Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Shop Street look so bad?

Options

Comments

topcat77 wrote: »
    I'm just not a fan of a tarmacadam finish. It might be practical but it looks cheap and not what you'd expect on the premier pedestrian retail street in the west of Ireland.

And what would be your opinion if they went ahead and installed fancy-dancy paving at a far higher cost on a temporary surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

And what would be your opinion if they went ahead and installed fancy-dancy paving at a far higher cost on a temporary surface?

If it's temporary, I've no problem. I just hope it's not the final finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Tarmac might be better if City Council are going to continue to allow heavy rigid trucks down the street with stock delivery's into the future

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Tarmac might be better if City Council are going to continue to allow heavy rigid trucks down the street with stock delivery's into the future

Very good point. I'd of liked street furniture and keep the medieval feel. Not going to happen when it's not fully pedestrianised.

Very good point. I'd of liked street furniture and keep the medieval feel. Not going to happen when it's not fully pedestrianized.

Would rather it not - address the root cause but this is Galway City Council. Other European Citys with much larger pedestrian core areas seem to manage stock delivery in a far better manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

By all means, when (if) it's fixed, I'll miss my game of jumping down shop street avoiding the puddles during the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you have suggestions for better ways to deliver 30+ kegs to a pub, do share.

Lads doing the work have told Mr OBumble that the pause is temporary while they see how well the various tests around the side stand up to being used.

Personally I like walking on the tarmac: a lot safer, and kinder to women's shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Lads doing the work have told Mr OBumble that the pause is temporary while they see how well the various tests around the side stand up to being used.

Is it the company’s first job? Various test!! Surely this is done and thought out in the PLANNING stage, mr bumble sounds guilable

Is it the company’s first job? Various test!! Surely this is done and thought out in the PLANNING stage, mr bumble sounds guilable

Not necessarily. There is an element of "you don't know what you'll find until you start digging"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's a new type of paving ( in ireland anyway ) that is meant to withstand water egress and movement coming from underneath, popular in holland, it is thought out in the planning phase but practical beats theory every time, what works in venice might not work in galway, you seem like the disbelieving type so dont mind me, youre obviously more a cynic than gullible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I'm just not a fan of a tarmacadam finish. It might be practical but it looks cheap and not what you'd expect on the premier pedestrian retail street in the west of Ireland.

I guess you would expect premier retailers there too. But hey, What can you do...

If you have suggestions for better ways to deliver 30+ kegs to a pub, do share.
    I do and I am not inventing this - this is done in loads of City's in Europe. Scale it down. Both mode and cargo. The issue is not 1 keg or 10 kegs. its the weight of said delivery vehicle with all the kegs for every pub in Galway City and beyond going down Shop St every morning. Create a distribution center down the docks. Last leg of the journey could be done with various vehicle types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's a new type of paving ( in ireland anyway ) that is meant to withstand water egress and movement coming from underneath, popular in holland, it is thought out in the planning phase but practical beats theory every time, what works in venice might not work in galway, you seem like the disbelieving type so dont mind me, youre obviously more a cynic than gullible
    The tarmac looking stuff is the new paving? I've only seen it briefly on Saturday and it was busy so maybe I missed something. Didn't think it looked the worst. Looks better than the mess it usually turns into anyway

I do and I am not inventing this - this is done in loads of City's in Europe. Scale it down. Both mode and cargo. The issue is not 1 keg or 10 kegs. its the weight of said delivery vehicle with all the kegs for every pub in Galway City and beyond going down Shop St every morning. Create a distribution center down the docks. Last leg of the journey could be done with various vehicle types.

Edit: Not sure why this reply didn't appear originally but here it is:

I've often seen keg deliveries out of delivery hours when they can drive down the streets. It's not that big and issue. Kegs are quite a convenient shape for moving when laid on their side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

xckjoo wrote: »
    The tarmac looking stuff is the new paving? I've only seen it briefly on Saturday and it was busy so maybe I missed something. Didn't think it looked the worst. Looks better than the mess it usually turns into anyway

No, the finished product will be using materials that is supposed to prevent water damage to the paving from beneath, the tarmac is a temporary surface

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

Seen this done in some eastern european cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

xckjoo wrote: »

No, the finished product will be using materials that is supposed to prevent water damage to the paving from beneath, the tarmac is a temporary surface

What will the finished product look like?

The tarmac looks fairly 'final' to me but it does have an odd shape with paving either side, so it must be temporary I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What wrong with the paving / tarmac mix of the new section. They should just do the whole street in that manner. Probably a lot cheaper that paving the whole lot and cheaper to maintain in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jobs for a whole fleet of bicycles - sure they'd be the whole day completing the delivery one keg at a time. Though somehow I'm thinking that the cellarmen wouldn't be so amused. Neither would the customers who have to pay even more for their pints to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What wrong with the paving / tarmac mix of the new section. They should just do the whole street in that manner. Probably a lot cheaper that paving the whole lot and cheaper to maintain in the long run

Yeah, the bit around Easons is fine I think. If they continue with the same design that would be perfectly grand. It is even and pleasant enough. It has been ten times worse than that in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The tarmac is far better than what came before and whatever is to come next I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

pjohnson wrote: »
    The tarmac is far better than what came before and whatever is to come next I'd imagine.
    I like the mix of tarmac and paving ... Looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Can somebody throw up a couple of pics?
    I'm not in town anymore but still trying to keep up to date.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Can somebody throw up a couple of pics?
    I'm not in town anymore but still trying to keep up to date.
    Cheers.

Second that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Visible from the claddagh jewellers webcam.

Jobs for a whole fleet of bicycles - sure they'd be the whole day completing the delivery one keg at a time. Though somehow I'm thinking that the cellarmen wouldn't be so amused. Neither would the customers who have to pay even more for their pints to fund it.

You have a big bee in your bonnet about cycling. Was actually thinking of transit vans for delivery's of kegs. They are light vehicles in comparison with rigid trucks. Bikes could be used for other goods though, more space for retail as well if you have nearly "on demand" delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

pjohnson wrote: »

One this that is not fine at all is the extremely odd shape of the tarmac. The paving on the sides is not symmetrical at all. At one point its jutting X feet out from Ryan's and on the other side, its a far shorter amount. It just looks off, like one giant irregular pothole. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It looks fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

One this that is not fine at all is the extremely odd shape of the tarmac. The paving on the sides is not symmetrical at all. At one point its jutting X feet out from Ryan's and on the other side, its a far shorter amount. It just looks off, like one giant irregular pothole. :confused:

Ah jaysus sure what's it doing on ya for f*ck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

According to an engineer on Galway Bay FM it's going to take five years to get it right, you would build a motorway to Cork in half that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Storm 10 wrote: »
    According to an engineer on Galway Bay FM it's going to take five years to get it right, you would build a motorway to Cork in half that time

Would you now? Ah shur alright so.

Advertisement