero degrees at the top and I was soaked to the bone. The descent was a disaster and I had to do it at a crawl. I had lost all feeling in my fingers so I couldn't brake properly. I had to pull the levers with my full hands and, due to my uncontrollable shivering, the frame of the bike kept oscillating. I was still shivering hours later that evening in the hotel and the tips of two fingers on my left hand turned black and I lost feeling in them for a few weeks.

I've done it several times since then and I had dry conditions which makes a huge difference. It's not a particularly difficult climb. Most of the gradients are in the 5-8% zone. It ramps up to 18% for a short bit just before the multiple switchbacks and it levels out for a few kms about three quarters of the way up. The last few kms are tough going. The summit is visible but it doesn't seem to be getting any nearer.

It should be easier when doing an formal event as I'm sure the organisers will have a plan B. You'll also have the company of thousands of others. If it's forecast to be wet, bring as much layers as you can. I'd also bring 2 rain jackets and a change of gloves (wrap them tightly in cling film).

By the way, the Mortirola is a pig of a climb. Unlike the Stelvio, it's on a narrow back road with barely enough room for a bike and car to pass. It also has a lot of trees and foilage so there aren't any views as such. It turns and twists every few metres, has very steep gradients and just seems to go on and on. Lance Armstrong once described it as being 'just sick'.

Here's a pic of me doing the Stelvio for the first time. Looking at the snow, it's hard to believe it was mid-June!

egspC9Ah.jpg

PS - if you're there for a few days, the Passo de Gavia is fairly near. Not quite as high as The Stelvio but a more difficult climb with better scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I haven't done the Grandfondo Stelvio but I have been up the Stelvio a few times. Weather is a huge factor there.

The first time was in horrendous conditions in June last year. There was incessant icy cold rain on the climb which made it impossible to stay warm. The temperature drops about 1 degree every 100 metres so I was shivering when climbing for the last 5k to the summit. It was zero degrees at the top and I was soaked to the bone. The descent was a disaster and I had to do it at a crawl. I had lost all feeling in my fingers so I couldn't brake properly. I had to pull the levers with my full hands and, due to my uncontrollable shivering, the frame of the bike kept oscillating. I was still shivering hours later that evening in the hotel and the tips of two fingers on my left hand turned black and I lost feeling in them for a few weeks.

I've done it several times since then and I had dry conditions which makes a huge difference. It's not a particularly difficult climb. Most of the gradients are in the 5-8% zone. It ramps up to 18% for a short bit just before the multiple switchbacks and it levels out for a few kms about three quarters of the way up. The last few kms are tough going. The summit is visible but it doesn't seem to be getting any nearer.

It should be easier when doing an formal event as I'm sure the organisers will have a plan B. You'll also have the company of thousands of others. If it's forecast to be wet, bring as much layers as you can. I'd also bring 2 rain jackets and a change of gloves (wrap them tightly in cling film).

By the way, the Mortirola is a pig of a climb. Unlike the Stelvio, it's on a narrow back road with barely enough room for a bike and car to pass. It also has a lot of trees and foilage so there aren't any views as such. It turns and twists every few metres, has very steep gradients and just seems to go on and on. Lance Armstrong once described it as being 'just sick'.

Here's a pic of me doing the Stelvio for the first time. Looking at the snow, it's hard to believe it was mid-June!

egspC9Ah.jpg

PS - if you're there for a few days, the Passo de Gavia is fairly near. Not quite as high as The Stelvio but a more difficult climb with better scenery.

Fair play to you WA for completing that climb in those conditions! Even Pro's who are paid to ride these climbs would probably have abandoned! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

I did the long route in 2017. The weather was good that year if a small bit hot. I started in full summer gear which was fine for most of the day but for the initial downhill I was frozen from the windchill. I actually wanted to just get off the bike despite it been such a perfect, fast decent. Anyway, once the sun came out the summer gear proved to be the right choice. If I was doing it again, I'd bring a Gilet for this situation.

It's a brutal route and I can still remember vividly the pain of going up the Stelvio after bonking before even starting the climb! The Mortirolo is the hardest climb I've ever done. It gets very steep over the last kilometer or so. You need be ready for it as if you don't push hard you'll end up walking it (no chance of getting back on the bike if you stop. I know from experience here!).

As I said, I suffered a lot on the Stelvio and on thinking about it, I think I caused a lot of my problems there by pushing too hard from the base of the Mortirolo up to Bormio. It's not steep but if you get into too fast a group you can burn a lot of matches.

It's an amazing sportive in a stunning location. The difficulties just make finishing it even better. Hopefully the weather clears. It was snowing a week after I went up so clearly quite changeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deweybible

Thanks a million to all for the excellent info and reports. Much appreciated.

