Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Shop Street look so bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hasnt it looked bad for years now at this stage, why suprise us with any great change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    According to an engineer on Galway Bay FM it's going to take five years to get it right, you would build a motorway to Cork in half that time
    Did he say any more about what the issues are? I've always heard it's the old sewers and stuff underneath but that could be an old wives tale

xckjoo wrote: »
    Did he say any more about what the issues are? I've always heard it's the old sewers and stuff underneath but that could be an old wives tale

It's not an old wives tale at all

https://www.water.ie/projects-plans/our-projects/galway-sewer-rehabilitati/

https://galwaydaily.com/news/multi-million-upgrade-underway-on-victorian-city-sewer-network/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You mean to tell me they weren't already?
    This would go a long way towards explaining the state of the street
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/council-proposes-ban-on-heavy-goods-vehicles-using-shop-street-in-city/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/council-proposes-ban-on-heavy-goods-vehicles-using-shop-street-in-city/

How exactly do you think that the pubs get their beer delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How exactly do you think that the pubs get their beer delivered?

Middle Street and Market Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Yep, the times I've been done there on a week day morning it's full of HGVs so of course the surface gets wrecked and it's not a pleasant or particularly safe place to walk through. Needs to be pedististran only 24 hours.

Middle Street and Market Street

Fine for those those few back entrances. Does nothing for Garavan, Murphys, Taffes, Tig Choili, The Quays, 1520.

And all the shops and restaurants that get deliveries too.

Fine for those those few back entrances. Does nothing for Garavan, Murphys, Taffes, Tig Choili, The Quays, 1520.

You seem to have a weird thing about pubs getting deliveries. Most of those have back doors for deliveries and only two are even on Shop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

You have a big bee in your bonnet about cycling. Was actually thinking of transit vans for delivery's of kegs. They are light vehicles in comparison with rigid trucks. Bikes could be used for other goods though, more space for retail as well if you have nearly "on demand" delivery.

https://connachttribune.ie/hgv-ban-for-galway-citys-pedestrian-streets-009/
    "
    Heavy Goods Vehicles are to be banned from using Galway City’s pedestrianised streets – to be replaced by light vans or electric pallet trucks.

City Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said this week there will be “extensive consultations” with hauliers and business people over the plans, which are part of the current overhaul of the pedestrianised zone.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I did not know that Shop Street was a two way street

zell12 wrote: »
    Before the city was ruined by them pedestrianising it :D
    I've vague memories of being squashed onto those footpaths. Does anyone know when pedestrianisation came in?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Before the city was ruined by them pedestrianising it :D
    I've vague memories of being squashed onto those footpaths. Does anyone know when pedestrianisation came in?
    The road was closed to traffic in June 1998 - the council had signs with a 'countdown' that was updated in fits and spurts by sticking a new number to the sign.

I remember as it was also a countdown to my Leaving Cert.

Paving was done a couple of years later.
    zell12 wrote: »
    Fadó fadó in Éireann
    It was one way when it was pedestrianised.

I like the Guard on points duty at the top of Eglinton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Presumably they are stopping work on Shop Street for the Christmas fairly soon? Getting more packed with shoppers by the day and half the street is still dug up with barriers all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Presumably they are stopping work on Shop Street for the Christmas fairly soon? Getting more packed with shoppers by the day and half the street is still dug up with barriers all over the place.

They have no plans to stop the work, everything needs to be pretty for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It looks like they are nearly done and all things considered they seem to have done a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some amount of complaining around Shop Street today. Very difficult to get up and down from Lynch’s Castle down. Especially anybody with a pram or baby buggy and there were a lot of those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Only two of those on Shop St.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Only two of those on Shop St.

I know where William's, Shop High and Quay st boundaries are. Most people don't and just call the whole thing Shop St.

And my point stands.

I know where William's, Shop High and Quay st boundaries are. Most people don't and just call the whole thing Shop St.

And my point stands.

If so then why list four pubs that are clearly not on Shop St. but are on Mainguard or Quay St? And all close enough to non-pedestrianised roads to get early morning deliveries from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seathrun66, leave it please
    We'll just call the whole area Shop Street which most city dwellers do, even if we know it's really several different streets

biko wrote: »
    Seathrun66, leave it please
    We'll just call the whole area Shop Street which most city dwellers do, even if we know it's really several different streets

There's enough misinformation on forums without pandering to people who post factually inaccurate stuff. The poster referred to six pubs on Shop St. Only two of them are on that street. Everybody I know in Galway is aware of the differences between the streets and none refer to Quay St or Mainguard St as Shop St.

Those streets also have much more access to roads for deliveries so I believe the poster was massaging information to get a point across. Incorrectly. Allowing people to do that has given us Trump, Johnson, Orban, Erdogan and several other dodgy characters.

And my point stands.

I wish it had legs to stand on.

TRY AGAIN
    "
    Heavy Goods Vehicles are to be banned from using Galway City’s pedestrianised streets – to be replaced by light vans or electric pallet trucks.
    "

I wish it had legs to stand on.

TRY AGAIN
    "
    "

You forgot this bit:
    there will be “extensive consultations” with hauliers and business people over the plans, which are part of the current overhaul of the pedestrianised zone.

What do you reckon the outcome of these consultations will be? How much to do you reckon businesses will need their rates reduced by to compensate for increased delivery costs?

Some of ye don't seem to have a clue about the logistics of running a business.

In other news, Shop St is looking well. Lots of the central parts have been tarmac'd (long may it last) and the edges have decorative tiling, and there's only one spot of fenced off roadworks, in front of Taffe's former shop.

Personally I'd be in favour of leaving the tarmac long term: it gives the street a structure as well as an easy surface to walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You forgot this bit:

What do you reckon the outcome of these consultations will be? How much to do you reckon businesses will need their rates reduced by to compensate for increased delivery costs?

In other news, Shop St is looking well. Lots of the central parts have been tarmac'd (long may it last) and the edges have decorative tiling, and there's only one spot of fenced off roadworks, in front of Taffe's former shop.

Personally I'd be in favour of leaving the tarmac long term: it gives the street a structure as well as an easy surface to walk on.

Agree with the tarmac do the whole street top to bottom in tarmac then a nice line of say maroon tiles at each side I think it would look nice and as you say easy to walk on and no loose tiles for the compo culture gang

The tarmac is a temporary surface only

Once the trucks are stopped from going through there won't be a problem with the new surface when it's laid

As for rates, stop the compo claims with a new surface, no issues. Allow trucks to continue making a mess of it, see increased claims and increased rates to pay for the premiums for those claims

It's simple really

What "clue" do you have about it?
    Only right there should be consultation - it is long overdue.
    I know 2 business owners/landowners on said streets (not Shop Street) who are not happy at all with the current situation as it is impacting on the morning trade.
    All I know is this has all been done before in many other European Citys, no re-inventing the wheel required here.

What "clue" do you have about it?
    Only right there should be consultation - it is long overdue.
    I know 2 business owners/landowners on said streets (not Shop Street) who are not happy at all with the current situation as it is impacting on the morning trade.
    All I know is this has all been done before in many other European Citys, no re-inventing the wheel required here.

Allowing deliveries in the pedestrianised area before 9am or after 6pm is one solution. But absolutely no HGVs. Enough damage already done.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Allowing deliveries in the pedestrianised area before 9am or after 6pm is one solution. But absolutely no HGVs. Enough damage already done.

True - another option that could be done in tandem is to create a distribution hub for delivery's nearby as well. Then do smaller Delivery's from there using various methods . A bit like what occurs for Eyre Square Shopping Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It was grand back in the day

Advertisement