Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Escaping to the countryside?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do. Some rural dwellers want fibre optic broadband, some want a squad car patrolling nearby to deter burglaries, others object to paying more for their phone/broadband even though it costs more to provide their home with a line because their lines are fed by overground poles on private land, some want a bus stop outside of their driveway so they won't have to pay for a taxi, I'm sure others have complained about an ambulance or fire brigade not showing up in time.

We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are. These homes are also breeding grounds for parish pump politicians, like the Healy-Raes who exploit this entitled attitude by beating the "Dublin is neglecting us" drum for their own political gain.

We have a very serious problem with one-off housing in this country and something needs to be done about it, they were banned for all but a "locals only" clause a year ago, but it's too little too late. Eircom rolled out broadband to 350k semi-rural one-off houses, if people want fibre optic internet, they should sell their homes and move to semi-rural one covered by Eircom's rural rollout.

Errr, no. People in the countryside usually have to pay double for everything
    Want good internet? That'll be a box or satellite on the house then an extortionate price every month
    A lot of houses in rural Ireland are on group water schemes that actually had or have to fund the installation and maintenance of the supply
    Want to build a house? Council will charge you €15,000 development levy just in case in future the road outside your house needs resurfacing
    We've no mains gas supply
    No public transport
    Generally you don't see your neighbours as they are so busy driving everywhere as the local shops have closed due to Aldi and Tesco in the bigger towns

I still feel sorry for people in Dublin who look down their noses at rural Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The thing is, a lot of the infrastructure is long ago paid for.
    The ESB lines are there since the 30's/40's, ( although my mothers home place only got power in the late 50's) and most phone lines since the 1960's.
    Roads are mostly 50 years established.

The problems people buying in the country run into are sometimes due to unfamiliarity with basic engineering/science.
    They buy a cottage in scenic splendour, but are blind to the fact that its in a hollow, with poor mobile coverage, perhaps with poor drainage, on a steep hill thats inaccessible in frost etc etc.

Its a falsehood to state that rural dwellers want services provided, and dont comprehend how expensive these sre.

In the country, you need line-of-sight to get decent broadband (and a local supplier) and a line of sight of the Astra satellite for TV.
    You will be on either a Group Scheme ( local co-op run) or your own spring or bored well.
    Group Scheme will cost anything between 150 and 350 a year, a bored well will cost ESB running costs and perhaps a pump engineers call out now and then. If your pump burns out, budget between 700 to a 1000 euro.
    If you need to drill a well and set up from scratch, expect to pay anything between 3500 and 5000 euro.
    You will have a septic tank. Time will come when attempts will be made to tax both it and your well, but you will probably need to get it emptied every ten years or so.
    So what I'm saying is, country living isn't for people who want "all their services provided" for them.
    The urban home owner pays these costs in the price of their house, the developer has paid all the Council levies, ESB and eircom and sewage connection costs etc, and passed on the cost.
    On the flip side, you have much more freedom and privacy.
    A lot depends on your temperment and personality.

I think that's realistic enough assessment. Our internet is far from great but we can have Netflix and similar. OH had to do some work to manage that but this type of projects are stres relief for him and last time he had nothing to do potting shed appeared on the side of the garage. :D (We don't do much potting.)

It really does depend what sort of life suits you but if you live more ruraly you have to accept that there are things you'll have to do yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Wasn't there a house recently on Daft located in the countryside. The most amazing thing I ever saw the lavatory was in a little shed outside the house itself? Apparently it was done on purpose not sure I'd believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a house recently on Daft located in the countryside. The most amazing thing I ever saw the lavatory was in a little shed outside the house itself? Apparently it was done on purpose not sure I'd believe that.

Who was the comedian who had a spiel about the Irish during the "building boom"?
    He had a line about en-suites and patios and 1000 euro Aussie barbecues.

"When I was growing up, we shat in a loo outside, and cooked and ate in the kitchen.
    Now we want to be able to shīť in every bedroom, and in the hall, and eat and cook outside" :D:D

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do. Some rural dwellers want fibre optic broadband, some want a squad car patrolling nearby to deter burglaries, others object to paying more for their phone/broadband even though it costs more to provide their home with a line because their lines are fed by overground poles on private land, some want a bus stop outside of their driveway so they won't have to pay for a taxi, I'm sure others have complained about an ambulance or fire brigade not showing up in time.

