Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do students who repeat tend to do worse?

Options
  • 17-05-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Our teacher told us that students who repeat tend to do better overall but worse in English and Maths in both HL and OL. I'm concerned if that's the case.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have never seen any report suggesting that. Of course, not all who repeat do better than first time, but I'm not sure the SEC would have any statistics on it.
    I'm sure you could email and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Don't know if things have changed in recent decades, but I repeated (needed lots of points for my first choice) and took a D in English up to a B; can't remember what I got in Maths, but it was better second time 'round. The difference in English was entirely due to having a much better teacher for the repeat year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dublad2k15

Our teacher told us that students who repeat tend to do better overall but worse in English and Maths in both HL and OL. I'm concerned if that's the case.

If you put in the work you'll definitely see some improvements and it also depends whether you put in your full effort when you sat the leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I hope not!
    I'm looking at repeating at the age of 22, I'm hoping to go from 425 points (and not a lot of effort) to 550+ for medicine..

I know of guys who repeated and did marginally better 10 or so points.
    I know of a guy who repeated and did far worse the second time around.
    And then there's the few who repeated did great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sounds like your teacher is trying to scare you. You generally get out what you put in. That applies to everything during the course of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Put in the effort and you'll do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think there is a risk of concentrating on the subjects you know least and not giving enough attention to the ones you've done well in. You have to practice all the subjects.

Advertisement