Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Shop Street look so bad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True - another option that could be done in tandem is to create a distribution hub for delivery's nearby as well. Then do smaller Delivery's from there using various methods . A bit like what occurs for Eyre Square Shopping Centre.

Ahh yeah. So this morning as I walked up Merchant's Rd, there were three HGV's parked on the roadway (bus stop or double-yellows, and another one pullin out of the delivery bay. All doing deliveries into the back of the Eyre Square centre / Dunnes stores. Where exactly is this "delivery hub"?

And to give readers an idea of the scale of it, i took a couple of pics. Firstly the number of kegs dropped off at O'Connells today - other pubs on "Shop St" will have had similar.

497430.PNG

And the truck that dropped them off:

497431.PNG

How many lightweight vans do you think it would take to deliver this much stock? Remembering that this is only one brand - there are many others deliveries, too.

FWIW, this truck looks tiny compared to the actual HGVs in Merchant's Rd,

And yeah, I know it's the Christmas delivery. But other times it's race-week or arts fest or first week of college or whatever. The infrastructure needs to be able to cope with predictable peaks like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Ahh yeah. So this morning as I walked up Merchant's Rd, there were three HGV's parked on the roadway (bus stop or double-yellows, and another one pullin out of the delivery bay. All doing deliveries into the back of the Eyre Square centre / Dunnes stores. Where exactly is this "delivery hub"?

And to give readers an idea of the scale of it, i took a couple of pics. Firstly the number of kegs dropped off at O'Connells today - other pubs on "Shop St" will have had similar.

How many lightweight vans do you think it would take to deliver this much stock? Remembering that this is only one brand - there are many others deliveries, too.

FWIW, this truck looks tiny compared to the actual HGVs in Merchant's Rd,

And yeah, I know it's the Christmas delivery. But other times it's race-week or arts fest or first week of college or whatever. The infrastructure needs to be able to cope with predictable peaks like this.

Pubs & shops are completely different business, apple and oranges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So your solution is to continue to allow these heavy HGV's continue to roll up and down "Shop St" once it has been resurfaced?

So your solution is to continue to allow these heavy HGV's continue to roll up and down "Shop St" once it has been resurfaced?

Put a decent surface (not silly heel-catching tiles) on it, and yes it is. I don't see a problem with using streets to deliver stuff to businesses.

I would like to see the street closed to all traffic (inc two-wheelers) by 9:30am though.

Put a decent surface (not silly heel-catching tiles) on it, and yes it is. I don't see a problem with using streets to deliver stuff to businesses.

I would like to see the street closed to all traffic (inc two-wheelers) by 9:30am though.

There is no surface you can put down that won't be knackered by HGV'S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Put a decent surface (not silly heel-catching tiles) on it, and yes it is.

Same old solution then. That really worked well in the past :rolleyes:
    Don't recall anybody on this thread having issues with using streets to deliver stuff to businesses? Its how you do it. That's the clever part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That wouldn't be just one brand actually. Other Diageo beers and anyone willing to pay Guinness for distribution would also be on that truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Will the bin lorries be excluded from going down shop street?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I feel sorry for those people standing in shop street holding the advertising signs.what a horrible job.I assume their payed minimum wage but what a lousy way to earn a living.

I assumed that there would be a proper investment in the footpaths pre Galway 2020. We're trying to show ourselves off to the world and yet there are so many potholes on every path, for example the path through Eyre Square has loads of potholes, its our main park and I know it takes heavy footfall but surely that would mean that it is top priority.

I was delighted the other evening when I saw that there were loads of barriers up protecting fresh concrete on University Road the bit before Tesco Express because its like a patchwork quilt of work that has worn down differently and looks terrible. Walked up that street last night and they've again only concreted parts of it, must have been a private company digging it up again rather than the Council redoing a hazardous street as I assumed to make the city look presentable. I think they either need to make private companies replace all the concrete when they do these jobs or put a levy on all work done that would go towards repairing the footpaths and roads.

The amount they must be spending paying people off who are getting hurt rather than just repairing the paths frustrates me no end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I assumed that there would be a proper investment in the footpaths pre Galway 2020. We're trying to show ourselves off to the world and yet there are so many potholes on every path, for example the path through Eyre Square has loads of potholes, its our main park and I know it takes heavy footfall but surely that would mean that it is top priority.

I was delighted the other evening when I saw that there were loads of barriers up protecting fresh concrete on University Road the bit before Tesco Express because its like a patchwork quilt of work that has worn down differently and looks terrible. Walked up that street last night and they've again only concreted parts of it, must have been a private company digging it up again rather than the Council redoing a hazardous street as I assumed to make the city look presentable. I think they either need to make private companies replace all the concrete when they do these jobs or put a levy on all work done that would go towards repairing the footpaths and roads.

The amount they must be spending paying people off who are getting hurt rather than just repairing the paths frustrates me no end

They were doing water main works recently and they hit the wrong pipe, disrupted supply to past of the university and Fisheries Field premises. Still working on repairs, they have a temporary pipe with tarmac over it going into the apartments across from the cathedral. I imagine that's what all the bits of tarmac etc are along University Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Galway city is just miserable place in general

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cena, don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

biko wrote: »
    cena, don't post in this thread again.

Why

cena wrote: »
    Why

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cena carded, don't post again or it will be a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NinaGood

That's a temporary thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

It was grand back in the day

Thats a really cool picture.
    Great colour and clarity.

Same the building on the left got replaced with a super dull 1960s building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paddico wrote: »
    Thats a really cool picture.
    Great colour and clarity.

Same the building on the left got replaced with a super dull 1960s building

I saw it on twitter. Its an Nuig project actually led by one of the founders of boards to add colour to old black and white photos. If i come across the name of it ill post it later on

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I saw it on twitter. Its an Nuig project actually led by one of the founders of boards to add colour to old black and white photos. If i come across the name of it ill post it later on

This is the account in question: https://twitter.com/irelandincolour

A fantastic project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

aw wrote: »
    This is the account in question: https://twitter.com/irelandincolour

A fantastic project.

Cool, thanks Aw

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Looks like that new asphalt on shop street is getting dug up!

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

topcat77 wrote: »
    Looks like that new asphalt on shop street is getting dug up!

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

That tarmac was only temporarily in place

That tarmac was only temporarily in place

New tarmac sections have been laid in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wait is the new surface outside easons only temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

what i was trying to show is that whatever surface get's laid it'll be dug up within months for remedial works. it could be that the HGV are putting undue pressure on underground utilities or it's just a legacy due to the city's age.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

The latest piece carried out yday is only for the Royals coming next week. She can’t get her feet wet and is coming out the side door of St Nicholas’s church, in the back door of Tigh Coilis, out the front door an across to the Kings Head. It’s only temporary really as the street itself will be upgraded similar to the rest of the street heading up towards Eyre Sq eventually

Advertisement