We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are. These homes are also breeding grounds for parish pump politicians, like the Healy-Raes who exploit this entitled attitude by beating the "Dublin is neglecting us" drum for their own political gain.

We have a very serious problem with one-off housing in this country and something needs to be done about it, they were banned for all but a "locals only" clause a year ago, but it's too little too late. Eircom rolled out broadband to 350k semi-rural one-off houses, if people want fibre optic internet, they should sell their homes and move to semi-rural one covered by Eircom's rural rollout.

Another piece of absolute garbage from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yep, 15 years ago. Got fed up trying to raise children in an urban environment - so much time wasted driving them to activities, so many "do not" signs everywhere, so much "stuff" everywhere. Was in England at the time, came back to Ireland for a look (at Dublin) and thought ye'd all gone mad. Figured out I'd have to work till I was 75 to pay a mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D ... so moved to :D France :D instead and bought a house with land for cash.

When I visit family in suburban Dublin (the supposed "best of both worlds within easy reach") it confirms that it was the right decision. Their lives are so busy for no apparent benefit.

What services? If you exclude urbanites who want to pretend to be living in the country, most people who "live rurally" are quite happy with not having all the attractions and distractions of an urban environment.

Even so, things are not always as backward as you might accept: I've got fast 4G broadband in the middle of rural nowhere, 9€99 a month (unlimited calls, text, data); my Dublin 16 sister has no mobile signal (coz the residents association objected to having a mast on the estate).

Absolutely the best post of the thread !

Bravo :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I Was VB wrote: »
    Ever get tired of city life?
    No, never will, I could never live outside Dublin as I would miss is too much. I get bored easily and would prefer an endless choice when it comes to eating out and pubs and I prefer not having to talk to my neighbours. Also I don't drive so country living will never be for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

An interesting point from Greyfox.
    The requirement to have your own transport and the on-going cost of it is a burden which can be eliminated from the city dwellers budget.
    Although they will have to plan their workplace etc in accordance with existing bus and tram/train routes.

As public transport never covers its costs, it is a considerable subsidy to the urban dweller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

mariaalice wrote: »
    Also if the op thinks there is no social snobbery in the countryside they are mistaken.

It’s ten times worse in the countryside than it is in the city. I’ve never encountered the type of oneupmanship in Dublin or other cities than I did in the country. And over ridiculous things too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nekarsulm wrote:
    "When I was growing up, we shat in a loo outside, and cooked and ate in the kitchen. Now we want to be able to shīť in every bedroom, and in the hall, and eat and cook outside"

I sh*t in the ensuite, only sheets that get ruined are the sheets of loo roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do.
    The thing is, a lot of the infrastructure is long ago paid for.
    An interesting point from Greyfox.
    The requirement to have your own transport and the on-going cost of it is a burden which can be eliminated from the city dwellers budget.
    Although they will have to plan their workplace etc in accordance with existing bus and tram/train routes.

This particular point highlights a couple of aspects of the urban vs. rural argument that makes a nonsense of widely held beliefs. As Nekarsulm says, as far as transport goes, the infrastructure (i.e. road) was long since paid for, and as a country-dweller, your expectations are limited to using your own vehicle on that road. Back in the city, the transport infrastructure is being renewed and
    upgraded constantly. Metro North, anyone? Who's going to be paying for that? Well, rural taxpayers will be chipping in with their couple of euro like everyone in Dublin, whether they like it or not - the very definition of subsidy. :pac:

Also, the "pro-city" side tend to cite travel times that are frequently quite optimistic, and even if realistic under some circumstances are only so because that person has local knowledge and adapted their lifestyle to the local conditions. "I can be in the mountains in 15 minutes" might well be true when you've already bought a car, or when you know that the bus passes at 7 minutes past the hour, or that there's no point even trying to get out of the estate between 7.23 and 9.07am ... If you don't have that advantage, things can be very different; living and travelling in the countryside only means adapting to different circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oasis1974 wrote: »

This week I've been eating prunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I already summarised the commuting statistics for you yesterday. Here you go (for the 3rd time now);

Dublin and surrounding counties take the top 7 places. Fingal, Dun Laoighare, South Dublin and Dublin City were 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th. So who is spending
    most of their time sitting in traffic?