I had visions of only needing a rain jacket and winter gloves for the descent off the Stelvio (putting them in the bag to collect at the finish) but seems unlikely now. I remember the cold and general misery in the rain coming out of Bastogne during 2017 Liege Bastogne Liege event and had spring gloves and knee warmers on that day! Did the Marmotte last year and made the time cut easily enough on a very very hot July day so fairly confident of making the Stelvio time cut (although not as strong or skinny as I was last year!). Have a 32 on rear now after learning that 28 rear was not the best for Galibier or Alpe D'Huez.

It sounds unlikely that Gavia or Stelvio will be open as more snow forecast next week. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/watch-heavy-snow-passo-gavia-throws-queen-stage-giro-ditalia-2019-question-424006

I'm sure the organisers will have a Plan B e.g. Mortirolo X 2 ! Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

fat bloke wrote: »
    I did it in 2015 & wrote a long winded post about it at the time on another forum if you want an honest account.

It's hard.

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?16783-Stelvio-in-the-slow-lane&highlight=Stelvio

That was a great read fat bloke :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Thanks a million to all for the excellent info and reports. Much appreciated.

I had visions of only needing a rain jacket and winter gloves for the descent off the Stelvio (putting them in the bag to collect at the finish) but seems unlikely now. I remember the cold and general misery in the rain coming out of Bastogne during 2017 Liege Bastogne Liege event and had spring gloves and knee warmers on that day! Did the Marmotte last year and made the time cut easily enough on a very very hot July day so fairly confident of making the Stelvio time cut (although not as strong or skinny as I was last year!). Have a 32 on rear now after learning that 28 rear was not the best for Galibier or Alpe D'Huez.

It sounds unlikely that Gavia or Stelvio will be open as more snow forecast next week. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/watch-heavy-snow-passo-gavia-throws-queen-stage-giro-ditalia-2019-question-424006

I'm sure the organisers will have a Plan B e.g. Mortirolo X 2 ! Thanks again everyone.

4m of snow on the Gavia, apparently, but the mayor says they are doing all they can do have it open for the stage on 28th https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2019/05/18/1558166382/gavia-neve-giro-d-italia-mortirolo
    Its not clear here if the still image is from today, but with those walls of snow, if the stage does go ahead, it will be visually stunning (assuming its not raining/snowing like the year Quintana won it....)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

For anyone not familiar with trying to cycle in a state of hypothermia, here's a bit of footage of the utter misery of the descent of the Gavia in the 1988 Giro - the day the hard men cried and the stage that gave us that iconic image of Andy Hampsten cycling through the snow.

So announced yesterday that Stelvio is closed until next week. Gavia will prob be still off limits also. Disappointing although still have the Mortirolo to "enjoy". New climb to finish.
    A pity really after travelling over for it although still looking forward to it.
    Thanks for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

So announced yesterday that Stelvio is closed until next week. Gavia will prob be still off limits also. Disappointing although still have the Mortirolo to "enjoy". New climb to finish.
    A pity really after travelling over for it although still looking forward to it.

Its hard luck but its a beautiful place so you'll enjoy it either way. Still beats working!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck deweybible and let us know how you get on.

So, did the shortened event in just over 6 hours total. 24km/h average. First 50km was insanely fast as we quickly dropped down into the valley. Cool enough at 7AM, glad had gillet and arm warmers on.
    Blessed with weather overall. Very warm all day once sun came out.
    Mortirolo is some climb! 11km, average of 11% with few ramps of 20% plus. Had to clip out after an Italian fell out in front of me on concrete narrow 23% ramp 2km from top. Was fuming as determined to reach top without stopping!
    Cancano climb to finish very pretty and switchbacks great. Very hot as exposed.
    Food stops were great, with some tasty fresh fruit!

Great event overall. Pity Stelvio and Gavia still closed but whole area is a playground for cyclists. Climbed Bormio 2000 and Foscagno (2300m) while there with the snow everywhere near top of latter. Will be back to do Stelvio and Gavia sometime in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Just wondering does anyone know why they are clearing the Stelvio Pass so early this year. Usually its June 1st ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'd be very surprised if they're clearing it in order to open the pass itself. I've driven up for a look from Bormio side this time of the year before and you can only ever reach the Bagni Vecchi before meeting a barrier across the road.

As an aside I'm due to be in Bormio for 2 weeks in July on a family holiday and will be aiming for a double ascent of the Stelvio (Bormio and Prato sides). I did it from Bormio side only before on limited training and it hurt a lot. Might also try to do Gavia & Cancano while I'm there but Mortirolo holds absolutely no interest for me!

Advertisement