The 12 towns with the highest % of workers doing a > 1 hour commute were all in Leinster.

That's very interesting. But the fact remains (or the third time) if my family moved rural we'd spend more time in cars commuting to and from work! So, with the thread title being "Escape to the countryside"... we considered as we have the option of gifted land (through my wife's family) and said no! To much times spent in the cars, we'd prefer the more active, healthier options.

That's why we choose to live coastal suburban. This affects you positively! Healthy families are less of a burden on the tax payer!

So don't get worked up about it :)

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's very interesting. But the fact remains (or the third time) if my family moved rural we'd spend more time in cars commuting to and from work! So, with the thread title being "Escape to the countryside"... we considered as we have the option of gifted land (through my wife's family) and said no! To much times spent in the cars, we'd prefer the more active, healthier options.

That's why we choose to live coastal suburban. This affects you positively! Healthy families are less of a burden on the tax payer!

So don't get worked up about it :)

More nonsense about “healthy families” who live in cities. Rural living is far healthier. Most people prefer to drive everywhere also rather than having to cycle or use public transport and driving places is much nicer and easier in the county than across cities.

I can step outside the house and drive right to the door of work on the outskirts of the city in 30 mins, literally the door (I can touch the door of work with one hand and the car with the other....that close). No getting wet, no unnecessary effort in getting to from work, alone in the car so no having people around me like on a bus etc etc. Arrive home at night and no looking for parking, no avoiding kids playing on the road park up with space around for 10 cars if I wanted (into the garage I’ll be going when I build my multi car garage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

More nonsense about “healthy families” who live in cities. Rural living is far healthier. Most people prefer to drive everywhere also rather than having to cycle or use public transport and driving places is much nicer and easier in the county than across cities.

I think the same poster was on about helping out / working in the countryside for some farmer. Maybe he cycles from the city to the countryside to get some fresh air? ;)

• Advertisement

We could drive everywhere, but that would be silly. Cycling for me is quicker than driving, we've good cycling lanes and cycling is healthier than driving, even you know this, it's not a nonsense, it's a scientific fact.

We do use the cars for shopping and other stuff, but the commute is bumper to bumper single occupant cars. I cycle past them all sitting in their cars staring at their phones every morning and every afternoon... If the weather is particularly dire I'll get the DART and still be in work before I would if I drove.

It's a no-brainer and shouldn't bother you in the slightest.
    gozunda wrote: »
    I think the same poster was on about helping out / working in the countryside for some farmer. Maybe he cycles from the city to the countryside to get some fresh air?

I help out on friends farms when I visit. We do drive though, they're both too far to cycle to and it's part of our staycation holidays. We get plenty of fresh air every day.

I can step outside the house and drive right to the door of work on the outskirts of the city in 30 mins, literally the door (I can touch the door of work with one hand and the car with the other....that close). No getting wet, no unnecessary effort in getting to from work, alone in the car so no having people around me like on a bus etc etc. Arrive home at night and no looking for parking, no avoiding kids playing on the road park up with space around for 10 cars if I wanted (into the garage I’ll be going when I build my multi car garage).

You've edited your post. I have free parking in work and room for multiple cars in the (actual existing and not imaginary) driveway, I'd probably make it in and out in less that half an hour, so no issues there. But I still cycle. It's a choice I make that shouldn't bother you in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Think of the children. Mam and Dads taxi for seventeen odd years and more until they get their own driving license. OMG.

That in itself would kill me being a ferrying service because there is NO alternative rurally really. Your own life is curtailed.

I do realise that this kind of thing happens in urban areas too, but as the kids get older, there are alternatives. And it teaches kids to be independent too.

Anyway, the transition for rurals to the city is just as traumatic as the vice versa.

Difficult to adjust to what you are NOT used to, but many have done it.

I personally could not live rurally. No doubt many would not live in a city or town either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In fairness Rambo, you’re lucky you can afford to live where you do. The problem now is no one can afford to live anywhere near the coast or the dart so they have to move to outer suburbs etc where the public transport isn’t great and takes a good while to get to centre. A lot of people wouldn’t escape to the countryside if they could afford to live where you do. Having to bus it in from citywest or swords would be as hellish for me as driving all the time in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Unfortunately, my hometown has escapees (relocated and recently given special ethnic status ) with a penchant for peddling heroin.
    A small population, with **** all services mind you, now has a heroin problem and all the crap that goes with it.
    Rural life isn't the panacea some might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Living very rural. I don't see any of the effects of crime or addiction thankfully but maybe i'm not opening my eyes to it.

While its cheaper rent wise. Transportation, shops, fuel etc all cost more.
    The time spent traveling to things is also a drawback i find at times from doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sitting in my one-off house with a cup of coffee at 7.30. Lovely morning and the dog knows it. No way I'm getting out of hear without bringing him out for a walk in the fields to find out what the rabbits have been up to. After that, it will be a shower, shave and chat with Mrs Eggs before I head out the door for work at 8.40. I'll be at my desk with a coffee, logged on and ready for a action at 9. I finish at 5 and will be home at 5.20 ( going home traffic can be mental)

Yes, there are downsides to country living, but I couldn't hack adding hours of commuting to my working week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think this thread has demonstrated that everyone is different.

And it would be really boring if we were all one homogeneous group

It would be really crap if everyone lived together in the city and it would be really crap if everyone lived rurally.

Balance is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

In fairness Rambo, you’re lucky you can afford to live where you do. The problem now is no one can afford to live anywhere near the coast or the dart so they have to move to outer suburbs etc where the public transport isn’t great and takes a good while to get to centre. A lot of people wouldn’t escape to the countryside if they could afford to live where you do. Having to bus it in from citywest or swords would be as hellish for me as driving all the time in the country.

Well from Citywest you have the luas and also a big number of businesses you could work in based in Citywest itself.

Just because you live in Dublin doesn't mean you have to work in the city centre.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

Dublin is crawling with tracksuit clad scumbags. What is that all about. I don't see the same thing in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Lived and studied/worked in Dublin since I was 17 (apart from a few stints abroad). I'd say for college and your twenties it's much better than being in the schticks, so much more to do, better jobs and career prospects, and every girl you meet won't be related to someone you know/have dated your friend before.

In my early thirties though now that I'm settled I'd much prefer to live back home in Sligo in a nice house there. No need to be in Dublin anymore really. Sadly I bought property here and my missus is from here so it's not likely to happen any time soon. At least where I am is outside the M50 so it's sort of a mix of both, albeit a very expensive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Think of the children. Mam and Dads taxi for seventeen odd years and more until they get their own driving license. OMG.

That in itself would kill me being a ferrying service because there is NO alternative rurally really. Your own life is curtailed.

Depends on what you call "life" :pac: ... and my city-dwelling parents spend a huge amount of time providing a taxi-service for their urbanite grandchildren because my suburban siblings don't have the time to do it all.
    While its cheaper rent wise. Transportation, shops, fuel etc all cost more.
    The time spent traveling to things is also a drawback i find at times from doing things.

Swings and roundabouts. Because there's "more to do" in an urban environment, children get enrolled in more activities, but because the activity has a huge population to draw from, they can organise their timetable to suit themselves, so parents pay the price in terms of taxi-services and calls on granny for an hour's babysitting. In rural communities, there's arguably more coordination between the service provider and their customer base, and chances are there'll be two or three children from neighbouring families heading to the same activity, so it's easier to arrange lifts.

We had a discussion about this urban-rural divide at one of my association meetings, and the urbanites were jealous of us country-folk, because by the time the counted the minutes to leave their apartment, cross two streets, wait for public transport in the evening, and walk the last bit of the way, they were spending at least as long as any of us in getting to where they needed to be. And they always had to leave "early" or risk missing the last bus/tram/metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cina wrote: »
    Lived and studied/worked in Dublin since I was 17 (apart from a few stints abroad). I'd say for college and your twenties it's much better than being in the schticks, so much more to do, better jobs and career prospects, and every girl you meet won't be related to someone you know/have dated your friend before.

In my early thirties though now that I'm settled I'd much prefer to live back home in Sligo in a nice house there. No need to be in Dublin anymore really. Sadly I bought property here and my missus is from here so it's not likely to happen any time soon. At least where I am is outside the M50 so it's sort of a mix of both, albeit a very expensive one.

Small town Ireland, everyone knows and/or is related. Inbreeding a regular risk

I was lazy last weekend and me and kids didn't go anywhere except to the shop to replenish some bbq supplies. (Oh had to but there are some unavoidable things on atm.) I think my total time in the car last week including commuting, taking kids to the school, driving to activities and shopping was less than 4 hours for 7 says. I didn't do any other travel. I would say that's fairly reasonable. There are quite a few other people who have similar commutes so I wouldn't exactly conclude that all of us living ruraly spend our life in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

Get back behind that counter and fix me my Americano quare live-lah, you beardy little ballacks.

• Advertisement

Dublin is crawling with tracksuit clad scumbags. What is that all about. I don't see the same thing in other cities.

We're just really health conscious here, the LA of Europe they call Dublin, we like a jog in our tracksuits before brunch or sushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I Was VB wrote: »
    Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

so that’s why I want to move to Leitrim, nice and quiet, just a few acres of land and a little cottage, potter around the garden, wake up in the morning to the sound of a cock a doodle doo, instead of a cock in a BMW driving in the bus lane. Get away from city life, just me and the country air, and a few retired freedom fighters and Semtex weapons dumps, get a job in a bar for €250 per week, that’s the dream. Anyone ever do it?**

* I realize most of these problems aren’t exclusively city related.

** probably not going to move to Leitrim or the arsehole of Ireland in the immediate future but thinking about it the last while and I need some inspiration.

We used to live in suburban Dublin. Circumstances necessitated a move and we are now in the country, albeit still in Dublin. 200 metre driveway, an acre of land and a house that's 150 years old and is way bigger than your average semi-d brick box and enormous compared to an apartment. Both of us are less then 30 mins from work and we're 5 mins from Tesco Extra/Lidl etc.

I always wanted to live in the country and the reality is even better than I hoped. The main disadvantage is that we need two cars.

We used to live in suburban Dublin. Circumstances necessitated a move and we are now in the country, albeit still in Dublin. 200 metre driveway, an acre of land and a house that's 150 years old and is way bigger than your average semi-d brick box and enormous compared to an apartment. Both of us are less then 30 mins from work and we're 5 mins from Tesco Extra/Lidl etc.

I always wanted to live in the country and the reality is even better than I hoped. The main disadvantage is that we need two cars.

I'm glad you're happy but it does not compute in my head why you'd want to have to walk 200 meters down your driveway to get in and out of your house!
    All that land must be a mare to look after too. I'd take a brick box any day over that. I suppose this is the conclusion of the thread, some prefer being in the thick of loads of folk and some don't.

I'm glad you're happy but it does not compute in my head why you'd want to have to walk 200 meters down your driveway to get in and out of your house!
    All that land must be a mare to look after too. I'd take a brick box any day over that. I suppose this is the conclusion of the thread, some prefer being in the thick of loads of folk and some don't.

It's oh so quiet... shhh… shhh… it's oh so still...

Privacy. No pollution. No traffic. A lake right beside us. A swing set for my daughter. Space to put up a hammock... which is exactly what I going to do right now.

Back to your box.

You drive down long driveways mostly, walking them would be rare.

You drive down long driveways mostly, walking them would be rare.

I've never owned a car so I don't think it would suit me :pac:
    How do your kids go and play with other kids in the area though? We used to just go out on the streets and play kerbs and squares etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’ve got my stake on a place in the wicklah hills, serene little spot away from all the forore soon to be designated hillbilly retreat. I’ll be bringing a dash of colour but run for the hills was right all along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

How do your kids go and play with other kids in the area though? We used to just go out on the streets and play kerbs and squares etc.

Those days are gone in cities these days. Get mown down by skobies on scramblers and quads

I didn’t have a long drive we do live at the end of a narrow lane about 1.5km long, used to play with one neighbor about 500 metres away but mostly my friends were school friends from the general area within say a 5km radius, I’d get dropped to their house to play or they to ours. Playing with cousin or siblings then in the garden would be regularly too.

Out around the farm with the grandfather or father would be a regular evening/weekend pass time too from a young age or visiting uncles farms for the weekend.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd ever want to live somewhere remote, my ideal would be within an easy commute of a decent sized town. I like the city, I like having options for things to do and places to go and I like the buzz of city life but I also like a bit of space and quiet.

I don't think one is superior to the other, both have pluses and minuses depending on how you want to live your life.

There's a community playground 500 metres away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Anyone watch Tonight on tv3 last night?

Anyone looking to move to the country may have to rethink their plans

Apparently Matt Cooper said last night that unless you're a Farmer you've no right to live in a rural area

I saw a fox twice this morning while running. And it was a big one too. :D That kind of stuff gets me in good mood.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I saw a fox twice this morning while running. And it was a big one too. :D That kind of stuff gets me in good mood.

I always see them at night in Dublin 5. Love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Care to expand on this "pay their way." comment...

I live in a remote location through my own choice of course and happily pay for the following and dont expect it laid on for me either...

* Initial installation and Maintenance of a deep bore water well and associated water treatment unit for all my water needs.

* Initial installation and Maintenance of my waste water treatment unit.

* Paid to bring ESB & Telephone lines to my location.

* Initial installation & Maintenance of a underground GEO thermal ground collector for all my heating needs, as you would expect natural gas pipe line is not passing by my door.

I happily pay for the above and knew it from day one when designing my house, I most certainly would consider "I pay my way"....
    And? Would you expect it to be otherwise?

Every urban dweller has paid for their connections to these grids as part of the cost of their home (the developer originally paying for connections to services, this forming part of the cost of the house when new and that value forming part of any second hand purchase in the same fashion that the investment you've made in your property's connections would form part of the sale price of your home were you to sell it on now).

A key difference would be the ongoing maintenance costs of electric and telephone connections would be far, far lower per house in the urban areas (simple economies of scale when more properties are connected to the same length of power /telephone line).

The urban / rural wealth transfers can be most easily seen in our local government. Most Councils outside of the major urban centres would have been bankrupt decades ago if not for their subvention by urbanites.

Rural areas are also massively over-represented politically. A county councilor in Laois or Leitrim will be representing a much, much lower number of citizens than their equivalent in Fingal or Cork City. Not only does this mean the cost of the councillors activities per citizen is much higher in a rural council, it also means the rural dweller enjoys more access to (and representation by) their local government representatives than those in the urban areas (who are subsidisng the costs of that representation via the subvention of the rural councils!).

Another obvious example of urbanites subsidising rural dwellers (and of this over-representation in politics) would be the choice of property value rather than land area, floor space as the basis for our property taxes when most economists were advising the latter (or a hybrid approach).

Almost all public servants living outside the urban centres are overpaid. Were salary levels being negotiated locally, there's no way a teacher, garda or nurse would earn the same salary in a rural location as they'd earn in an urban one (their unions obviously basing their pay claims on urban costs of living).

With their more disperse locations, the costs of providing emergency services to rural dwellers are far higher than the per capita cost of providing them in urban areas.

Even when we get to such things as public transport (which admittedly can be poor to non existant in rural Ireland) but where it exists and in the forms it exists, the highest loss making routes for CIE are almost all rural ones, the losses from these routes then have to be recouped from the profitable urban routes resulting in rural dwellers getting better services than they're paying for while urbanites get worse services than they're paying for.

Rural dwellers are quick to point to public investment in urban areas when things like Metro North, the Luas etc. as evidence that "them baxtards in Dublin get everything while we get nothing", conveniently ignoring that such projects pay for themselves over time and serve such dense populations that the cost per citizen for them is actually quite low.

In short: public expenditure in Rural Ireland is higher than public revenues (taxation) from Rural Ireland. The shortfall is paid for by (sub)urban dwellers who pay more in tax than they receive in services and capital investment.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »

Don't be snotty, you suggested rural dwellers expect everything done for them which was completely ridiculous. Also bit rich consdering the show of urban entitlement that was water charges protest.

As for other claims, I have no idea how accurate they are but if you value people just by financial contributions you might need ti kill off pensioners and those on welfare.

Edit: and just to add if urban dwellers wouldn't oppose to any development that affects their low density urban way of life then less people would need to live in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Apparently Matt Cooper said last night that unless you're a Farmer you've no right to live in a rural area

Before scheduled TV finally dies, expect it to strike out in extreme fashion like a cornered rat. It'll get more and more outlandish before its final death scream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Sleepy wrote: »

Every urban dweller has paid for their connections to these grids as part of the cost of their home (the developer originally paying for connections to services, this forming part of the cost of the house when new and that value forming part of any second hand purchase in the same fashion that the investment you've made in your property's connections would form part of the sale price of your home were you to sell it on now).

A key difference would be the ongoing maintenance costs of electric and telephone connections would be far, far lower per house in the urban areas (simple economies of scale when more properties are connected to the same length of power /telephone line).

The urban / rural wealth transfers can be most easily seen in our local government. Most Councils outside of the major urban centres would have been bankrupt decades ago if not for their subvention by urbanites.

Rural areas are also massively over-represented politically. A county councilor in Laois or Leitrim will be representing a much, much lower number of citizens than their equivalent in Fingal or Cork City. Not only does this mean the cost of the councillors activities per citizen is much higher in a rural council, it also means the rural dweller enjoys more access to (and representation by) their local government representatives than those in the urban areas (who are subsidisng the costs of that representation via the subvention of the rural councils!).

Another obvious example of urbanites subsidising rural dwellers (and of this over-representation in politics) would be the choice of property value rather than land area, floor space as the basis for our property taxes when most economists were advising the latter (or a hybrid approach).

Almost all public servants living outside the urban centres are overpaid. Were salary levels being negotiated locally, there's no way a teacher, garda or nurse would earn the same salary in a rural location as they'd earn in an urban one (their unions obviously basing their pay claims on urban costs of living).

With their more disperse locations, the costs of providing emergency services to rural dwellers are far higher than the per capita cost of providing them in urban areas.

Even when we get to such things as public transport (which admittedly can be poor to non existant in rural Ireland) but where it exists and in the forms it exists, the highest loss making routes for CIE are almost all rural ones, the losses from these routes then have to be recouped from the profitable urban routes resulting in rural dwellers getting better services than they're paying for while urbanites get worse services than they're paying for.

Rural dwellers are quick to point to public investment in urban areas when things like Metro North, the Luas etc. as evidence that "them baxtards in Dublin get everything while we get nothing", conveniently ignoring that such projects pay for themselves over time and serve such dense populations that the cost per citizen for them is actually quite low.

In short: public expenditure in Rural Ireland is higher than public revenues (taxation) from Rural Ireland. The shortfall is paid for by (sub)urban dwellers who pay more in tax than they receive in services and capital investment.
    You could say the same for health system
    Very little in rural Ireland, hospitals are in urban areas
    Same for public transport
    Third Level

All paid for by taxes of rural dwellers without getting any of the direct benefit on their doorstep

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    You could say the same for health system
    Very little in rural Ireland, hospitals are in urban areas
    Same for public transport
    Third Level

All paid for by taxes of rural dwellers without getting any of the direct benefit on their doorstep

So where should the hospitals actually be, if not in the most densely populated areas? Do you want one on every boreen in Ireland?
    Dublin brings in more tax money than the rest of the country anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Then you havnt looked around, like at all. What other cities are you talking about? Dublin isnt crawling with handsy prostitutes at every street corner after dusk like barcelona, just one example . But yeh grass is always greener and all that..Im always so shocked by all the deluded adults on here who think Dublin is the worst place on earth , yee dont know a thing about the real world and have lived an incredibly sheltered life if you think anything of the sorts

• Advertisement
Advertisement